Subdivision Rendering

A_Joseph_PE

47 minutes ago, A_Joseph_PE said:

I have a very simple subdivision I am looking to make a photorealistic rendering of. 

Anybody try this with Chief?  

Any my thoughts on what software is typically used? 

Thanks 

Just curious as to why emphasis is placed on the project being a subdivision? 

CA, in my opinion, isn't capable of photorealism

Thea/Blender/sometimes Lumion would be capable of photorealism

How many units are you talking about showing and in how much detail ?

Depending on your computer's capability I would likely build each structure in it's own plan file and then the terrain in it's own file and export each structure as a symbol and bring it into position on the terrain plan.  If you exceed your computer's capabilities you have not wasted your time and can then export each to a more capable rendering software.

Would be good to know what software you are using and the critical specifications of your computer system.  You can put these things in your signature so they are always visible when posting.

I have a property that I am selling.  About 72acres.

I am looking to show, potentially, 5-6 homes on the subdivision in a rendering to help sell the lot.

I am also considering showing the rendering as a Retirement Mobile Home Community.  This will be 100 units, but very simple boxes.

Just wondering if anybody here has had experience with this type of work?  When I search, I just get hits for companies that perform the work, but not actual guidance or software used.

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

• 3 years later...
On 2/13/2019 at 1:58 PM, A_Joseph_PE said:

I have a property that I am selling.  About 72acres.

I am looking to show, potentially, 5-6 homes on the subdivision in a rendering to help sell the lot.

I am also considering showing the rendering as a Retirement Mobile Home Community.  This will be 100 units, but very simple boxes.

Just wondering if anybody here has had experience with this type of work?  When I search, I just get hits for companies that perform the work, but not actual guidance or software used.

Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.

Did you end up doing this subdivision rendering? If so, what method did you use? I'm working on my first subdivision.

3 hours ago, A_Joseph_PE said:

I did not find anybody... 

Who is "TwinMotion"?   I am still looking for these services.

Thanks

Figure of speech, Twinmotion is a rendering platform that handles subivisions quite well.
Do you have a file you can share for your project?

18 hours ago, FireflyDesigns said:

Did you end up doing this subdivision rendering? If so, what method did you use? I'm working on my first subdivision.

Design your homes. 
Make a simplified version of them. (example, tun off most items on the inside)

Convert homes to 3D symbols from a 3D overview (just the homes, no terrain)

Create your terrain separately in a plan file and place all of your Symbol Homes on the terrain.  
For extra pizazz export everything to twin motion.

• Upvote 1

Or...

I haven't tried this to sort out any problems, but it should work.

You could try using reference plans.

Draw each dwelling in their own plan.

Draw your master site plan and then reference the individual floor plans.

This way, any changes to the individual floor plans will be dynamically reflected in your master site plan.

No need to muck around with duplicate plans, stripping out files, creating symbols, etc.

All the various dwelling plans and master site plan will always be up to date and synchronised.

You would probably need to initially spend a bit of time to set up some reference default sets, and some other settings - but it could be well worth it.

This could also be a good way to do things like showing alternate kitchen designs in a master floor plan.

ie, you could have several alternate referenced kitchen plans that could display as alternate kitchen choices in both plan and 3D just by changing the reference plans.

• Upvote 2

I didn't try too hard to find a limit, but I had 12 plans referenced and I was switching between them in the master site plan without trouble.

It is a pretty cool way of working because all the floor plans and 3D views can display the referenced plans (so it looks just like the original plans), but the objects in those referenced plans can't be selected or edited.

To do that, you need to go back to the original referenced plan and make your edits, which will be dynamically displayed in the master plan.

One thing to remember to do would be to draw your referenced plans with the correct offsets from 0,0,0, so that when you reference them in your master plan, they all fit together in the correct locations relative to each other.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, glennw said:

I didn't try too hard to find a limit, but I had 12 plans referenced and I was switching between them in the master site plan without trouble.

It is a pretty cool way of working because all the floor plans and 3D views can display the referenced plans (so it looks just like the original plans), but the objects in those referenced plans can't be selected or edited.

To do that, you need to go back to the original referenced plan and make your edits, which will be dynamically displayed in the master plan.

One thing to remember to do would be to draw your referenced plans with the correct offsets from 0,0,0, so that when you reference them in your master plan, they all fit together in the correct locations relative to each other.

This is an interesting idea. I wonder if the master site plan could have very simple floor plan outlines locating each unit and each referenced plan point to point moved into their respective locations then referenced?

On 6/7/2022 at 5:21 AM, A_Joseph_PE said:

I did not find anybody... 

Who is "TwinMotion"?   I am still looking for these services.

Thanks

TwinMotion is a Rendering Program ( was free, so many here have it ) now owned by EPIC who also own the Unreal 3D Engine ( v.5 just released.)

Both can be downloaded through Epic Launcher , though I am not up on current free availability options.

Download Twinmotion - Twinmotion

EDIT : TM is still free for non-commercial use

https://www.twinmotion.com/license

9 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

This is an interesting idea. I wonder if the master site plan could have very simple floor plan outlines locating each unit and each referenced plan point to point moved into their respective locations then referenced?

Larry,

Why not just draw the floor plans in their correct location in relation to the site master plan to start with?

If I am understanding you correctly, you can't move the referenced plans in the master plan - you can only do that in the individual plans.

You could draw the plan outlines in the master plan and then copy/paste them into the floor plans to locate the floor plans, but I see all that as being the long way around and unnecessary.