Remodel/addition Question

Joe_Carrick

For those of you who do a lot of remodel work.

Have you considered using 2 or even 3 Plan Files to show:

1.  Existing and Demolition

2.  New

or

1.  Existing

2.  Demolition

3.  New

IOW, having 2-3 Plan Files with one Layout File?

It would seem this could really simplify the ConDocs by avoiding having to show New and Demo at the same time.  It would also make it easier to determine the existing areas vs the finished areas.

I draw the entire house and site plan as is and I call that plan file "Original Plan" and I will use that one of course for my demo plan.

Then off of the original I start a plan file called "New Plan" and I start to draw my addition off of that.

So I have in every customer file folder:

• Original Plan
  • New Plan
  • Layout Plan

and I will now be adding one plan for all my details and custom work that will most likely be duplicated to every job file from a template file.

Ditto on the existing and new plans, on existing I will put a hatch in a wall if it need to be removed and then put a cad block for a wall and a note demo wall and existing walls, this way they know what needs to be removed and what stays 

I do Existing and Proposed Plans too , the Existing Plan is a good stepping off point (safety net) especially if the Client isn't really sure of what they want ,sometimes there are 3 or more "Proposed" Design Ideas , which sometimes leads to a "Final Design Plan " too, melding them altogether.  I don't usually do a separate demo plan , though perhaps that's something I should look at a bit more. 

M.

I know it is "heresy" here

(but when has that ever stopped me)

but I usually create the "new" plan first

so that I can get to the clients ideas faster

and show them the various alternatives

once we are done playing

then I will create the as-built plan in detail

by cloning the "new" plan and then stripping out the new stuff

all depends on how critical the dims are during the "play" stage

if you don't like this method then feel free to rip it apart

but it doesn't matter I will continue using it anyways ....

Lew

I usually have AT LEAST 2 plans...As built and Remodel, although whenever there is a notable change in the remodel design I do a Save As and give the plan a new name so I can always look back or revert to an older idea if necessary. It usually ends up looking something like this...

Smith Residence As Built.plan

Smith Residence Kitchen.plan

Smith Residence Kitchen 2.plan

Smith Residence Kitchen 3.plan

Smith Residence Kitchen 3.layout

Smith Residence Permit Plans.pdf

Smith Residence Cabinetry.layout

Smith Residence Cabinet Layout.pdf

And any number of detail layouts and PDFs for specifics tasks or subcontractors

My workflow is much like Alaskan_Son's, and I use Perry's method to feed several layouts more or less automatically.  Project information is fed in by way of an  Excel worksheet, which is mostly cut and paste from  county records and excel worksheets designed for project information, area, and solar clearance calculations.

These are not live values, but mostly don't need to be as they are entered near the end of the process.  I've become so frustrated with the limits of Ruby (in Chief);  it's just easier (and less complicated)  to use Visual Basic in excel, where things work in a predictable manner with few limitations.

What I would really like is away to keep values live between Excel and Chief.

Now that I think of it. I start several plans off the original house layout I draw and name them 101,102, 103....... Because I have several different floor plan ideas I present for the initial design but when they choose one I delete the others and then of course I'm just back to the existing and new layout.

johnson_before.plan 

Duplicate three times 01 02 03

Determine client's best of the three options

Change file name of selected to johnson_selected.plan and make all final adjustments and add details.

Return to johnson_before to save as johnson_demolition.plan for con docs but always retaining the clean "as built".

Finish up with two plan files being used and the rest shifted to johnson_rejected_archive folder.  

I do love the hierarchy of folders.