Glass Shower Walls

MaryAnne

All tile work and the glass shower enclosure was created by positioning partition panels to the walls and floating partition panels across the shower entrance. Yes, there are alternative methods such as "Wall Covering" and "Wall Material Regions" that will accomplish same thing. This however is really straight forward, all of the components can be accessed from every viewing method (plan, elevation & camera), they adhere to Bumping/Pushing and can be dimensioned in both plan & elevation views.

There is no dispute if the tile work is non-linear, for this the Wall Material Regions is the best solution, or if you need to adhere to described methods in order to generate an accurate material list.

Graham

post-4793-0-53089000-1425583910_thumb.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't sure what you all meant by Material Regions so the knowledge base pulled up this:  http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02929/  I created a new shower on my plan and modified the layers in Material Layers Definition.  When I opened an elevation and tried (step 2) to Build - Wall - Wall Material Region, there is no Wall Material Region in the drop down menu.  I'm feeling not very bright and very confused but I sure appreciate all your help!

All tile work and the glass shower enclosure was created by positioning partition panels to the walls and floating partition panels across the shower entrance. Yes, there are alternative methods such as "Wall Covering" and "Wall Material Regions" that will accomplish same thing. This however is really straight forward, all of the components can be accessed from every viewing method (plan, elevation & camera), they adhere to Bumping/Pushing and can be dimensioned in both plan & elevation views.

There is no dispute if the tile work is non-linear, for this the Wall Material Regions is the best solution, or if you need to adhere to described methods in order to generate an accurate material list.

Graham

I've used slabs in the same manner for years but I really like the partition idea, as it seems to save a few steps.

I've used slabs in the same manner for years but I really like the partition idea, as it seems to save a few steps.

I use the partition as there are more options to control positioning, sizing, etc. than a slab which is actually a polyline. Either works. The way I see it is that everything is really just several basic shapes, by varying their size and combination with each other you create anything you want. It's called a partition but in reality it's just an object with variable width, height and depth options. It can be anything a 2 X 4, sheet goods like plywood, drywall and even Glass. Just change the material designation.

Graham

I use the partition as there are more options to control positioning, sizing, etc. than a slab which is actually a polyline. Either works. The way I see it is that everything is really just several basic shapes, by varying their size and combination with each other you create anything you want. It's called a partition but in reality it's just an object with variable width, height and depth options. It can be anything a 2 X 4, sheet goods like plywood, drywall and even Glass. Just change the material designation.

Graham

I have always used Soffits for glass showers , are there advantages to using the Partition instead ?

I haven't looked into Material Regions yet btw.

Thanks for the video, provides a good overview of the wall type/covering and material regions function and application. I must however say that from my perspective there appears to be a lot of steps involved considering that this was done without the need for any accurate positioning, sizing or plan and elevation dimensioning.

Just as an example. This approach uses only one object (well maybe two) to create every element; curbs, glass, door, seat, tile surface & floor.

Assume shower is 42” x 42”, curbs 4” x 4”.

1.) 1st Curb – partition, size 4”X4”x42”, drop & snap to wall 38” from other wall.

2.) 2nd Curb – copy/paste first curb, drag & snap to wall & first curb.

3.) Floor – shelf, 1/4" thick, set on floor, handle drag/size/snap to walls & curbs.

4.) 1st Glass pane – partition, height off floor 4”, 1/4” thick. Drop/drag over curb center, drag/snap to walls.

5.) 2nd Glass Pane – copy/paste first, drag into position.

6.) Glass Door – copy/paste 2nd glass, position & size.

7.) Walls – partitions, drag/snap to clad walls, floors, ceiling.

8.) Bench – partition, size, drop/drag/snap into position.

9.) Materials – set as required via dialog box or material painter.

Every element will adhere fully to all bumping/pushing and drag/snap behaviors. All elements can be manipulated in all view formats plan/elevation & camera. All elements will dimension correctly in both plan & elevation views (inside/outside edges & centers). All elements will be accurately positioned, glass will be 4” off of floor, 0” on curb. Glass to glass door clearances can be set. All intersects such as glass to tile, glass to curb etc. can be fully evaluated. All adjustment/modifications can be done using simple drag/snap object handles in all view formats.

I don’t mean to say this is a better method, it just depends upon how one prefers to get things done.

Graham

Here's my method.  It requires a little bit of organization within the Library but it makes it real easy to create - and editing is very easy as well

http://screencast.com/t/kJvmrO1a2J

Very nice demo vid, thanks for sharing. Just one question concerning dimensioning. When I use the Material Regions, say for the wall tile, and I set the thickness to say 3". When in the plan view I can't get the dimensions to lock-in on the object to dimension the thickness. I know I can point (marker) this but then every time something changes I have to go back and manually correct it. These Material Regions appear to dimension properly in elevation views but it is in the plan view where I encounter difficulties. Any suggestions?.

I believe the last couple of posts bring to light a very important consideration that needs to be taken into account as we attempt to assist each other through our own experience(s). That is  "Users End Needs Vary" and as such the best suited technique can only be judged within the context of the users end needs.

Given this it may be more conducive if we were to reframe from using terms such as "Best" when referring to our methods. Yes, we are all passionate about our perceived knowledge & expertise, however it is really up to the end user to define "Best" according to their specific needs. The intent of the forum is to promote the exchange of ideas and experiences between participants and as a resource for non forum participating Chief users. Would this intent not be better served by minimizing our competitive nature within the forum? Would this not create an atmosphere that would encourage less experienced users to openly express their ideas and needs without fear of intimidation or embarrassment? I strongly believe so!

Graham

I believe the last couple of posts bring to light a very important consideration that needs to be taken into account as we attempt to assist each other through our own experience(s). That is  "Users End Needs Vary" and as such the best suited technique can only be judged within the context of the users end needs.

Given this it may be more conducive if we were to reframe from using terms such as "Best" when referring to our methods. Yes, we are all passionate about our perceived knowledge & expertise, however it is really up to the end user to define "Best" according to their specific needs. The intent of the forum is to promote the exchange of ideas and experiences between participants and as a resource for non forum participating Chief users. Would this intent not be better served by minimizing our competitive nature within the forum? Would this not create an atmosphere that would encourage less experienced users to openly express their ideas and needs without fear of intimidation or embarrassment? I strongly believe so!

Graham

Well,  that goes without saying.

What I do think is important is to explain  why one thinks a particular approach is better than another.  

To say,  "I like my approach better" is useless dribble.  

There are a many ways to accomplish a task,   but for pete's sake,  let's talk about advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

And as far as the competitive nature goes,  are you kidding?  Getting rid of the competitive nature is what it is all about,  it is the competitive nature that drives us to come up with better solutions.  Let's check our feelings and our egos at the door and teach each other and learn from each other so we as a group will become more successful in our businesses.

Eliminate the competitive nature?  Let's just hand out a bunch of first place trophies.

Well,  that goes without saying.

What I do think is important is to explain  why one thinks a particular approach is better than another.  

To say,  "I like my approach better" is useless dribble.  

There are a many ways to accomplish a task,   but for pete's sake,  let's talk about advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

And as far as the competitive nature goes,  are you kidding?  Getting rid of the competitive nature is what it is all about,  it is the competitive nature that drives us to come up with better solutions.  Let's check our feelings and our egos at the door and teach each other and learn from each other so we as a group will become more successful in our businesses.

Eliminate the competitive nature?  Let's just hand out a bunch of first place trophies.

Only If I it means the first recipient is better than the second !!!

I am certainly going to investigate the Wall Type & Railing suggestion further. Thanks for all of the tips. In the past I have utilized the methods described within my posts in order to get the details I require. For example, the curb would likely have a sill on top versus being fully tiled, and the sill may also have a 1/4" reveal over the interior exterior tiled curb. The sill may also require a profile edge (bullnose, etc) There are also instances were the glass is not centered on the curb (sill). How easily can this be accommodated using the other methods mention? Also require the ability to fully dimension all of this.

Graham

This is a common requirement for many of my jobs.

The shower glass needs to be on top pf the tub deck.

Here I used railing walls then go all the way to the floor.

Not sure how to frame it if I needed to?

Tub Deck is a solid & I used a standard shower pan, no the best choice.

I need to improve my method.

Some showers are framed glass & some frame-less glass.

Just another hurdle in the "how to" process.

post-2435-0-60026700-1425958551_thumb.png

Really nice vid. Worthwhile noting that the Backsplash tool seems to be identical to the Material Regions tool, just given a unique name. Too take things a bit further the Custom Counter Top tool and Slab tool are also identical, they just provide control over the horizontal face versus the vertical. Maybe we just need one tool that allows us to define the control face and the Material List designation?

Graham

...... Worthwhile noting that the Backsplash tool seems to be identical to the Material Regions tool, just given a unique name. .........

CA has finally figured it out,  use same tool for many different purposes but give it a unique name and it is no longer a work around.  Brilliant.

BTW Graham,  nice catch,  and some nice input coming from you,  thanks.