I have decided that trying to follow two forums is just way too confusing

so going forward I will only follow this forum

CA should disable the ability to post new threads on the old forum

and leave it as a searchable archive only

CA should also only allow access to the old forum via this new forum

CA should also set the URL to this new forum as WWW.CHIEFTALK.COM

Lew

I agree 100%

I find it extremely useful in getting an idea of how new a person is, how involved they are, how experienced they are, etc.  It may not always be accurate, but it is definitely useful in my opinion.

That was an excellent reason. The number of posts is definitely a gauge of another's knowledge.

I have decided that trying to follow two forums is just way too confusing

so going forward I will only follow this forum

CA should disable the ability to post new threads on the old forum

and leave it as a searchable archive only

CA should also only allow access to the old forum via this new forum

CA should also set the URL to this new forum as WWW.CHIEFTALK.COM

Lew

Yep,

Here's the plan. After this forum is up for a couple of weeks and we know that users are not having major issues signing up or seeing this forum we will lock posting on the other forum.

Leaving posting open on the other forum was calculated to allow the other forum to support any signup issues on this forum and to allow threads to die out over there.

At that time www.chieftalk.com will be redirected to this ip. The old forum will get a different url and we will update the link on this site to point at the old site.

We also are working on updating the search engine on the main www.ChiefArchitect.com site to search this forum and old chieftalk.

Dan:

thanks for the follow-up

two weeks of confusion may be too much tho ???

maybe if all the regular posters only post here

that may "force" the others to come on over

I'm willing to post and simple "please re-post on the new forum"

on the old forum

but if some continue to answer new threads over there then ???

Lew

I'm not usually one who is resistant to change, but I'm finding lots of little things that seem less productive than the previous forum's tools. My latest gripe concerns the attached thumbnails and how they are navigated. Specifically I hate the new "flyout" tabs that take you to the previous and next images. "Prev" flies out in the upper left portion of the screen and "Next" flies out clear on the other side of the screen. Add to this that the close tab remains in the lower right hand corner and you have to wheel all over the screen. I've got a 30" monitor. That takes 24" to cross the screen and another 12" to 30" to get down to the close tab depending upon which side of the screen you start from. Do I qualify for frequent flier miles for my mouse travel? 

As I mentioned before I also really miss the simple "previous thread/next thread" links. I must be the only one who cares but the only way I've found to get back to the previous thread is to hit the "Back to General Q & A" link and then scroll around to find it again.

Just my .02 worth.

Is there a WHAT'S NEW BUTTON?

I use this all the time   to show only the posts that I have not seen yet.

i could not find it in my searches. I to use the feature every time I log on. I can understand the history of to much data but the complete change in format is beyond me at the moment. I may not be understanding the rationale behind all the changes. I would assume that "cutting the cord was more expedient for Chief

Is there a way to get the most recent posts at the top of this window? Right now the most recent is at bottom and I must scroll down to see most recent.

lets hope this is a work in progress and that the programmers get the kinks worked out in a timely manner.