New ChiefTalk

tommy1

Joe,

You will still be able to access and read the content on the old forum.  New content however will be created on this new forum.

If for instance you wanted to ask a question about a post on the old forum you could add a link to that post in your new thread on the new forum along with your question.

Brian,

You indicated They will however be available in an "archived" read only state for some time.  Essentially thru 2014.  IMO that's not long enough.  OTOH, it might be nice to enforce the guidelines about keeping on topic within the new threads on the new forums.

I might also say that I think that all moderators should be a bit "thick skinned" about criticism.  Sometimes users get frustrated - it's not personal.  I have in fact seen and been ripped by at least one moderator on a couple of occasions - which I didn't believe was in any way justified and caused me quite a bit of emotional distress.

You indicated They will however be available in an "archived" read only state for some time.  Essentially thru 2014.  IMO that's not long enough.  

Joe, 

If at the end of the year we feel like there is still value in the archived old forum and our users are telling us that there is then we can re-evaluate that cut off date.  It is definitely not set in stone.

You indicated They will however be available in an "archived" read only state for some time.  Essentially thru 2014.  IMO that's not long enough.  OTOH, it might be nice to enforce the guidelines about keeping on topic within the new threads on the new forums.

One year is our target date. If there are good reasons to extend that let's explore that at the end of this year. We also have to consider the long term viability of the Vbulletin software and consider the user data that is stored there. We have to be careful about hackers getting at that information. That means keeping that software updated as well as this forum.

In regards to any concerns over losing information, we are always adding new content and updating old content on the Knowledge Base based on what people are discussing on the forums and issues that we see trending in Tech Support.

What that means is that the old information on the old forum will eventually lose it's value but you will still have access to the most common topics through this new forum and the online resources.

• Upvote 1

at 125%  zoom I still have to scroll to the right to see all of the forum

this is going to be a PITA for me :(

I just had cataract surgery so maybe when I get my new glasses

I can use 100% zoom and it won't be an issue

CA if you can fix this please consider doing so for us "old farts" who have failing eyesite

Lew

I appreciate that you will be keeping older posts available for searching; but I would hate to lose this information in only a year.

I rely heavily on searching the forum to get information and solve problems. I find it a far more usable resource than the help section, or the manual.

All of the other help available is cursory; Chieftalk is a place where things have been explored in depth. This archive of information is important in that it helps me to explore the limits of what is possible in Chief.