Why is X6 so slow?

SteveT

I am not 100% sure whether it is X6 needing more resources or if it is my laptop.

The thing is I cannot try the programs with the changes in X5 to see.

Opening the legacy version of the plans that are giving me trouble in X5 with no problems.

And the changes are not that intense to have such an effect. 

If you have any X5 plan that is slower in X6 please let our support team know and get them the plan, steps to reproduce the slowness, and a measure of the difference you are seeing if possible.

While we are aware of a couple of issues on Mac, 3D generation being one of them, we are probably not aware of all the possible scenarios so having things to look at will help us to identify and fix the issues.

Our goal was to make X6 faster, in many cases we did, in some we didn't.

We did make launching of Chief significantly faster, so I'm puzzled about the slow launch comment. It may be a slow internet connection, but other than that it should be fast. You could test that by temporarily disabling your networking.

It is likely that X6 is using more memory so if you are running low on memory that could be a cause.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this best to post here - I am experiencing slow and sluggish behavior on a new machine that was just built.  I can't figure out why and what is going on but when working THE SAME plan on my laptop it screams but on my new desktop there is a noticeable delay - for instance when working with roof planes and trying to connect them in either plan or 3D It takes less than 2 seconds on the laptop to join two roofplanes and almost four seconds on the new machine.  Each running the exact same version of the software and again working with the exact same plan.

Laptop - I7 3720QM - 2.60 (WEI 5.4) w/14MB ram, standard SATA drives, Nvidia GTX 675M

Desktop - I7 4770k - 3.50 (WEI 7.7) w/16MB ram, Kingston 256G SSD, Nvidia GTX 770

What gives?  Any suggestions on what to check?

I think I see in the right click menu where it says "run as administrator".  This is not how I start the program - I start it normally by clicking the icon.  I am posting the plan since that always seems to be a good idea.  Maybe I have something flubbed.

** Edit ** A couple of observations.  When I start the program, open the file, and go directly to manipulating roofs it seems to work like it should.  However, once I generate a 3D view or move a wall or do any other function that is when the sudden slowdown occurs.  This is the same condition on both machines - so my feeble minded conclusion is either I have something in the file that's messed up or maybe something in the way I have CA configured?  I read an earlier post about slow responses with roof editing - is that what I am experiencing?

CA Trouble.zip

Normally one should not run Chief as Administrator as that will cause some things to not work as expected.

I played with your plan and found that everything I did was snappy. Less than a second to join roof planes etc. Even did some roof editing in 3D and is was quit quick. Not sure why your system would be that slow unless there is something else running on the system that is hogging resources. Possibly it is your malware scanning.

Normally one should not run Chief as Administrator as that will cause some things to not work as expected.

I played with your plan and found that everything I did was snappy. Less than a second to join roof planes etc. Even did some roof editing in 3D and is was quit quick. Not sure why your system would be that slow unless there is something else running on the system that is hogging resources. Possibly it is your malware scanning.

You mentioned that in the thread discussing "help" slow to load where it was suggested to run as admin to fix that . I checked after the last update and help still takes forever to load unless using run as admin...what are the likely problems? is the help issue going to be addressed?

The slowness is in a third party application that we use. It is my understanding that it is in the process of being fixed.

Aside from the obvious security risk of running as administrator, some features of the OS don't work, such as drag and drop of files from explorer. I'm not sure what else might not work.

It is never a good idea to run any program as Administrator for extended periods of time.

I haven't downloaded X6 yet because my computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements listed for processor speed and I'm worried about everything slowing down. I really hate windows8 and don't want to get a new computer until they come out with the next version...

Is anyone successfully running X6 with similar computer stats to mine?

Windows7 64-bit

Processor Intel® Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 6.00 GB

Graphics:
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
(RAM) 1.00 GB

Mydog:

what's wrong with your processor speed ?

you may want to consider getting an Nvidia video card

Lew

System requirements show "2.4 GHz processor"... I guess I didn't see "or multi-core" when I read it the first time.

Yes, I haven't been happy with this video card and Chief. I had to turn off my sound card because the video card kept causing a static noise every time I pulled up an overview perspective. If X6 runs OK on this machine, I think I will swap it out.

Off to download...

Thanks!

Many, many years ago Intel stopped using speed to name their chips

nowdays they are I3, I5, I7 and I7 is one of the best

when I bought my Win7 PC in Jan I made sure I had I7

Lew

That's pretty misleading  information Lew...

I7 processors can vary substantially in clock speed.  And whether your computer has overclocking options or not can make that difference even more substantial.  My I5 processor for example can overclock to at least 3.2GHz whereas the slowest I7 processor may max out at 1.8 GHz.  They DO have multiple I7-XXXX names as well.  Simply having an I7 processor doesn't mean its faster.

Recently upgraded from x5 to x6 (x6 really slow, x5 was fast)

PC info:

Intel i7 Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz

RAM: 12.0 GB

64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Windows 8.1 PRO

Anyone else had this experience?

I absolutely agree...  x6 is slower and tends to "glitch"  more than x5 did and my system is up to date and all that jazz.  But for some reason it tends to run slower for me

I've just sat with a client using my old laptop - although a bit slow on regenerating - it seemed smoother than CA on my desk top.

Laptop is 32bit, 2Ghz with 3.00G of ram running on WinXp.

Desktop is 64bit 3.4GHz with 16GB of ram running on Win 8.1

Anyone else seeing a difference between 32/64bit and different windows platforms?

I think I am going to install an SSD drive, that will really speed things up for me.

I can't believe that rig doesn't have a SSD. If you have

the bucks spring for the SSD. You won't be sorry. All

you will get is noticeably faster boots and program

launches, absolutely quiet operation and a "Windows

Experience Index" that is pegged at the top of the

charts at 7.9. By way of reference my Western Digital

Velociraptor HDD which at the time of purchase held 

the speed crown for spinning media only garners a

WEI of 5.9.