Best Computer for running Cheif

VinnieVicon

Should have got the 1tb version b/c I put everything on mine, and it was the best upgrade I ever did.

You may not notice as much change b/c you already have a powerful computer where mine is 5 years old but I have put several new parts in it.

I've got something set up wrong. My windows experience score is still 5.9, dragged down by HD performance. The BIOS is seeing the SSD in the proper 6 Gb/sec SATA slot but it won't boot to the SSD when I disconnect the other drives so maybe the cloning didn't work? I couldn't get Samsung's Data migration too to work, kept failing clone so I used Macrium Reflect. Probably messed up the cloning process.

Re-cloned the SSD. (Forgot to clone the boot sector but wouldn't want to admit that out loud). It now boots to the SSD and seems faster in limited regards but need to test more. One thing I noticed was the Windows desktop icons fill in and populate pretty much instantly now but haven't noticed any other great speed improvements - yet. Thanks for the help BTW.

Just a quick follow up and hoping it will help others. I can't point to a single thing that has sped up noticeably but there is a general 'snapiness' to almost everything I never noticed before. Not night and day differences but noticeable.

Like everyone here my brain goes so much faster than the computer will allow but that snapiness is a refreshing change and I'm sure it's due to the SSD drive.

Thanks again for all the info regarding same and it's something I would highly recommend even if your machine is already pretty fast like mine was.

An SSD has no moving parts because it is basically a microchip (or chips). They should last quite a while but their lifespan is not infinite. I have one in my machine but I would say that I probably should have skipped it and gone for a faster CPU for the ray-tracing.

I always get the best computer I can get for $1500 about every five years and that seems to work out fine. A typical gaming computer will do, Chief is deigned to run on such systems as they are relatively inexpensive and widely available (and fun if you also like to play Call of Duty or something like it).

This should be simple, right? You guys are businessmen designing and building houses, why should you have to worry so much about computers?

Does anyone use the new Mac Pro cylinder? It has many of the top qualification specs mentioned in this thread. Multiple cores, SSD, fast graphics and plenty of RAM. And it looks cool. I was wondering how well it works compared to a PC.

I just upgraded to a 17-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz 16GB of fast ram with a GTX 760  with an SSD (Desktop) and it's plenty fast.  Handles Raytracing and Working simultaneously with out a hiccup.   But my favorite upgrade was this 30" Yamakasi 2400x1600 Monitor for $420 delivered--Amazon.  I took a chance since the Dell 30" seemed to have many issues out of the box.  You need to make sure you have the correct card for using it--all 30" monitors need Dual link DVI connections.  But the resolution of 2400x1600 is as good as I've seen and the real estate makes working a lot more fun.  

However, after getting this I decided two huge glaring white monitors side by side were a bit much to stare into all day, so I changed all my backgrounds to black.  See other post about that.  Life is good. 

• 1 month later...

We will be switching to CA next year and the company I work for just ordered (2) of these:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Power Supply: Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Operating System: Windows 7 Profesional (64Bit) English

Memory: 16GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz

Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980 with 4GB GDDR5

Hard Drive: SSD 128GB

We will be switching to CA next year and the company I work for just ordered (2) of these:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Processor (6-cores, 15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.8 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)

Power Supply: Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply

Operating System: Windows 7 Profesional (64Bit) English

Memory: 16GB Quad Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz

Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980 with 4GB GDDR5

Hard Drive: SSD 128GB

I am considering something very simlar myself now.  What is different is that I am looking into the M.2 drive option.  Don't really know enough about it yet to make an informed decision.

Your selection looks like a winner in my book.  The next step up in processors is double the price, and it is hard to determine whether the added expense would be warented.

If you don't mind, would you please provide an update as to how the new computers work out with Chief.  Thanks.

What kind of cooling is it going to have?

I would suggest self contained cooling. I used 

"CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid
CPU Cooler"

my average temp is 31-32c, under 100% full load (raytrace operation) running OC @ 4ghz temps are 52-54c

This will help achieve the best life expectancy out of your cpu.