Text Reformatting Itself

BryceEngstrom

I am seeing this repeatedly.  May be happening between updates.  As in, I haven't worked on this file for a couple of weeks, installed the latest update, and now this is happening AGAIN.  As in, I have seen this repeatedly in X8.  I have also seen it when importing CAD from other sources as well.

But, the attached screen shots are (1) some text I placed a couple of weeks ago, and now come back to it and all over the place I have to re-size the text box to get the missing letter, or letters, to show. (2) If I zoom in, before re-sizing the box, it looks like this, and (3) re-sizing the box to get the text back to the way I originally placed it.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Search didn't turn up anything. Super annoying to have to go back over all my elevations and make sure this is all fixed.

post-67-0-76972300-1456870896_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-51347400-1456870905_thumb.jpg

post-67-0-18551600-1456870922_thumb.jpg

One thought, but might not be related: if it is an old plan, and you use Chief's default Blueprint font, then they made the font bigger with the release of X7 which means it's bigger in X8 as well.  This will cause the issue.  If this is the case, either deal with it and change the formatting and it will work going forward, or change to a different default font,  or install the old font (pre X7).  I do both: install old font so older plans aren't effected, and have changed my default font so that new plans aren't effected if they decide to change it again.  This change was a big annoyance and discussed in a previous thread.

On another note: I did a couple undos the other day and saw that formatting change which was strange because it wasn't there before the undo.  Did redo, then undo again and it went back.  Couldn't explain it.

Just some thoughts, hopefully they help someone on this thread or someone else reading this thread.  If I find the old thread on this, I'll link to it in an edit of my post.

Hmm, that is strange. I have not had this happen to me. Perhaps you shouldn't use Arial? I always used a font call "technical" in my designs because it was clean and looked nice, and I could use in CA and my other engineering drawings. However, since I've had CA X6 & X7 I have been using the "Chief Architect Blueprint" font. No problems at all...

This has been happening for almost as long as I can remember, and it's been reported many, many times. I don't know why this can't get fixed permanently. It always seems to be too mysterious to track down.

Yes, I have noticed it before too but it seemed to center around either bringing a plan forward from an earlier version of Chief or from importing someone else's DWG file.  But now I KNOW it's happening in plans I started in X8.

I really hate it that some people insist on using non-standard fonts.  I get a Plan of Layout that has all sorts of strange fonts.  When go ahead and open them either Chief or Windows substitutes something they think is "close" and sometimes the size get's changed at the same time.

Then there are also the strange "Text Styles" that some users have come up with.  Grrrrr............

I really hate it that some people insist on using non-standard fonts. I get a Plan of Layout that has all sorts of strange fonts. When go ahead and open them either Chief or Windows substitutes something they think is "close" and sometimes the size get's changed at the same time.

Then there are also the strange "Text Styles" that some users have come up with. Grrrrr............

I think some people simply don't realize how fonts work, that they do not really travel with the file, and that in order to use them on another machine they must actually be installed on that machine (as well as every other computer involved along the way) or else they must be replaced (albeit only during edits in some cases).

CorelDraw allows one to embed fonts......... be nice if Chief would consider doing this........ the fact that one company does it means it is possible........ The save option allows you to do this, it even tell you how big the Embed font file will be.

I have had his exact problem. It only has been an issue in X8. The last few words of a sentence keep disappearing. I emailed it to tech support and they said they could not replicate it. Obviously other people here have. And I use Arial font exclusively because its clear and easy to read on plans. They need to fix this. 

Is this Rich Text, by chance?  I had a LOT of problems with my text boxes re-formatting themselves in the past.  I started using regular text boxes (not Rich Text) and I haven't had a problem since.  Only downside is that regular text boxes aren't as customizable as Rich Text boxes.  

I use Ariel a lot.  Ariel Narrow in a number of placed.  I don't block the text, but it will open just fine on my computer, but when we open the file on my associate's computer it re-formats as being discussed.  I have taken the font file and installed it on their computer and it still persists.

Is this an Ariel/Chief conflict?  Seems like those that are having the most trouble are those who use Ariel???  Are non-Ariel font users having issues as well?

I'm not having this problem.  My guess is that it's a matter of something in Text Styles, Defaults or Preferences.  There may have been some changes in going from X7 to X8.