BigKahuna

Wood grain directions

Recommended Posts

When putting wood shelves / polyline solid in a design I can use wood material and rotate the grain direction to run the length of a shelf as needed  by rotating the texture in materials... but the grain on the edge of the shelf runs vertical. Is there a way to make the grain go through the entire object  so the grain is realistic on the edge ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Convert to a Solid, Explode, apply materials to each face.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One can also use a general framing member for this application. Framing members wrap wood grain correctly automatically. Adjust schedule controls as needed and same with layers and labels.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solver. Thanks  I first tried using convert to plain polyline as thats all I could find to use and it simply disappeared.  I then found the solid tools icon that I have never used before. So it works but as I am sure you are aware it then makes it more of a pain to copy or move around later if needed. It does the trick if one doesnt want to mess around with them much after exploding..  Would be nice if we could specify it to go all through the solid object.  Thanks again.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, robdyck said:

One can also use a general framing member for this application. Framing members wrap wood grain correctly automatically. Adjust schedule controls as needed and same with layers and labels.

Thanks Rob,  I will look into that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you have applied your materials, select it all and create a symbol. Won't be perfect because the material will stretch or contract when you resize the symbol, but you can apply resized materials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, robdyck said:

One can also use a general framing member for this application. Framing members wrap wood grain correctly automatically.

Great tip, thanks Robert

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigKahuna said:

When putting wood shelves / polyline solid in a design I can use wood material and rotate the grain direction to run the length of a shelf as needed  by rotating the texture in materials... but the grain on the edge of the shelf runs vertical. Is there a way to make the grain go through the entire object  so the grain is realistic on the edge ?

You know what else will apply the wood grain correctly is the Shelf tool.  Also a lot faster when building a shelf.

 

image.thumb.png.5a1a54c5db75788bd4cb69729d29cca9.png

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, solver said:

Convert to a Solid, Explode, apply materials to each face.

a great solution for a MATURE Program!!!!!!!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rgardner said:

You know what else will apply the wood grain correctly is the Shelf tool.  Also a lot faster when building a shelf.

 

image.thumb.png.5a1a54c5db75788bd4cb69729d29cca9.png

I should have checked before answering! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raltd9245 said:

a great solution for a MATURE Program!!!!!!!!

 

lol...well, just remember in X13 Chief gave us a way to make quick copies of texture files so we can have 4+ version of the same texture type in different directions....because that is a smart way to handle this sort of thing.  When I design a custom timber truss (visual) its wonderful having this problem only to learn you have to adjust its size again and start over.

(yes, i am salty)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 10:34 AM, rgardner said:

You know what else will apply the wood grain correctly is the Shelf tool.  Also a lot faster when building a shelf.

Thanks for the tip Ryan!  I never get into modifying cabinetry to the level of shelving, so I've never used that tool.  Now that I know about this aspect I'll be using it instead of p-solids when it suits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, rgardner said:

You know what else will apply the wood grain correctly is the Shelf tool.  Also a lot faster when building a shelf.

 

image.thumb.png.5a1a54c5db75788bd4cb69729d29cca9.png

GREAT TIP I WILL TRY THAT. I HAVENT USED THAT TOOL BEFORE.. I FEEL DUMB THAT I NEVER CAME ACROSSED THAT SIMPLE TOOL AND YES IT WORKED GREAT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Thanks for the tip Ryan!  I never get into modifying cabinetry to the level of shelving, so I've never used that tool.  Now that I know about this aspect I'll be using it instead of p-solids when it suits.

ME TOO. GLAD MY IGNORANCE HELPED A FEW PEOPLE GAIN MORE KNOWLEDGE :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to all for the woodgrain tips.

 

Off topic, but I use the shelf tool all the time for closet shelving. Material white, and the layer uses a dashed line. Quick way to indicate shelving in plans, and looks decent enough in 3d views too. Height is automatic.

 

Screenshot_20210131-081529.thumb.png.3ecdb08b0e7c27ca7f895c4db2db1d6a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Using the shelving has saved tons of time.. great tool  It is limited though, no miter cuts.. always square - rectangular.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

Using the shelving has saved tons of time.. great tool  It is limited though, no miter cuts.. always square - rectangular.     

 

Yes true that's a limitation but my shelving company doesn't do angles either soo... :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    29127
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    TinkerB
    Newest Member
    TinkerB
    Joined