Lew

I reckon that Chief should have a checkbox for "No Workarounds"

Glenn:

then very few projects could ever be completed

as they almost always require workarounds to be used

I venture that it is impossible to create a full model with condocs

and not use workarounds

Lew,

I hope you are not being ironic - I don't think irony should be tolerated here.

Glenn:

I don't get your "irony" reference ???

I'm asking serious questions about the definition of "work-around"

but all I get in reply is "dancing"

oh well, as a systems analyst/programmer having started in 1976

and working for over a dozen major corps around the DC beltway

I am quite familiar with the usage and definition of a "work-around"

some will deny it but Chief requires many "work-arounds" to get the job done

as it will be forever

no software can be "perfect"

nor can it be all things to all users

users find "work-arounds"

they get reported to CA

then CA decides whether to implement that "work-around"

as a feature or "fix"

and the next cycle begins

Lew

Glenn:

I don't get your "irony" reference ???

I'm asking serious questions about the definition of "work-around"

but all I get in reply is "dancing"

oh well, as a systems analyst/programmer having started in 1976

and working for over a dozen major corps around the DC beltway

I am quite familiar with the usage and definition of a "work-around"

some will deny it but Chief requires many "work-arounds" to get the job done

as it will be forever

no software can be "perfect"

nor can it be all things to all users

users find "work-arounds"

they get reported to CA

then CA decides whether to implement that "work-around"

as a feature or "fix"

and the next cycle begins

Lew

That makes good sense Lew

Thanks

If I have a job that needs to get done and I arrive on a job site and don't have the proper tool, or the job is way too complex to even figure out which tool I should have brought, I'll find a way to get the job done with the tools I have. Is that a work around? Or creativity using the tools at hand?

A Chief user with a job that needs doing and a request for tools that Chief doesn't have could just say "I don't like the word work around." Or that user could get creative using the tools he does have and get the job done.

Work around? ...or Creative and imaginative? You chose the terms that makes you happy as long as it doesn't keep you from getting the job done with tools you do have.

The fact that CA doesn't have this functionality, doesn't stop me from getting the job done.

However, there are work arounds that provide this functionality.

I would like to see this thread get back on topic.

When I get a chance, I will post in suggestions. 

For me a workaround is when Chief might have a bug or non-functionality of a task and you need to find a way to make it work. It happens. I feel most people call some task workarounds when it is really just user error. Some people use the term workaround when a task just doesn't work like they want it to work, or they never learned how to use it correctly..

For me a workaround is when Chief might have a bug or non-functionality of a task and you need to find a way to make it work. It happens. I feel most people call some task workarounds when it is really just user error. Some people use the term workaround when a task just doesn't work like they want it to work, or they never learned how to use it correctly.. 

Perry,

Non-functionality of a task that I need is what  this thread is all about.

But, Jon, there is a way to do it, like I said earlier. Copy your layout to create a second layout linked to the same plan, and just add or delete page as needed. Use the second layout whenever you need just those pages.

Wait a minute here. I think the original request is a little un-reasonable. We are now thinking that Chief should be able to "read our minds" as to number pages based on how we print them, and not on how we arrange them in the layout provided?!?!

I have struggled with this post since it came up, but have waited to see if I missed something? If I arrange the pages in a specific order...any order...and then print those pages out of order...why/how would Chief know what numbers I wanted on the page?!?! I put them in the order I saw fit, but now I am going to print them in a different order and ask my software to know that without me telling it. Do any other programs provide that?

I am not trying to be flippant here either, I am sincerely struggling with this concept. Help me out here.

And Lew. A "workoround" is using CAD lines for staircases to get the look we are all after. other than that, you are simply using the tools provided.

The print dialog is set up so that you can print or reprint any pages that you want. The page numbering as Joey suggests is usually very important to keep the same.

The common use cases that I can think of are:

1) I make a change on a particular page and only need to reprint it. I still want it numbered the same not as page 1.

2) I print several pages but one of them comes out bad because of a printer malfunction.

3) The ink cartridge ran out of ink and I need to reprint from that page to the end. I really don't want it to come out renumbered starting at page 1.

There may be others.

Doug & Joey,

I don't change the order of the pages in layout template.

The trend is to put as much information as possible in the layout template. ( present elevations, detail pages etc.)

In the early stages of the design, I may want to only print some scattered pages.

Some where on my layout I want to put a macro that displays "page number of total pages printed".

Example "Page 1 of 6, 2 of 6, 3 of 6, etc.". Not 1 of 6, 2 of 6, 5 of 6, 8 of 6 , etc.".

And I want my layout page table to show the page number in sequential order as in the example above.

Later on, I want to print the complete set of plans turning on and off pages using the "include in layout Page table" check box.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Joey.

I think i would not want my sketch plans to be mixed in together with my Working Drawing / Condocs.

A full set of working drawing should be kept as a full set. A set of sketch plan should be kept separate.

different trades can have their respective pages that is relevant to them so that when communicating to them have the same page reference number.

I use diff layouts at diff stages and i save the files as diff names so i don't mess up sketch plans and finished models.

Frank

It seems to me that the original poster's request is 100% valid.  I can't think of any good reason that the Layout Page Table should show the actual page numbers.  It should probably always show the printed page numbers instead.  This was just an oversight on our part from when this feature was originally put into X6.  When we first created the Layout Page Table we hadn't fully developed the features for creating multiple template pages or the idea of having place holder pages.  With those added capabilities, the actual page numbers really don't have anything to do with the pages that are intended to be part of the printed document.

I don't think the Layout Page Table should change if you decide you want to print out a different set of pages by selecting them in the Print Range section of the Print Layout dialog.  This means that if you need to make a correction and then reprint one or more pages that the table should look the same as if you printed the whole document.

This change will be available when the 17.2 update is released some time in the near future.

In the future, I would encourage you to report issues like this directly to our tech support team.  It was pretty much random luck that I saw this post and made sure this change would happen.

Jon, of course we support any feature that works better, we were just trying to figure a way you could do it now.

My friend Perry said something that we should remember.  We always want the program to get better,  and I am as guilty as anybody in trying to figure out a way to do it NOW and ignoring what should be a feature request.

Yes Jon,  we do like your request.

And thanks to Dermot for being on top of this.