Plotter

blayman

Has any one purchased a small (24") wide printer/plotter lately?

I started looking at the HP T120 or T520 both 24" plotters. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either one?

Or any recommendations for a small plotter.

My HP 500 has finally given up, after many many cases of paper and ink cartridges.

I have number of ink cartridges available and an  HP500 not working if anyone is interested in it for parts?

Thanks

Bill Layman

MSI GE72 2QD Apache Pro Laptop

Chief 97 thru X10

I had the HP110 for years, which I think was the predecessor to the HP120. I loved it! I did not have the roll feeder, simply feed sheets through the rear as needed and let them fall into the catcher. I gave it up when I moved the office home, and no one was requesting prints much anyway, just PDFs. I now have an Epson that will do 11x17 and it works great.

I purchased the HP T120 a few years back.  I am a remodeling contractor and draft the plans I need for my own work, mainly kitchens, basements and additions,  so I cant speak to higher volume use, but it has been serving me quite well.  Definitely worth not having to go to Staples and paying $4-6 per Arch D page.  I keep the rear tray filled with 11x17 sheets, ad then also keep a 24" roll installed.  Loading and unloading the roll as needed.  I definitely recommend getting the stand.  Its wheeled and has a nice outfeed basket.  From what I can tell the T520 is essentially the same printer with slightly better resolution, little faster, and includes the stand.  Had I been able to afford it at the time I probably would have gone with it.  From all the information and reviews I read at the time I got mine it seems that HP made these printers specifically for the needs of the CAD/GIS market.  Most online reviews were from either architects or engineers.  One thing to watch for when shopping for either is shipping.  Its a pretty big box with some weight to it.  Some places may have a lower price, but hit you for freight.  I got mine from B&H photo, and they have free expedited shipping on the 120, and a reasonable freight charge on the 520.

I bought an HP T520 about a year ago to replace an HP DJ120 that stopped working. The T520 is MUCH faster and better print quality. Normal quality Arch D prints come out as fast as letter size on my laser printer. Roll feeding is less problematic than with my 120. I'm very pleased with the price for performance, although it does act strange at times. A reboot fixes that, and I would buy it again knowing how it acts.

Trying to figure out how to dispose of the 120. :o

I have a T 120. I am fairly pleased with it. It replaced a 110 which was a nightmare to load. The 120 is easy to load the rolls. I don't have a good out feed system and I really need to make that better. If you are not paying attention and a sheet does not clear the area at the out feed, it will bunch up on the cut. The color quality is good enough for con docs in color but I would not expect to make any posters or print renderings for presentations. Speed is o.k. but not very fast if you are printing a lot in a hurry. I buy ink off Amazon (Miroo) and it is pretty reasonable. Thanks for reminding me, time to reorder paper (Freedom Paper).

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased an HP T120.  What do you normally charge customers for printing?

• 11x17 Sheets?
  • 24x36 Sheets?
  • sq.ft. charge?

I expect that most of my prints will be mostly BW with a small amount of color.

I'm not needing to make a big profit on printing but I do want to cover costs and amortize the cost of the equipment.

51 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

My builder clients print everything in color now, finally, homeowners love it.

Yes, I'm actually going to be printing everything in color.  But since a lot of the lines and text are BW I won't be using that much colored ink.  OTOH, Color makes it much easier to identify wall types, electrical, plumbing, etc.

• Upvote 1

I just bought the HP T520... scheduled for delivery tomorrow.  I have an HP 450C that still runs good... just got tired of keeping one computer around running Windows XP just to use the plotter.  I am looking forward to the increased printing speed and I want to try putting together some 3D models using the self adhesive polypropelene and foamboard.  

Years ago I had the HP 1055CM but the ink cartridges were so big that the ink cartridges dried up before I could use up the ink... and the cartridges ran about $200 a piece.  Bigger is not always better when it comes to plotters.

I had the T120, great printer, small footprint.  However, sold it on Craigslist due to more digital usage and hated printing for clients.  I would charge $5 per 24x36 sheet (all I ever printed), because of my time to put together and assemble and keeping paper and ink supplies in stock...local shop charged $1/sheet.  Basically, I hated printing for people, took way to much of my time, so I encouraged everyone to go to the local repro print shop.  I love not having the printer anymore...more office space and no more clients asking for prints, etc.   My opinion anyway.  Good luck.

9 hours ago, BenPalmer said:

Basically, I hated printing for people, took way to much of my time, so I encouraged everyone to go to the local repro print shop.

I have the opposite feeling. I like to keep the printing control in house. I try not to give out pdf copies of the blueprints because the client didn't pay for that "ownership of the drawings". They paid for usage of the design. I charge $4 per sheet for black and white 24 x 36 prints. It more than pays for my plotter lease, paper, and toner. So it generates a little extra cash. It seems to me that most clients would be annoyed if I told them, "go pick up your prints at ABC reprographics down the block". Just my 2 cents.

BTW, has anyone looked into 11 x 17 color LASER printers. Higher cost, but.....

https://www.printershowcase.com/11x17-color-lasers.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrTh7A-MwDTLbzFhM5JSIIDhZ988Cm6NEatdkKrE0-gMlmPiPgzhlhXVhoCOwcQAvD_BwE

https://www.ricoh-usa.com/en/products/pd/equipment/printers-and-copiers/printers/sp-c840dn-color-laser-printer/_/R-408105

1 hour ago, CARMELHILL said:

I have the opposite feeling. I like to keep the printing control in house. I try not to give out pdf copies of the blueprints because the client didn't pay for that "ownership of the drawings". They paid for usage of the design. I charge $4 per sheet for black and white 24 x 36 prints. It more than pays for my plotter lease, paper, and toner. So it generates a little extra cash. It seems to me that most clients would be annoyed if I told them, "go pick up your prints at ABC reprographics down the block". Just my 2 cents.

It's fun to see how the different geographies and business models play out around the nation and world.  Naturally there is a place for large format printers as demonstrated by many of the previous posts...I've had one for 20 years prior to selling mine.

Many of our municipalities require PDF digital submittals and no longer take paper copies, so PDFs are a requirement and not an option for us.  It's just a matter of time before all the ones around us all require them.  Most subs are also moving to digital only. Naturally, we lock down the PDF, but we all know digital and hard copies can be hacked if the thief is determined enough...I've had people bring in my plans with a different title block trying to pass it off as there...that was a printed copy, and not a pdf one.

Additionally, the client gets there plans instantly after online payment vs making a trip to us to or a print shop for the final copy.  They can be submitted to the city digitally within minutes of us putting the final touches on the plans in CA (which is often the case).  Our clients are all over the metro area and are often hours drive from us, so PDF is certainly preferred in those cases.

Also, our local print shop is just down the street from us, but certainly understand being a disservice if further away.  So IF they want hard copies, they are close by.  But again, for my area, it is rarely requested anymore...hence the reason for me getting rid of my printer.  Pretty slick advances in our business the last couple decades, wonder whats next.  :)

Just thought I would share my experience in my specific area if it helps anyone...not meant to be disagreeable or the right or wrong way, nearly meant to be informational....love reading everyone's take on the issue, thanks to all who have and will share. 

I like the idea

54 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

It's fun to see how the different geographies and business models play out around the nation and world.  Naturally there is a place for large format printers as demonstrated by many of the previous posts...I've had one for 20 years prior to selling mine.

Agreed. Good to hear the flip side.

I heard a story a few yeas ago when an architect was called a municipal plans examiner about some plan comments he had. But the architect never stamped those plans. Someone "placed" his stamp on a project without his knowledge. This was before PDF and photoshop, so I'm guessing it was someone in his own office doing side business.

The PDF submission will happen here on Long Island soon. I think New Jersey already does it. Only one local Long Island town takes digital submissions regularly, and does it right. It'll put the expeditors out of business.

It seems to me that most clients would be annoyed if I told them, "go pick up your prints at ABC reprographics down the block". Just my 2 cents.

Hmmm, my clients had no problem doing this ...

I had bought a brand-new HP 110 Plus - never plugged it in

years later I donated it to the local library

Lew

9 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

The PDF submission will happen here on Long Island soon. I think New Jersey already does it. Only one local Long Island town takes digital submissions regularly, and does it right. It'll put the expediters out of business.

Yes, and it will save a lot of time - not to mention paper, printing cost, fuel, wear and tear on vehicles, parking fees, etc.

I really wish it would happen in California.  Electronic submission of plans would save a tremendous amount of pollution and waste.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jay_on_Cape said:

Most of the building departments in my area require either PDF files you upload or 11 x 17 paper plans.....I haven't owned a plotter in 9 years.

You should see the tons of paper submitted to the City of San Diego.  Initial submission for plan check is 6-7 sets, usually Arch D or above.  Just for a single family home that can easily be 25-30 sheets per set.   By the time all corrections are finished and the permit is issued it's not uncommon to double the sets of prints.  There are separate plan checkers for planning, zoning, T-24, structural, engineering, & building.  Each of those has to stamp 2 sets of the plans - one for the City and one for the job site.

• Upvote 1

Call me old-fashioned but I still like the idea of having a hardcopy of the plan with the signatures of the homebuyers on the cover page and each page with their initials as part of the contract documents.

And I don’t see construction on the jobsite going “paperless” any time soon.

ps. I am impressed with the new T520 so far.  The only downside is it is so quiet I have to actually go in and look to see if it’s printing.  Where did the whirling, banging and clacking go?

38 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Call me old-fashioned but I still like the idea of having a hardcopy of the plan with the signatures of the homebuyers on the cover page and each page with their initials as part of the contract documents.

And I don’t see construction on the jobsite going “paperless” any time soon.

I absolutely agree.

But that doesn't mean we should have to submit for plan check as hardcopies.  No matter how careful you are with your plans the plan checkers will always want something more.  That means more prints, etc.

Stamped & signed paper copies should only be needed on the job site.

• Upvote 1

Off topic, but up til about 3 months ago I had an old Pace Plotter with a standalone Win95 machine that I would have gladly given to someone here for free.  Worked as far as I know (did when I took it offline around '04).  Nothing in the world of modern paper printing can touch the beauty of ink on mylar prints.  Traded it for some vintage stereo work so win-win.

I've had the T-120 since it first came out. Click to print is fast. Pages out in under a minute each. I would get the stand if I did it over again. Also use SuperB 13x19 in the upright for draft printing to save cost. I print SuperB at 50% which gives me a scale of 1/2" = 1' vs printing to scale which is usually 1/4" = 1' on ArchD.

Houston doesn't like colored drawings as they dont scan well and they scan every page submitted. So I print anything black and white. 

If your considering an 11x17 printer, look for one that will accept 12x18. I have a HP 7610 that will accept 12x18 paper which allows me to do exact 50% sets (1/2 of a 24x36), The paper can be hard to find locally but I order it online as needed.