Best Computer for running Cheif

VinnieVicon

After listening to all of you I decided to try to put together a list of parts to build my own system (PDF attached below).

This is what I came up with. Any thoughts. opinions and suggestions would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

I was also looking at a Dell system (XPS 8700 http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fddogs107h&model_id=xps-8700) because I have been happy with my laptop from Dell and their support. Their description is hard to compare with my list though.

Computer System.pdf

After listening to all of you I decided to try to put together a list of parts to build my own system (PDF attached below).

This is what I came up with. Any thoughts. opinions and suggestions would be appreciated before I pull the trigger.

I was also looking at a Dell system (XPS 8700 http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fddogs107h&model_id=xps-8700) because I have been happy with my laptop from Dell and their support. Their description is hard to compare with my list though.

I am no computer expert, but do you plan to overclock (the k series is made for that)  If so, you do not wan to to use the stock cooler.  Also  650W power may be light.

"Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer or component to operate faster than the manufactured clock frequency (hence the name "overclocking"). Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational."

Here is some cold hard truth for anybody ray tracing from within CAX6...

A 12"x12" outdoor shot @150dpi (good for outdoor signage to be viewed from a distance) < 100 3D trees, 15 lights. Env lighting and Photons on, Starting file size 126MB.

Memory Usage Events as Reported by MS Resource Monitor:

Open file in CAX6, 660MB

1 Camera view rendered, 2.5GB

Ray Trace:

Chief Architect Premier X6.exe using 2.7GB

ChiefArchitectRayTracer.exe using 14GB

Yes, that's 16.7GB of RAM used during ray trace of an image that's not terribly large or high-resolution.

Total system memory use is 25GB (I do other things while ray tracing).  So, tell me again how 16GB of RAM is good for using CA?  And yes, all four cores (8 threads) of the CPU are pegged @100%.

If you ray trace from CA (or really any ray tracer) More cores/threads on the CPU is good.  Higher clock speed on the CPU is good.  32GB of matched clock speed RAM is just necessary.

jon

What is overclock?

It is making your computer processsor work faster then the speeds the factory set it to.  Most of the time, the manufacturer limits the speed to control the power consumed and the heat generated.  It used to be a difficult and risky thing to do.  But Intel has been making a line of processors that allow overclocking (the K after the number) and the bios of some motherboards make it a pretty simple step.  If you do not plan to overclock, the stock fan and your power should be fine.

It is making your computer processsor work faster then the speeds the factory set it to.  Most of the time, the manufacturer limits the speed to control the power consumed and the heat generated.  It used to be a difficult and risky thing to do.  But Intel has been making a line of processors that allow overclocking (the K after the number) and the bios of some motherboards make it a pretty simple step.  If you do not plan to overclock, the stock fan and your power should be fine.

I understand. Thank you very much!