kellytengdahl

Reference levels/ Floor & ceiling levels in elevation

Hello :)

I've read a few of the forums but I couldn't find a solution to my problem. 

I'm trying to create high quality elevations to place on a layout page.

I have seen a few people do this but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to produce it however.

I would like to have my Ground lvl, tops of slab lvl, ceiling height, first floor height, & first floor ceiling heights showing on my elevations. 

I am aware of drawing the lines one the elevations but they never snap to the slab and to set them so they are exact seems impossible. 

In the past I've just used a line across the elevation and put it as close to the right position as possible but being a little bit O.C.D I cant handle knowing its not exactly right.

can someone help me? I have a image to reference

This is what I would like to produce with hight lines.. and I'd really like to have the widows with opening markers but I seem to only be able to do this with the swinging windows not Double hung or sliding  :(

aibd-working-drawing-winner-joey-martin.

Use temporary "cad detail from view" and do your lines up there, since it helps to snap any point you want. Copy those lines and paste it back"hold position" to your elevations. This is one way to do it, but not probably the only way. hopefully others will also tell us an other useful methods.

draw the lines approximately where you want them. Then if they have not snapped to what you want select each line in turn and input the correct position in the DBX.

It keeps everything live and you know they are in the correct place. You can then dimesion to them or add call outs or whatever.

For elevation callouts I simply establish ground floor at zero; and then use the transform/replicate tool to copy them to the proper elevation. I use the information in the DBX for plate height, floor height, ridge height, etc. for the Z value. It's hard to make a mistake this way, and it's easy.

If you use these in your template plan with saved elevations, it's easy to adjust them to the reality of a new plan.

I do think this is a bit of unfinished business on Chief's part, as one would expect the number in the DBX to place the marker at the correct elevation.

Looking back, I think this is what Graeme said above.

In plan you can drag your elevation camera in to the plan so it cuts a section, go to the view to snap your lines to the correct spots, then drag the camera back out to produce the elevation.

For line weights use elevation anno-sets to get the exact line weights you want.

In plan you can drag your elevation camera in to the plan so it cuts a section, go to the view to snap your lines to the correct spots, then drag the camera back out to produce the elevation.

Nice tip Kevin, Thx.

I created a block of my elevation lines with  dimensions and save it to my symbols. When i do a project I insert it to my cross section and explode it, it will stay highlighted and  do move point to point grab the first floor elevation line and move it to 0 on my cross section it will snap to the floor at 0 too. As it was setup before hand everything is where it needs to be. If i have changed the floor system or anything else I will adjust it here with its dimensions and grab what ever needs to move at the same time. When done I just copy and paste in place on each elevation view... Works great for me. If The drawing changes I make the change in section first and just copy and paste in all other views. It is quick and easy. I have blocks setup for the typical elevation settings already use so most times I only need adjust the roof elevation marker.

If you set up template plans and layouts, no need to bring in anything, it's always there when you start up every new job. Everything already sent to the layout. Very , very fast. open the plan and start designing right away, no set up other than some defaults and colors.

Previously, we asked for an Elevation Dimensioning Tool - dimension to the rough_floor and top_of_plates, etc.  Chief really needs to set up something like this with a full set of defaults for what should be dimensioned.

• Upvote 1

Previously, we asked for an Elevation Dimensioning Tool - dimension to the rough_floor and top_of_plates, etc.  Chief really needs to set up something like this with a full set of defaults for what should be dimensioned.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/4053-exterior-elevation-dimensions-realistic-defaults-please/page-3#entry61879

The trick to getting your platform lines the correct height in elevation/section is to draw the line (in a scross section/elevation view) at any height.

Open it's dbx and check Lock...Length/Angle. 

Change the Y position in Start or End Point - changing in one spot will automatically change the other.

I usually only do this for Chiefs default zero floor level. 

I then copy/move more elevation lines as needed.

There no trick to it really. I draw a line on the elevation use the transform/replicate tool to move it to 0'-0". From there I just draw the rest of lines and use the dimension string to set those lines. I already know the math from setting the floor structure and ceiling heights. Once I have all the lines set on the front elevation, I select them and block them, copy/paste in place on all the other elevations.