X-14 Slowness

robdyck

Go to solution Solved by robdyck,

Is anyone else experiencing ridiculously slow response times in X14? Specifically when using a plan created in X13.

Just thought I'd check with others before sending all my plans in to TS.

By comparison, the OOB template plan in X14 is crazy fast.

32 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Is anyone else experiencing ridiculously slow response times in X14? Specifically when using a plan created in X13.

Have not experienced that here.

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

I'm jealous! I turned off auto wall framing and that helped quite a bit. 

I will say vector lines are way way way slower to produce.
I have a few material files that have generated patterns and they take about 10x to load up.
So maybe your framing is in a vector view?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

So maybe your framing is in a vector view?

Yes, it is. I just switched it to standard view and it generated in about 1.5 seconds instead of 4 seconds (and only 26,186 surfaces).

But it was taking about 20 seconds to open or switch between SVP's. The library is brutal and even opening an existing rich text box is painful. 

6 hours ago, robdyck said:

I have experienced that, and reported it on the X-14 report link.  CA reports that they can't duplicate the problem.  It persists on my computer (not the one in the signature line, but my new computer with a RTX 3080 Ti Video card.  Windows 10 i7 1200k cpu. 

Neither of those are on in my situation.  It can take minutes for CA to load an old file, and the same thing happens from time to time with library files.  Task manager just reports CA not responding.  

If anyone can find a case where X14 is noticeably slower than X13 was when doing something in particular, then please be sure and report this to our tech support team.

If would be very helpful if you could include the original X13 plan and the exact steps that you are using to see the slow downs.  This is the kind of information that can really help us to determine the cause.

You can find information about contacting tech support here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/

I have figured out one of the problems, and the fix, well sort of.   The problem is that the old layout files may have reference to either library items or PDF files, such as surveys that X-14 can't find.  It tries to resolve these files and doesn't stop (and won't let you do anything either) until it times out.  In my case, that took about 2-3 minutes.  

The file then opens.  If you then try to open the plan file by clicking on an inserted view in the layout, again you have to go through the long wait until it times out.  Trying to do a file check and link also creates a really long wait, very frustrating indeed. 

Now the good news.   Do a file check for missing files, and don't try to fix them.  Make note of the file, and where it is looking for the file.  Then delete the reference.

Next re-insert the pdf, or referenced file manually.

Nest time the file opens like silk.  No problem.  

I can't speak for others, but part of the problem in my case is because I am also running a new computer, new drives, new everything.  That prevented X-14 from importing my user library,  

As a note of caution to others, make sure that you export your library, especially all those precious blocks that you made to some known place so that you can import them again.  That one missed step is causing most of my problems with X-14, at least as far as I can tell.

• Upvote 1

I have had a similar problem. (User Library)

For me, the program could not find all my materials, some but not all.  At some point, materials were located on a different drive or location. (new server meant new paths)  The system would hang for each wrong path but it did not tell me there was a problem. every time I tried to open a library or search the system would hang for a couple minutes.  I didn't know what the issue was until I tried to backup the user library, then the system reported the missing materials.  I relocated the materials, changed the search file locations and if that didn't fix everything I just defaulted to using basic white.  I can repair the library items if I run across the blocks that are missing the files.

14 hours ago, Doug_N said:

The problem is that the old layout files may have reference to either library items or PDF files, such as surveys that X-14 can't find.

Although there do need to be improvements to delays when files are missing, I would like the option to keep track of what files (with full paths) are being referenced and not just what's missing to keep things well managed as I suggested here:

I can see from using developer diagnostic tools that Chief goes through a lot of locations trying to find referenced files which is great, but it means even with good practices the odd unexpected location can creep in which in turn leads to more cases of missing files when upgrading Chief, new PC etc and then more of these slowdowns.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this back up. X14 sometimes takes 20-30 seconds just to switch between saved plan views. Sometimes just entering text takes 5-10 seconds or longer. Anyone else experiencing extreme slowness compared to X13? If so, has anyone found a solution to that slowness? This happens across many different files, and none of them are very complex.

X14 is also mildly blurry compared to X13.

Also, visually, lines of selected objects often appear as though they are off by about 1/16" which, makes me constantly wonder if something got bumped out of place. Then when I zoom in or check a dimension, I see it is in the correct place. Again, new to X14.

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Have not experienced any 'slowness' here.

Thanks for the feedback Larry. Appreciate the response. Do you re-use a lot of plans or do you always start from new?

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

Thanks for the feedback Larry. Appreciate the response. Do you re-use a lot of plans or do you always start from new?

I have a template plan file brought over from X13 (maybe even X12?) that I start every new plan from. Never technically 're-use' a plan.

35 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Also, visually, lines of selected objects often appear as though they are off by about 1/16" which, makes me constantly wonder if something got bumped out of place. Then when I zoom in or check a dimension, I see it is in the correct place. Again, new to X14.

I see the blurriness but when I actually print it it's perfectly clear.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:18 AM, robdyck said:

that's very generous of you ...only mildly?  and I have the 1/16th issue as well , along with the text boxes losing one border unless zoomed in.

I am not sure if this is related to an older plan brought forward perhaps or something else......  the blurriness is like the "Performance View" workaround in Layout  for Live Cameras, has now been applied to ALL cameras .... and Update while Idle seems to have no effect not that it should be needed Running a 3080/3080Ti.

* I thought it maybe related to running windows at 125% , but the blurriness is the same at 100%.

*** I see the Chief Team are here again , a downvote for this post ...wow ...

M.

image.thumb.png.1bb15217fcb22ad9367263ea3d9986ab.png image.thumb.png.88447e73c23267c9b48ec011f1aa082f.png 

image.thumb.png.a15170c171a58bdc689c5c626084f6dc.pngimage.thumb.png.2e72abf560d3cb289fd0f152fc54b840.png

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

along with the text boxes losing one border unless zoomed in.

Yes!

10 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

the blurryness is like the "Performance View" workaround in Layout  for Live Cameras, has now been applied to ALL cameras

Yes, Exactly! My poor bleeding eyes! I know we're not supposed to say it on this forum but Chief has screwed us again. That's 2 versions in a row!! 

It'd be one thing if they fixed this, like tomorrow, but when you've got the customers on an annual or monthly fee, I guess then they (we) aren't always right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

This seems to be a pretty serious clue to the problem.

Come on now...just don't work for any volume builders? I'll have to check with Chief exactly what this software is for;). Granted, it says something that an empty version of Chief's Template plan is quick...I'm just not sure what.

The Blurriness was the 1st thing I noticed in Beta and commented here, but there didn't seemed to be many me too comments at the time,

but I know it's not the monitor(s)  as I now have new IPS LG's as of last week, or my eyesight even though I wear glasses , cos no other program has the Issue.

M.