Measurements On Elevations

ARBDESIGN

Hi. I am having trouble with measurements on elevations. I am finding that I cant get the cursor to snap on lines I want to dimension. Do I have to convert to CAD lines to be able to get dimensions from each line. I have also tried using markers to get dimension from floor level to ceiling level. It works but not how I want it to look. Is there any way of having these dimensions without the markers showing. I have tried turning off the markers and it takes the dimension with it. Your help is appreciated. 

Hi Graeme, Thanks for the reply. I have drawn the horizontal lines in the elevation and cad elevation. I then dimension to the lines. Am I right in saying you cant remove these horizontal lines otherwise to dimension is removed also. 

Adam,

To explain further, when Chief cuts a section it auto-generates lines that can you can snap to (including dimensions). These lines are placed on the Cross Section Lines layer, and they are re-generated every time the section changes. To see the lines clearly, you can change the layer's default color to red (or something equally bright and bold). Unfortunately, Chief doesn't show these lines for elevations, so there is nothing to snap to. Brian's method is a decent work-around. Keep in mind that when you're in section view you can dimension to either objects (walls, floors, etc), or to the cross section lines. If you dimension to objects, the dimensions remain "intelligent" and will follow any changes you make to those objects (wall height, etc). But if you dimension to the cross section lines, Chief will use Point-to-Point Dimensions, and those dimensions will not "follow" changes to the building model.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth. I have used the same method of dimension elevations since the days of hand drawing on my board. I set the floor line at zero and go from there. It's a lot easier than trying to get dims to snap to a line that you may or may not be able to see. Pretty quick method, and not really a work around since elevations have been created this way for as long as I have been in the business.

post-70-0-54129800-1416844796_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth. I have used the same method of dimension elevations since the days of hand drawing on my board. I set the floor line at zero and go from there. It's a lot easier than trying to get dims to snap to a line that you may or may not be able to see. Pretty quick method, and not really a work around since elevations have been created this way for as long as I have been in the business.

Absolutely agree with this approach.  Dimension to CAD lines you put in and not to some lines that may or may not be created in a back clip cross section.

Absolutely agree with this approach.  Dimension to CAD lines you put in and not to some lines that may or may not be created in a back clip cross section.

I also add  a few cad lines to my template plan so they are already there. My elevations are already on the layout when starting a new plan so done once never do again method. Only adjustments needed.

I also add  a few cad lines to my template plan so they are already there. My elevations are already on the layout when starting a new plan so done once never do again method. Only adjustments needed.

Agree with the approach, though I plop in Level Line markers and dimension to those. I wish there was a way of setting a the absolute z-value for lines and markers in elevation - that would make this method more convenient.

Agree with the approach, though I plop in Level Line markers and dimension to those. I wish there was a way of setting a the absolute z-value for lines and markers in elevation - that would make this method more convenient.

Here is a test,  and I know the answer.  You are in elevation.  You draw a horizontal line,  do you know how to make the elevation of that particular line  at absolute zero?  

Y is Z in elevation

Yeah, that takes some getting used to. I think it works better though, because you're always dealing w/ all 3 axis in any camera, even in sections/elevations where you can only see 2. But you can move stuff along that hidden axis, & movement stays consistent regardless of camera orientation. Very handy.

CAD details are only view that only has X & Y axis, left/right, up/down.

post-120-0-42429100-1416932716_thumb.jpg

I think it's better also.

So now I know I can set the "Y" value to adjust the absolute "height" of my CAD lines in elevation. But I can't do this with a Level Line text marker. Why not? It's a level line marker for cripes sake - I should be able to set its level!

Robert,

I think it is because a Level Line Marker is designed to be used in plan to denote heights (thus the use of the # in the label to display the height on the Marker). 

With Transform/Replicate, you can move the Marker easily Relative to Itself, but not easily with Absolute Location. 

A cheat to getting the level markers where you want them is to place the "0" line with a CAD line and then place the level markers from that line. The temp dims will help you place those from the line, starting at the top and working down so that they don't get in each other way of the temp dims.