X11 NEW FEATURES UP ON WEB SITE

HumbleChief

18 hours ago, lbuttery said:

but I think I will still be staying with X9 due to the lack of a hardware key for X10 and later

no reason not to install along side X9 and have a "play" Lew , that way you can dig in and see it up close.....

M.

my expire date was in Feb like most of us long timers

my partner delayed one year so he ended up with a May 31 expire

I called and the prorated me to expire May 31 also

now he and I can make decisions together and can check out the Beta before deciding to renew SSA

this year I jumped the gun and renewed in Dec to avoid the $50 price increase

since I have frozen myself to doing plans only in X9 sometime in the future I may stop renewing

for now I have X10 and X11 - just not using them

Lew

Mick:

I have X10 and X11 installed - just not using them for projects at this time

If a need develops we will be ready to jump forward 

most likely it would be on a project-by-project basis with the majority staying at X9

my partner is still in business so he may need to move forward with his clients

but he will continue to do my family history projects in X9

Lew

12 hours ago, lbuttery said:

I'll be reviewing these videos again and again

but I think I will still be staying with X9 due to the lack of a hardware key for X10 and later

since I'm retired and just doing models for my family historical projects X9 serves well

my SSA is still current so if a project should develop where I need the latest and greatest I will be ready

Lew

Lew, you have to get over the Dongle Thing, you're only denying yourself the benefit of some nice useful features. Since you have X9 with Hardware Lock, upgrading to x10, now X11 won't diminish your ability to fall back on using X9. Looks like you are paying for SSA, so there's really no harm in moving forward and keeping up with the latest version (except for the backwards compatibility issue). I was lazy and had x10 at work but kept x9 on my home system and did miss some of the benefits of x10 when working on other projects at home.  I was with you on having the hardware lock version, but since giving up the ghost after x8, I've had no issues (actually less issues because the dongle would sometimes not get recognized). I do not like the idea that Chief requires the program to be internet connected at least once every three weeks (?) but otherwise, try it and you probably won't go back to x9. You could start all your jobs in x9  and create a copy & save as x11 to do renderings and make your model better. If the shite hits the fan, you would always have your x9 "Back Up Version". BB

12 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Antoine:

that looks to be more of a backup USB - not a hardware lock

but I will call CA's sales to be sure

my partner and I always buy the DVD and now it looks like it comes on a USB

the hardware lock provides full independence from CA

if they should go out of business or be bought by another company 

or maybe decide to turn off all the prior software locks for X2 - X8 since they are "antiques"

and providing maintenance and tech support is too "expensive"

Lew

• Downvote 1

but:

Stair Design and Detailing

1) Does Chief now show Framing for Deck Stairs?

2) Can I Design and Determine Accurate Placing of Deck Railings?

Roof Framing

1) If I Raise a Roof Plane after having Manually Adjusted the Framing Members to my determined Layout, Is there a "Rebuild Framing for Individual Roof Planes Without Changing Layout" Tool/Button that will Keep the Layout while Changing Only the a) Vertical Orientation of the Rafters or Trusses?

My list of questions will change/increase after I download and start using the Beta. Perhaps Antoine will do the same or similar as I noted that none of the x11 changes (according to him) related to any of his requests or suggestions. Until then, I will be mute on the subject and focus on understanding and using the new features.

Really like many of the new features- barns doors-glass walls and shower doors - etc....

One productivity item I did not see was my suggestion to have temp dimensions locate dimension strings for quick offset adjustment from objects and each other.

I had posted it in the suggestions forum and it has quite a backing- surprised it didn't take hold.

Oh well- maybe X12

4 hours ago, RL-inc said:

One productivity item I did not see was my suggestion

There are over 20,000 posts in the suggestion forum. I know that mine are really more important but not everyone feels that way. I kind of like Larry's approach-high hopes, limited expectations. I don't check to see if they did any of mine (there's one I've sent in every year that, well, if it happens I may fall over dead) Instead I just do the Bubba Gump thing and see what sweets are in the box. This version may give me a diabetic overdose. :)

3 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Did you notice the new attributes for panels and inserts?  At least I think they are new.

Yes I saw the inserts, haven't figured out if that helps or not since not. Tested adding some mods that are not really and insert to see if I can use that. OTOH having custom OIP fields available makes my day. It means I have to start over on the project I 'm working (cabinet price from CSV) but I don't mind at all since it will streamline the whole thing.

I'm not saying a lot about X11 - but I'm grinning a lot because so many of the new features are things I've been asking for.

The one thing I really wanted was an OIP for ROOMS and FRAMING OBJECTS.  Maybe they'll still be able to get those in for the final release.  If not then I really hope they get them in X12.  I've had to do some revisions to some macros for X11 but the results are superior.  I had one macro that worked nicely in X10 but brings X11 to a virtual standstill.  I still haven't been able to identify exactly why,

The new Notes have the room attribute and also the OIP so there's actually a way to get part of what I wanted. 

41 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I'm not saying a lot about X11 - but I'm grinning a lot because so many of the new features are things I've been asking for.

The one thing I really wanted was an OIP for ROOMS and FRAMING OBJECTS.  Maybe they'll still be able to get those in for the final release.  If not then I really hope they get them in X12.  I've had to do some revisions to some macros for X11 but the results are superior.  I had one macro that worked nicely in X10 but brings X11 to a virtual standstill.  I still haven't been able to identify exactly why,

The new Notes have the room attribute and also the OIP so there's actually a way to get part of what I wanted. 

Joe I'm new to macros so I don't immediately see the use-case for what you are mentioning. Can you give an example of use for note-room attributes with OIP's?

5 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Joe I'm new to macros so I don't immediately see the use-case for what you are mentioning. Can you give an example of use for note-room attributes with OIP's?

I'm not sure yet but I think I'll be able to put together a Note Schedule that contains the results of macros referencing Room Attributes in the custom fields of the Notes.  It may or may not be worth the effort.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I'm not sure yet but I think I'll be able to put together a Note Schedule that contains the results of macros referencing Room Attributes in the custom fields of the Notes.  It may or may not be worth the effort.

I'll bite Joe.

19 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Easy peasy.  For starters it gives the capability of creating a room schedule using callout labels in both plan and schedule.