Elevation Lines

SNestor

If you draw a line on an elevation view...can't you use transform/replicate to set the line at "zero" elevation...so, you can establish the first floor elevation line?

I have tried to do this...but no luck.  Line does not move.  So...what am I doing wrong?  Or...how do you establish elevation lines on your drawings?

Thanks...

Works for me in all versions in elevation camera

So...what is the process you use...maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I draw a line in elevation view.  Select the line.  Click "transform/replicate".  Select "Move"...set "Z" elevation to "0".  Hit enter.    Yes?

Thanks,

So...what is the process you use...maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I draw a line in elevation view.  Select the line.  Click "transform/replicate".  Select "Move"...set "Z" elevation to "0".  Hit enter.    Yes?

Thanks,

no no no no no no no.....  it makes much less sense than what you suggest....  Here is the process....  don't you watch my videos?......

draw line in elevation

select line

open line dbx

LINE<check LENGTH/ANGLE< go to START POINT and type in "0" in "Y POSITION"<OK

the line is now at zero elevation

I know,  I know,  it makes no sense but it works.

BTW,  being able to located ZERO elevation in elevation is so fundamental.  I wonder how users know how to do what I just described.  I do not think it is documented  (but I could be wrong).  I have never seen anybody else describe this method.  The only way I know it is Louis Fernandez taught me this about 6 or 7 years ago.  

The funny thing about it is I would never of figured this out if not for Louis...  thanks LF.

It makes total sense when you realize that Elevation Views are 2D dwgs using an x/y coordinate system.  the "y" axis corresponding to the "z" axis of the model.  The Elevation Views are created starting at y=0.

Not exactly. x/y for 2D elements, but x/y/z for 3D elements. Only problem is that x/y has different x's and y's than the 3D system. This really needs to get fixed.

This is really confusing and something that we should make more clear.

One way to think about lines and text in elevations is that it is being drawn in a 2D plane that lives on the front clipping plane of the view. That plane has a separate coordinate system from the view where the Y value is the same as the Z value and X tries to match up with the X or Y 3D axis depending on which direction you are looking. For items that are maintain in back you can think of them as living on the back clipping plane of the view with a similar X Y coordinate system.

Not exactly. x/y for 2D elements, but x/y/z for 3D elements. Only problem is that x/y has different x's and y's than the 3D system. This really needs to get fixed.

I completely agree. The default coordinate system shouldn't change between views. Ideally, Chief would give us the ability to change the origin and orientation of the coordinate system as we please - this has been suggested several times before.