usingchief

Disappearing Toolbars ! H E L P !

Hello CA Folks. For some reason, and just this week, I loose my toolbars randomly. Sometimes there,..then sometimes not. I can close a document, reboot + toolbars return but not in the same location as before. And then after a reboot... do a little drafting... after a bit of time, they disappear again. I've locked my toolbars so they would not move but its not working. I've reset my Preferences to the default toolbar setting but has not helped keep the bars from going away. So,...Any thoughts on a solution ?  Have I done something unknowingly?    T I A. 

System: Mac   running X12 Version

32GB Memory

2.9 GHz core

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 4.57.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 4.59.58 PM.png

Actually Chief’s programmers are especially gifted at this toolbar random scrambling phenomenon. 

It’s the only software I’ve ever encountered to exhibit this bizarre and maddeningly frustrating trait. It’s enough to drive me insane sometimes. 

Worse is that even when you call into Chief they all act like they’ve never heard of this, so don’t bother. 
Maybe it’ll be fixed in version X1000000000000...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Is this a Mac thing? I dont ever recall seeing the problem in 20 years.

You have done all the things I would have done to get them back.

This is why Chief takes so long to get around to fixing long standing issues. 

Whenever someone displays dissatisfaction or frustration you can always count on the Chief fanboy brigade to come along and downvote. 

This is why we can’t have anything nice. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Kiwideziner said:

Is this a Mac thing? I dont ever recall seeing the problem in 20 years.

You have done all the things I would have done to get them back.

You might of hit on something.  I have always had issues with my toolbars going nutty.  Not all the time,  but it happens.  It had been maybe 6 months and then it has a happened 3 times in the last 3 weeks.  I simply set it to factory settings and go back to work.  One of the reasons I do not use customized toolbars....  except for putting the LAYER SET drop down in the tool bar.

• Like 1

It’s most definitely a Mac thing and especially if you have an external monitor hooked up to a MacBook.

It still needs to be fixed even if we Mac weirdos only make up a small percentage of users on this forum.

Show us some love, people, and support...

I'm on a Mac.  It happens to me almost every time I meet with clients.  That's when I use a TV to mirror on of my dual monitors.

It happens using HDMI, it also happens with wireless AirPlay.

Great we have established it happens regularly on the mac platform. therefore the 'bug' as that is what it is needs to be lodged in the bug reporting app on the website with all the relevant info. then it can at least be investigated properly. And Maybe fixed at some time.

16 minutes ago, Kiwideziner said:

Great we have established it happens regularly on the mac platform. therefore the 'bug' as that is what it is needs to be lodged in the bug reporting app on the website with all the relevant info. then it can at least be investigated properly. And Maybe fixed at some time.

Literally submitted this on Tuesday and got my answer on Wednesday from chief.

Thank you for contacting Technical Support regarding this toolbar issue.

I’m sorry you are experiencing this frustration with the toolbars. We have had a couple of other customers experience this same issue with the toolbars, but our developers are still trying to reproduce the issue here so that the cause can be identified and addressed. Thank you for submitting the details of your setup as this helps our developers with trying to reproduce the issue.

Although we don’t currently have a solution to prevent this, there are a couple of steps you can take to restore your custom toolbars when it happens. Once you customize your toolbars, you will want to go into your Chief Architect Premier X12 Data folder (normally located in your Documents folder) and make a copy of the Toolbars folder (naming it something like Toolbars Customized). If your toolbars then get smashed you can use that copy of your toolbars folder to restore them.

The first thing to try when the toolbars get smashed it to undock and/or re-dock your side windows such as your Library Browser. Another user that has experienced this issue reported this restoring their toolbars.

If that doesn’t work then, save your work, close Chief and navigate to the your Chief Architect Premier X12 Data folder. Copy your Toolbars Customized folder to the Toolbar folder and relaunch Chief. That should restore your customized toolbars without having to re-customize them.

Once again, I’m sorry you are experiencing this. If it happens again, please note what you were doing in the program, what views were open, the setup of your windows, etc. 

I hope this information helps.”

This is what I heard when I called in at the beginning release of x12.  Not a week after that they released an update amd the problem disappeared till about two months ago.  Now it’s very random sometimes three weeks and doesn’t happen then three times in a week.

• Like 1

Happens to me too.

In fact just happened again tonight. 

After you have your custom toolbars set up, simply go to your Desktop (Finder), to Documents>CA12>Data> and find the MY TOOLBARS file. Make a COPY of it somewhere else, and when the toolbars freak out, quit the program, delete the -now corrupted- MY TOOLBARS file from the CA12 Data folder, and COPY over the saved one.

Works perfectly.

Wow... thanks folks.  What an awesome human resource you guys are.  I had also thought it might have something to do with RAM or Storage as I get really close to using at capacity particularly with this one 15K sq ft office project we are working on.  But then I switch over to something tiny - and poof.  Crazy thing is that I've been using X12 on my MacBookPro since I could download it in Feb and all these months... no issues with the toolbars.  Maybe it is a COVID things - "Computer Operating Very Independently."