Just Lost ALL My Mornings Work...

HumbleChief

Not sure if this was your situation.....but, I have been caught using a new plan going to (File -> New Plan) and not saving it (being used to the auto-save feature) and had a crash or something causing CA to close and there is nothing to show for it.

That is why I use a template I copy to my desktop and not a "New Plan".  Because there is not saved location on a new file, so it has nothing that can be "auto-saved", archived....anything.

4 minutes ago, jbaehmer said:

Not sure if this was your situation.....but, I have been caught using a new plan going to (File -> New Plan) and not saving it (being used to the auto-save feature) and had a crash or something causing CA to close and there is nothing to show for it.

That is why I use a template I copy to my desktop and not a "New Plan".  Because there is not saved location on a new file, so it has nothing that can be "auto-saved", archived....anything.

Thanks Jared but this was an older file, I had been working about 1 1/2 hours and Chief crashed. According to my setting there should have been an auto archive saved at least every hour but nothing at all no Layout file, no plan file, absolutely nothing.

There are files from yesterday and it looks like they should but today's work just gone.

Yeah...I have noticed something also where just a day or so ago, CA crashed and when I went to where it was saved, the file was gone.  I did have an archive file, so I didn't think much of it.  I thought it was just me and a one-time thing, but it sounds like it may be others too.  Sounds like something for Tech Support.

I can see the frustration there....especially when you have the setting correct and it still vanishes and losing hours of work.  It sucks!

ok, what part of the plan or layout were you working on. Just trying to help jog memory :)

I would be suspicious of the ssd, can you try put your plans on a disk drive?

just saw your last post on hot keys, starting to wonder if there is a problem with the data folder? 

Is there any background processes running that might be affecting the folder. like back up routines, system back up commands etc

just thinking out loud, I dislike technology problems as much as you do right now! :)

I was working on a Layout and 3 plan files. have no idea what command caused the crash.

Complicated scenario. I have 2 license. One license was set up to send archive in to one location the other another location. I looked for the archives in the wrong location, found nothing, gave up, opened the old file saved it and that over wrote the actual auto archived file so that work was officially gone. So wish I was smarter.

I change locations for the archives and that changed my hot key set up so the hot key issue is moot.

I prefer to do my own "archives" so I do "save as" often

sometimes every few minutes - other times after I finish a task I don't want to repeat

as a former programmer it became a habit and I don't rely on auto-archives

its nice they are there but I prefer to do my own

Lew

• Upvote 1

Years ago, we were working on a medium size project using Chief, it would crash several times, we dumped it and moved to ArchiCAD, man, I have never seen it crash since we bought it!! It's my 99% go to program now. 

Still use Chief for small SFD on and off... Basic CD's only, nothing more.

A few weeks ago, I was having at least a crash an hour, thinking that it was the video card...

The auto archives saved nothing!!  Kind of scary. So I got in the habit of saving every five minutes with a hotkey.

A long story short, I discovered that it was an "apphang" problem with Windows. Not sure if this is your situation Larry, but if it crashes again, have a look and see why.

This screen shot is what I ran through to clear the problem, and knock on wood, it has not crashed since.

On a side note, I wonder how many users have experienced crashes, only to find that the Auto Save is not archiving the file (after a crash).

apphang.JPG

I rarely get crashes- had a bad plan the yesterday. Turns out an arch block my assistant made didn't like the way I reset cabinet defaults. Tech is checking it.

Anyway- I didn't get what I expected from the archives so I changed the autosave setting to 10 minutes. I'm not sure what happened since I usually have a twitch that goes "ctrl + s"

Any way I checked the archives on project I was working on today and maybe I don't understand how they work?

Pic is what I am getting with autosave set to 10 minutes- doesn't appear that way. I know my twitch was active today, does saving prevent autosave from happening?

autosave.jpg

I've noticed more crashes on my Windows machine than my Mac which is unusual. However the auto archive function has worked on both. I had one instance recently where a crash occurred about an hour into an elevation plan. I constantly save plans but didn't think to save the camera view and you guessed it.... camera view was lost, my fault. Just a reminder to others, save your elevation windows after the first line is drawn! :-)

• Upvote 1

You young whippersnappers probably don't recall the days of Chief when we were trained by experience to use the F3 key (hotkey for Save) like it was a telegraph key. Most kept a finger on this key at all times, and every couple of actions would tap this for self-protection. I still do this to a certain extent, and have never lost more than a couple of keystrokes worth of work.

Yes ...the good old days. Before the golden archive parachute was invented!

After all these years, I still use the letter Z as the safety net. (No control plus another key.) There aren't too many words in our business with a z in them. :)

....just tap on it fifteen minutes or so.   Old habits die hard!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this rather than start a new thread , I opened Chief X9 this morning and it wanted to Update itself to build 19.2 so I let it do that , then opened an old Template file (needed metric) of my own from X7  and worked for about an hour+ and laid out the Walls roughly so the Owner could use the drawing to take better measurements for me rather than a giving me another napkin scribble today , I took a view and printed it to PDF (thankfully) just fine , then clicked on the save icon, made a new Client folder , typed in the name for the plan and hit enter to save it and Chief Crashed . I got the Windows 10 Error message , so had no choice but to close the program, I wasn't too worried as I assumed I'd have an Autosave at least in the Archive Folder  , but there is nothing , nothing on the recent files menu about it etc , it like I didnt just spend an hr or two on this at all... just poof gone....not even anything in the Time LogBook.

I didn't have any issues with the previous Build but not sure if this is related to the use of the old Metric Template file originally made it X7?  (and me not remember this morning in my rush,  to save the Plan as soon as I opened it.. ...don't assume settings like in the OP will save you...lesson learned I guess.)

Sorry forgot to "follow" this post so I didn't get an email saying there was replies.

Unfortunately , I forgot the "Save immediately when you open a new plan " mantra yesterday , though I am still surprised that we are now in X9 and the Program does not remind or ask us to save the File immediately on Opening if no previous save is found , since we still get these "out of the Blue" CTD now and again , especially when saving files, it's not a new issue , just hasn't happened to me in sometime thankfully.