How Many Templet Plans Do You Use?

4hotshoez

Template plans are designed to save time. But how many do you set up and how do you organize them?

When do you choose to make a new templet and when do you just make the adjustments for the differences?

If you have many (10) and you need to make the same change in all 10, Does that defeat the purpose of saving time by managing templates?

When I reinstall or install a version of Chief, I customize my Preference settings and then open my "profile.plan" and customize it. Then I open and customize the layout templates I commonly use.

I ahve never done otherwise than the above, nor felt the need to add to that routine.

DJP

For me the building defaults are either existing or decided by someone else so I set those as needed.

I have about 9 for different cabinet makes and construction -top drawer, toe, and top rail height; inset, overlay and frameless.

I did save one for raised ranches with a building in place and have a couple of extra with 9 foot ceilings with stacked cabinets. Occasionally I can open an old plan and work off that.

For me the building defaults are either existing or decided by someone else so I set those as needed. I have about 9 for different cabinet makes and construction -top drawer, toe, and top rail height; inset, overlay and frameless. I did save one for raised ranches with a building in place and have a couple of extra with 9 foot ceilings with stacked cabinets. Occasionally I can open an old plan and work off that.

Have you thought of having one template plan,  open and save that,  copy a base,  upper and full cab type from a cabinet "warehouse" plan into your new plan and SETTING THAT PARTICULAR STYLE CABINET as the default cabinet style with one fell swoop via the SET AS  DEFAULT TOOL?

I also have just one plan and layout template, in the past I have had lots of different ones but it's just too much to keep them all current. The templates are pretty much generic for slab conditions but I have most of the different conditions (raised floors, etc..) off to the side of the page, so I can either delete, or just drag into the layout. The layout and plan are already linked so everything except cabinet elevations are sent to the layout, as is all camera views, and as I change my plan template the changes are already on the layout, except for sections and elevations which you must re-open and close to update. Even all section callouts are already on the plan and layout, It might be blank but it's already there and I jut move it in place, that's a lot faster then trying to create them since Chief won't let you copy them.

Just tried a variation on Scott's suggestion. Opened a plan then placed cabinets in it -nothing else- set each to a specific configuration and saved as a template. So any one of those cabinets can be used to set the default which will take care of the toe, top drawer, etc. mentioned below. I'll work with that for a while- would cut down on templates - still doesn't really solve the switching problem-wish select same load same had a way to deal with it.

Scott-Hadn't tried that -just gave it a shot now to see if that is better...not sure it is but will try it a little further to see.if it is an improvement.

One issue I found off the bat is the toe height.

If I set a toe height for a cabinet to say 4" and remove the "D" but the plan has 4" as the default it adds back the "D" . So if I send it to the  library and drag it into a plan with 4-1/2" toe it switches to that . IF it is a drawer base (variations of which are the most common cabinets I store) that changes the drawer heights.

Guess I could change the default on the plan, then change the cabinet toe to a non default and then add one to the library for each variable to use to reset the defaults

A couple of critical elements in cabinets don't respond to defaults; top drawer height and construction (Inset, frameless, overlay) are two.

I have: 2 toe heights, 4 top drawer heights, 2 reveals on frameless, 3 for overlay, 2 top rail heights for inset walls...two templates configured as traditional overlay (one frameless and one full overlay) so that I can make the top and bottom reveals match the specs.

Biggest thing for me is the need to make multiple variations for a client or change is mid stream....Doors style and color are easy. Construction and brand not so much once everything is in place.

Would be nice to streamline it all (or have more cooperative clients :), so far templates have helped. I'll try your suggestion a bit- I'm open to anything.

I believe that I cannot use just one Layout templet, because each project and each phase of a project will use various sheet sizes to communicate different information to different people. For example, for this one project, I have generated dozens of 8 1/2 x 11 sheets for each room (plan, wall elev, 3d view) for the client to approve cabinetry for each room. Then I have generated 30" x 42" sheets of electrical and lighting layouts for the electrical contractor to review. I have a different layout for each sheet size. Am I taking the wrong approach in using Layout templates?

Todd,

I use just one Layout Template but multiple sheet sizes.  It takes a bit to set it up to work but it can be done.  I'm not the only one that does this.

Essentially, I have one Layout Template that has several different Borders,  Each Border has it's own set of Layers and it's simply a matter of switching Layer Sets and Page Print Sizes.

Ah another issue has come up that is related to this discussion. When I have a plan and "save as" to create a new version, all the Layout links are for the previous version. I can update the links one camera at a time, but is there an easier and quicker way?

Ah another issue has come up that is related to this discussion. When I have a plan and "save as" to create a new version, all the Layout links are for the previous version. I can update the links one camera at a time, but is there an easier and quicker way?

Yes there is. The long answer is in the SAM VIDEOS.  

You are relatively new,  I would recommend you watch the MRLS,  THE SAM and the ANNO SET VIDEOS @ chief tutor.com at this location.....   

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall/

I strongly believe these are some very good videos that will give you a good foundation to put together a set of plans.  I have also done some follow up videos on these subjects on the old forum,  (use key words  "VIDEOS BY DSH"   and on YOUTUBE.

Todd:

I do a double "save as" - very quick, very easy

master plan and layout are always the same name

thus they stayed linked together

I'll do a "save as" with date and time and LBX6 added for the backup/archive

then I do a "save as" with the master names

master naming scheme:

123_MAIN.plan and 123_MAIN.LAYOUT

backup/archive:

123_MAIN_141215_1725_LBX6.plan

123_MAIN_141215_1725_LBX6.layout

I add my initials when I work on the files

my partner adds his when he works on the files

we used to use subs for some tasks and they would use their initials

Lew

You can use the layout annotation sets to set up your different page sizes. Once set up, one click, its done. All of my standard details are already in the layout plus extra details off the page, to the side for quick insertion or deletion if needed. Others like to keep their details in another plan but I like mine in the lib.