rwdozier

Triple Gable

Recommended Posts

Attempting a triple gable look that a client likes. Is there a simple way to achieve this look? Here is my stab at it. I just can't seem to get the middle gable reversed without a bunch of manual roof planes. Suggestions appreciated.

 

Thanks...

Triple_Gable_Test_03.plan

Triple_Gable_Look.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy Bob,

 

I suggest that you learn the basics of manual roof planes. It is not hard to learn the basics in under an hour with a qualified instructor.

 

Regards,

Charles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply break the 2 front gables and drag them up to form the center gable. You will probably need to manually place that attic wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the video in X12 so I cannot share the results back to you, the video will have to suffice.

DJP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your plan does not match the inspiration image.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tell them no. As if the 'nested gable' disease wasn't bad enough, it's metastasized! It's possible your clients have terrible taste - better to provide them some alternative worth building. If you have never read 'get your house right' it's time.

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kylejmarsh said:

Just tell them no. As if the 'nested gable' disease wasn't bad enough, it's metastasized! It's possible your clients have terrible taste - better to provide them some alternative worth building. If you have never read 'get your house right' it's time.

???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my neck of the woods we have subdivisions and lots everywhere with this style front; clients want them. I do several a year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

In my neck of the woods we have subdivisions and lots everywhere with this style front; clients want them. I do several a year.

I gotta admit, I draw my share that are similar as well. And in my neck of the woods, I buy food for the kids with the money other people give me to draw what they like. Sometimes they care if I like it as well, other times...not so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks for all of your replies. I will proceed with manual roof planes.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As people who are supposed to be professionals, it's sad that many keep steering their clients toward houses that belong on mcmansionhell.com - to be sure, I don't agree with the blog authors politics (probably SJW etc) but ironically, she's advocating a return to principles of true Architectural design instead of the shoot from the hip make it up as you go along copy from some online plan version that many people seem to be doing these days - people who are probably consider themselves Conservative but throw all consideration for tradition out the window when it comes to architecture - just because some client has a vague idea they want a 'triple gable' or whatever. 

 

There is a beautiful architectural tradition stretching back thousands of years, but we seem to think there is nothing it can teach us - throwing it away and taking the law into our own hands - no wonder there are so many horrendously ugly houses built everywhere these days. Architectural menaces abound - but you don't have to be one yourself!

 

I said it before - read through Get Your House Right at least once so you have some basic idea of traditional home design. It's not a hard read. Your country will thank you for it - and clients will beat a path to your door.

 

Speaking of which - back to work!!

 

  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you but that does not override the old saw of "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "The customer is always 'right' ". I try to steer my clients away from such things but with the former in mind.

 

DJP

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 2:09 AM, rwdozier said:

Attempting a triple gable look that a client likes. Is there a simple way to achieve this look? Here is my stab at it. I just can't seem to get the middle gable reversed without a bunch of manual roof planes. Suggestions appreciated.

 

Thanks...

Triple_Gable_Test_03.plan

 

On 6/15/2020 at 2:09 AM, rwdozier said:

Attempting a triple gable look that a client likes. Is there a simple way to achieve this look? Here is my stab at it. I just can't seem to get the middle gable reversed without a bunch of manual roof planes. Suggestions appreciated.

 

Thanks...

Triple_Gable_Test_03.plan

Triple_Gable_Look.jpg

 

 

Just a quick example plan attached....I didn't make it exact...but maybe you can look at what I did with the roof planes and learn what to do to make your plan work.  

Here is my example plan:  Fix Plan 01.zip

 

Here is a pic of my example plan:

2020-06-22_13-10-46.thumb.png.8519097f6a6207817a03788af7a83ce0.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 1:09 AM, rwdozier said:

Attempting a triple gable look that a client likes. Is there a simple way to achieve this look? Here is my stab at it. I just can't seem to get the middle gable reversed without a bunch of manual roof planes. Suggestions appreciated.

 

Thanks...

Triple_Gable_Test_03.plan

Triple_Gable_Look.jpg

I personally don't care for that look but if you look closely, there does appear to be a cricket where the two gables come together I think.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, SNestor said:

 

Just a quick example plan attached....I didn't make it exact...but maybe you can look at what I did with the roof planes and learn what to do to make your plan work.  

Here is my example plan:  Fix Plan 01.zip

 

Here is a pic of my example plan:

2020-06-22_13-10-46.thumb.png.8519097f6a6207817a03788af7a83ce0.png

Thanks Steve, but I am still on X11. The photo seems to what I am attempting to achieve and yes, I have a solution for the problem area. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 6:39 AM, kylejmarsh said:

As people who are supposed to be professionals, it's sad that many keep steering their clients toward houses that belong on mcmansionhell.com - to be sure, I don't agree with the blog authors politics (probably SJW etc) but ironically, she's advocating a return to principles of true Architectural design instead of the shoot from the hip make it up as you go along copy from some online plan version that many people seem to be doing these days - people who are probably consider themselves Conservative but throw all consideration for tradition out the window when it comes to architecture - just because some client has a vague idea they want a 'triple gable' or whatever. 

 

There is a beautiful architectural tradition stretching back thousands of years, but we seem to think there is nothing it can teach us - throwing it away and taking the law into our own hands - no wonder there are so many horrendously ugly houses built everywhere these days. Architectural menaces abound - but you don't have to be one yourself!

 

I said it before - read through Get Your House Right at least once so you have some basic idea of traditional home design. It's not a hard read. Your country will thank you for it - and clients will beat a path to your door.

 

Speaking of which - back to work!!

 

Kyle, my deepest apologies, but I think I should be the one to decide what the principles of "true Architectural design" truly are. If there are any designs out there that need my input as to the proper design criteria please post them on this forum and I will tell you what is correct and proper and what is not.

 

By the way I have plenty of clients that I have bullied in to thinking that what they want is not what they want and have set them straight and shown them the proper principles and what they really want. I don't understand why they haven't recommended my services but at least they got what I wanted instead of what they wanted. Very good feeling - Back to work...[/sarcasm]

 

From Get Your House Right...."She presents the definitive guide to what makes houses look and feel right." Really? There's a definitive guide? Will never read nor consider reading anyone who thinks this might be true. Just sayin'.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HumbleChief - I own and have read "Get Your House Right"...it's a fine book for what it is.

Basically...the authors aimed the book at builders who attempt to re-create traditional colonial residential architecture and are not paying attention to specific details...which in turn are making the area's of the country where these elitist critics live look "different" and making them feel "uncomfortable".  :o

 

The book is great if you are attempting to design a colonial home...and want the detailing to look authentic.  The book does include many design methods that could translate to other architectural styles...such as "scale", window placement...and even some good tips related to roof design.   

 

But - one things that is as reliable as the sun rising...no one but the person signing the checks is the final arbiter of what constitutes "good architecture".  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SNestor said:

But - one things that is as reliable as the sun rising...no one but the person signing the checks is the final arbiter of what constitutes "good architecture".  

Yeah I'm sure the author has put tremendous effort in to detailing the way a certain style of house should look but I bristle at the idea that there is definitive 'good architecture.' I also have experience as a general contractor with architects who beat their clients in to 'design submission' because certain design elements were proper or correct according perhaps to a book of some kind. The clients just gave up what they really wanted because the architect knew better. Vowed I would never do that as a designer.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah I'm sure the author has put tremendous effort in to detailing the way a certain style of house should look but I bristle at the idea that there is definitive 'good architecture.' I also have experience as a general contractor with architects who beat their clients in to 'design submission' because certain design elements were proper or correct according perhaps to a book of some kind. The clients just gave up what they really wanted because the architect knew better. Vowed I would never do that as a designer.

 

I'm old enough to know when to "stop" suggesting...and give the client what they want.  

 

I think you would agree...HGTV has done a marvelous job creating home designers out of accountants, doctors, IT people...they now are all architectural "experts".  Therefore, I decided years ago to give my "paying" customers what they want...unless they ask me for my opinion.  I give it to them...and let them decide.  I gave up trying to be Frank Lloyd Wright many years ago...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SNestor said:

 

I'm old enough to know when to "stop" suggesting...and give the client what they want.  

 

I think you would agree...HGTV has done a marvelous job creating home designers out of accountants, doctors, IT people...they now are all architectural "experts".  Therefore, I decided years ago to give my "paying" customers what they want...unless they ask me for my opinion.  I give it to them...and let them decide.  I gave up trying to be Frank Lloyd Wright many years ago...

I have found that for me and my clients giving them what they 'want' can take many different forms. When I find out what they really want, and as you probably know it can be very difficult for them to make that initial decision, then the form has at least a decent chance of meeting that want. If they show me a picture of a triple gable and she (yes as you also realize 'she's' making most calls) is excited about the look, then I'm excited too and will do everything to get that look for them. I guess I could sit them down and make them read a book as to why their excitement is unfounded but there's just no place in me for that design approach.

 

BTW your design help for the OP as always is very, very helpful whereas my rant is certainly not so I'll stop.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

From Get Your House Right...."She presents the definitive guide to what makes houses look and feel right." Really? There's a definitive guide? Will never read nor consider reading anyone who thinks this might be true. Just sayin'.

 

There is nothing wrong with the Book in of itself ...I bought it a number of years ago myself - and like it, for for it's general design principals etc, but I guess my own design Principals" must naturally follows Hers as mine weren't learnt at School. As for it being a definitive Guide I am unsure and only the Reader could make that judgement, as from reading the book overtime I doubt the Author ever thought that about Her own book , ie She seems to have Her feet firmly on the ground unlike Her Editor/Book Publisher apparently...

 

M. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if I came off like a ****, think it was a rough day - anyway I'm not saying I know what good architecture is (I certainly try), just that it does exist, so does shitty architecture. And that there are rules to creating harmonious proportions, more than just stepping back and squinting your eyes a bit at it. The fact that there is so much horrendous architecture around us speaks to the lack of any understanding (or even care) about creating beautiful (or even nice-looking) buildings.

 

I'm somewhat discouraged by the position that 'well all architecture is as good as any other architecture'. I think if you are honest with yourself, and avoid the knee-jerk reaction that everything is relative, or that 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' which is the philosophy of nihilists, and admit that there is such a thing as good design and that it takes effort, knowledge, and attention - you would do yourself and your clients a great service. 

 

The most recent resource I've gotten into - and which makes me feel like I mess absolutely everything up somehow (but in a good way) is called the oldhouseguy.com

 

Here's a great example of a thing everybody 'forgets', which doesn't add any cost to a house but adds a lot of character - the Frieze board. I started spelling it Freeze on my drawings because I figured the builders didn't know how to pronounce it (I was right) and so were leaving it off. Since I changed the spelling I haven't had a single one try to skip it. Not that it proves anything and is a tangent, but is worth noting.

 

The more I learn about historic home design the more I realize just how much knowledge and expertise was baked into these old 'simple' houses our great grandfathers built all over the country. So I've decided to learn more about that craft, instead of just taking it into my own hands - and since doing this the quality of client, and the size of my fees has grown dramatically. You can do what you want, but in this way knowledge has really shown itself to be power - in the form of professional competence. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote from colourlovers.com 

Crayola crayons currently come in 120 colors including 23 reds, 20 greens, 19 blues, 16 purples, 14 oranges, 11 browns, 8 yellows, 2 grays, 2 coppers, 2 blacks, 1 white, 1 gold and 1 silver. Although Crayola crayons come in 120 different colors, the labels are only made in 18, which cover the full color spectrum. Nearly 3 billion crayons are made each year, an average of 12 million daily. That's enough to circle the globe 6 times with color!

 

Kyle,

Point being, Somebody likes every color that is made....we are all different......some I like, some I don't........ I personally don't agree with you and I think throughout history you'll find others that also don't agree..... Take for instance Furniture     Period style.........Shaker Style but on the other hand French Provincial.

 

We all have opinions!! Make several million dollars a year for 30 plus years and then you can do what you want with yours!

 

To criticize someone asking for help because you don't like the customers architecture ....... is wrong!

 

Blessings,

 

kw

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28031
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    keldhaigh
    Newest Member
    keldhaigh
    Joined