Best Technique For This Roof Type?

HumbleChief

Not sure what it's called and I can get it done with arbitrary base line heights and some serious customization of each little roof plane but was wondering if there was a technique out there that will make it easier/quicker?

It's the little eye brow like plane on top and this plan has 7 or 8.

post-302-0-25043800-1404919296_thumb.png 

How you make it depends on what you know about the roof.

In your case, with an existing roof, I'd create the clipped plane at the measured pitch and make the eave side the measured length. I'd copy the ridge height of the main gable and enter it in the dialog box for the clipped plane. But yes, it may involve some trial and error, or more likely measuring in cross section to get it located properly..

With a new construction project I'd establish my desired plate height and pitch and adjust the roof plane to suit.

Very helpful you guys. Didn't know that Chief could build those automatically Dan.

Thanks for the video Scott - that's the way I ended up building them pretty much step for step other than not really needing to set up the 45 as joining roof planes creates that 45 join automagically.

We call them Dutch Gables too ...which maybe wrong ...but looking on Google it is also called a JerkinHead Roof or a Tudor Hip in some places, neither term I have heard before here..  Half Hip is another term used per the Automatic Roofs dialog.

http://architecture.about.com/od/general/ig/Roof-Styles/Jerkinhead-Roof.htm

similar thread on Contractor Talk and they think 1/3 or 1/4 the Gable height for the "Clipping point"  or  "when you view it from above it should be an equilateral triangle"

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/jerkinhead-roof-design-111872/

Around these parts we call them "Jerk-in-head"... They were common in the late 80s around here. I think I saw one going on a house 2 or 3 years ago but haven't really caught on again.

Chief calls these Half Hip Style in the Roof Styles Panel of the Build Roof dbx.  I think they can be automatically generated.

Then there is the reverse system called a California Gable.  Those are the kind that has a small gable (kind of like an inline dormer) projecting out from ridge on a hip roof.  Chief doesn't include those.

*For other users who want to create half-hip the easy and accurate way.

Interesting, did you notice where the roof base Lind was located?

In fact the IN FROM BASELINE is wrong because if you look closely, it is from eave and not baseline.

I understand you can do it auto, I am just surprised that people would determine the geometry by defining that particular distance. It seems more logical to define the distance from gable end wall to the hip, which is where a truss or rafter would be.

We PEOPLE interpret the half-hip baseline as the attached.

I am not sure what that means. Here's a question:

Would the IN FROM BASELINE always be 8'? What is determining this distance? Understanding the longer the gable wall, the taller the roof peek, so without adjusting the IN FROM BASELINE distance, the "clipped roof " size changes.

It just seems the controlling length should be the distance from gable wall to hip.

Nuts, everybody is happy with the way it is, I will stop beating my head against the wall.