Wood grain directions

BigKahuna

When putting wood shelves / polyline solid in a design I can use wood material and rotate the grain direction to run the length of a shelf as needed  by rotating the texture in materials... but the grain on the edge of the shelf runs vertical. Is there a way to make the grain go through the entire object  so the grain is realistic on the edge ?

Solver. Thanks  I first tried using convert to plain polyline as thats all I could find to use and it simply disappeared.  I then found the solid tools icon that I have never used before. So it works but as I am sure you are aware it then makes it more of a pain to copy or move around later if needed. It does the trick if one doesnt want to mess around with them much after exploding..  Would be nice if we could specify it to go all through the solid object.  Thanks again.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

One can also use a general framing member for this application. Framing members wrap wood grain correctly automatically. Adjust schedule controls as needed and same with layers and labels.

Thanks Rob,  I will look into that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigKahuna said:

When putting wood shelves / polyline solid in a design I can use wood material and rotate the grain direction to run the length of a shelf as needed  by rotating the texture in materials... but the grain on the edge of the shelf runs vertical. Is there a way to make the grain go through the entire object  so the grain is realistic on the edge ?

You know what else will apply the wood grain correctly is the Shelf tool.  Also a lot faster when building a shelf.

image.thumb.png.5a1a54c5db75788bd4cb69729d29cca9.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, raltd9245 said:

a great solution for a MATURE Program!!!!!!!!

lol...well, just remember in X13 Chief gave us a way to make quick copies of texture files so we can have 4+ version of the same texture type in different directions....because that is a smart way to handle this sort of thing.  When I design a custom timber truss (visual) its wonderful having this problem only to learn you have to adjust its size again and start over.

(yes, i am salty)

On 1/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, rgardner said:

You know what else will apply the wood grain correctly is the Shelf tool.  Also a lot faster when building a shelf.

Thanks for the tip Ryan!  I never get into modifying cabinetry to the level of shelving, so I've never used that tool.  Now that I know about this aspect I'll be using it instead of p-solids when it suits.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, rgardner said:

image.thumb.png.5a1a54c5db75788bd4cb69729d29cca9.png

GREAT TIP I WILL TRY THAT. I HAVENT USED THAT TOOL BEFORE.. I FEEL DUMB THAT I NEVER CAME ACROSSED THAT SIMPLE TOOL AND YES IT WORKED GREAT

2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Thanks for the tip Ryan!  I never get into modifying cabinetry to the level of shelving, so I've never used that tool.  Now that I know about this aspect I'll be using it instead of p-solids when it suits.

ME TOO. GLAD MY IGNORANCE HELPED A FEW PEOPLE GAIN MORE KNOWLEDGE :)

• 8 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 6:24 AM, Chrisb222 said:

Thanks to all for the woodgrain tips.

Off topic, but I use the shelf tool all the time for closet shelving. Material white, and the layer uses a dashed line. Quick way to indicate shelving in plans, and looks decent enough in 3d views too. Height is automatic.

Screenshot_20210131-081529.thumb.png.3ecdb08b0e7c27ca7f895c4db2db1d6a.png

@Chrisb222 how do you get the shelf to show no miter. Mine always show straight thru (as I draw it). Is there a way to draw it that it so it shows like yours and not mine?

image.png.ccb8aa8f0af89e9eb38af2ead8145534.png