Leaving X7 Back To X6

KenL-sdd

Go to solution Solved by KenL-sdd,

EDIT:  "Let me start by stating that Chief is a wonderful cad package. X7 is by far better than any other cad package I have used. If it was between X7 and other cad packages I would use X7 not questions asked"

I personally know of a number of people having the slowness issues in X7. Generally the designs I do are complex.  At this point I am going back to X6 until Chief resolves the problems with the complex patterns such as brick and stone. The slowness of x7 is killing my productivity. I will miss some of the new features and look forward to the fix.

Curious if others have made the same decision?

see old post to see the issue  # 13

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4547-x7-is-s-l-o-w/#entry39530

I have read the complaints about X7 like everyone else. I have observed that on my PC X7 is a little slower (a little slower). I realize that "slowness" is a subjective and personal matter based on experience. I would just also point out that a Windows PC's performance is not identical, machine to machine due to the variability of hardware and the variability of maintenance and use of that hardware by the end user. Only instances of behavior that will be found on all Windows PC's can be directly confronted and handled by Chief Architect Tech Support (if they can see the same results you are getting, then they can then AND ONLY THEN, do something useful for us all. 

The main slowness I have observed is when I open the Library Browser, it takes a moment for the library images to parse or appear on screen. On my PC this takes about five seconds from the time I open the Library Browser and select a visual category to view. The visual display of the Library Browser is much appreciated but does seem to tax my PC's video card more than X6 does BUT the X6 Library Browser is still harder to use, if "faster" . This is something that should be relatively easy to duplicate and observe.

DJP

The new features in X7 over X6 makes it a keeper for me. Yes there seems to be a few situations where things appear a bit sluggish but it's no deal breaker. The odd crash I have encountered is obviously a bit disturbing but with the auto save set every 5 minutes I've never really lost much, and it is rare. It's not like the "BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH". I also know for me that this only happens when I've got a lot of stuff running, maybe it's just time for an upgrade.

Graham

I have read the complaints about X7 like everyone else. I have observed that on my PC X7 is a little slower (a little slower). I realize that "slowness" is a subjective and personal matter based on experience. I would just also point out that a Windows PC's performance is not identical, machine to machine due to the variability of hardware and the variability of maintenance and use of that hardware by the end user. Only instances of behavior that will be found on all Windows PC's can be directly confronted and handled by Chief Architect Tech Support (if they can see the same results you are getting, then they can then AND ONLY THEN, do something useful for us all. 

The main slowness I have observed is when I open the Library Browser, it takes a moment for the library images to parse or appear on screen. On my PC this takes about five seconds from the time I open the Library Browser and select a visual category to view. The visual display of the Library Browser is much appreciated but does seem to tax my PC's video card more than X6 does BUT the X6 Library Browser is still harder to use, if "faster" . This is something that should be relatively easy to duplicate and observe.

DJP

David

Chief Tech Support has confirmed the issue with the plan I submitted. If you look at the link to the old post there is a video of X7 vs X6 and a plan that others have downloaded and are seeing the same issues on the same plan between X6 & X7. I understand that slowness may be subjective. That is why I posted a plan to make all the same except X6 vs X7. I would be interested for you to watch the video and download the X6 file. Run the same checks in x6 & X7. I have not had X7 crash as of yet. The library browser does not seem to be a problem on my machine.

Thanks for the help.

I have had no more crashes in X7 than in X6, I have noticed only minor slow down. However i do not do renderings so dont have a lot of symbols, and hence file sizes are generally in the 10 to 30 Mb  range (often smaller). Also at the time of upgrading I also went from an nvidia gt560 (1MB)  to a gtx660 (2Mb) graphics card as I had it lying around from my sons gaming machine.

Staying with 7 for those plans that are in it. I've got too much work invested in X7 plans and no time to muck with it. The biggest issues I had were with X6 plans brought over so keeping those where they are but they are mostly finishing up. New work will all be in 7.

It's a bit annoying but not brutal, crashes stopped, just sluggish (but then so am I).

Couple of days ago I loaded my secondary, Interiors license, onto the Dell (less juice) to see if we could use it with my new hire. I didn't spend much time on it but it felt snappier- like 6.That machine has fewer other programs at start up and is Win 7 Pro. We will also be swapping it back and forth to a Mac that doesn't with about the equivalent juice. I'll hope to be able to keep an eye on what is up there as I get that machine up and running. Will be in use on Thursday at least some. I expect to be upgrading that license to Premier within a week or so but I'd be surprised if that makes a difference.

I really would like to find some time to trouble shoot what's on the system that may be causing trouble. Be a while before I can fiddle with mine though.

switching the library view to Vector view may help those with slower cards with that issue ..... ( in Preferences>Library)

I to have the slow print dialog issue but , don't use it a lot , so no reason not to stay in X7...

M.

Ryan posted this note in the other thread about X7 slowness:

We have identified a performance problem with pattern lines and are investigating a solution.  It is most apparent on models with high density pattern lines (and often difficult to detect with low to average density patterns), which helps to explain the inconsistency of reports and lack of reproducibility regarding performance degradation in this area.

He was able to find a solution that we think will solve the major problems that Ken is seeing.  This fix will be available with the 17.2 update that should be available some time in the near future.

There have been lots of other random comments by lots of people on lots of threads though.  Some of these don't appear to be related at all so I'm not sure if the update will solve all of these issues.  If you are experiencing any problems with X7 (slowness, crashes, or any other undesirable behavior), then please contact our tech support team and work with them.  Some of these problems may be plan or machine specific and tech support will need to gather all of the relevant info before we can properly identify the cause.

Thank you for helping us find and fix these problems.

Dermot,

Thanks for the update! I am glad to hear the fix will be soon. I do enjoy the new features of X7 . Chief tech support is good as always!

For the others with issues please document and report to tech support as Dermot mentioned. This is the only way Chief can resolve any issue.

Thanks to all!

• Downvote 1

I don't have as much a problem as others do but I also have a newish laptop with all the bells and whistles. As stated above, the library takes about 5 seconds to open up for selection, but I don't find the 5 seconds to be a reason to dump it for X6. I'm more concerned with as to why my video card will just stop functioning and require me to shutdown the software and restart. I have sent in the error reports and leave it up to the binary crowd to figure out the issue. I'm a residential designer, not a computer programmer, we pay them to look after these things and so far Doug has done a pretty good job at it. Next year I get another new laptop that will even be better than this one, and I'm already talking to a shop about finding me a PC that can handle this software with two monitors. So X8 and two new work platforms and life should be better...or the same, but it won't be worse. :)

While I am sure the CA software has a few issues, its nothing compared to some of the issues I had with Revit and Architectural Desktop. I'll suck up the 5 second delay, which is exactly the same amount of time it takes to take a sip of coffee and adjust the music selection. Keep smiling guys and gals, it's not all bad. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The 17.2 update is now available.  There were several performance improvements made that should make X7 faster then X6 in many cases.  If you are still experiencing any slow performance problems with 17.2, please report them directly to our tech support team.

"Still a lag for me."

I was afraid of that.  From what I have heard, no one else has been able to duplicate your exact problems yet.  There is something very unique about your system or setup that is causing the slow down for you.  The only thing I can suggest is working directly with our tech support team until we can properly diagnose the problem.  We won't be able to make any fixes until we can figure out why it is slow for you.

I know this goes against the popular belief but for myself I had a similar lag effect with X7 and the resolution was to downgrade my display driver to an earlier version. This resolved the issue.

Through a lot of searching I discovered a significant amount of commentary on these display drives along with revision updates. In a nut shell, updates do not necessarily contain core performance improvements especially if your card is several versions old. The display driver people have taken a one driver suits all approach and therefore the revision changes may only be applicable to newer generation graphics boards or to accommodate some specific game. They usually publish update release notes so you can see what the major changes are.

In my situation I had the most recent Nvidia driver for my GTX 650 Ti. I went back and found the earliest official Nvidia driver (released in 2012)  for this card and installed it, lag was gone. It's worth a try as it only takes a few minutes to do.

Graham

The only problem with that is that I can put up X6 and X7 on the same computer and the same screen and you can see the lag difference, so I think the lag is built into X7 or X7 doesn't agree with something or another program on my system.

Dermot, I'm not the only one seeing this.

The only problem with that is that I can put up X6 and X7 on the same computer and the same screen and you can see the lag difference, so I think the lag is built into X7 or X7 doesn't agree with something or another program on my system.

Dermot, I'm not the only one seeing this.

Perry - That was the same for me. The only change that I am very suspicious of is the addition of the ability to adjust core (thread) optimization in Preferences Raytrace in X7. I may be wrong but I think a lot of new graphics drivers are also incorporating some type of thread optimization. Maybe there is a conflict between the Chief threading method and the graphics driver method. This could explain why downgrading my driver resolved my lag issue, the older driver may not have had any thread optimization coding and therefore no conflict.

Graham

Perry -  This could explain why downgrading my driver resolved my lag issue, the older driver may not have had any thread optimization coding and therefore no conflict.

Graham

The Nvidia Control Panel allows you to turn Threaded Opts. on/off or put on Auto ..auto is the default (Global) , this assumes you have CA setup on the 3D management Page , Nvidia Drivers have had it enabled/auto for quite some time , as far back you giving me your Nvidia settings P. about a Year ago, maybe longer ?  

post-315-0-25831800-1431456402_thumb.jpg