MLS FLOOR PLAN

mtldesigns

I got a request from a builder wondering of we can do MLS floor plans?  I've done many plans for this guy and we reproduced the same plan for multiple builds, now he wants to market as his competitors do.  He sent me an example of how he wants these to look (compliments of Lennar Homes).  Trying to think the best way to go about this with Chiefs layer sets.  You guys/gals do any of these and have some tips you could share?

reference.jpg

17 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You don’t even need any polylines.  You can just use the Room Fill.  

One drawback with room fills is you'll get white gaps at doors and doorways. A polyline on the back drawing group gives a better look I think.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You don’t even need any polylines.  You can just use the Room Fill.  

That is the easy way but as Levi mentions

9 hours ago, LevisL said:

One drawback with room fills is you'll get white gaps at doors and doorways. A polyline on the back drawing group gives a better look I think.

the filled poly line in a drawing group behind the hatching gives it through the openings.

7 hours ago, rgardner said:

filled poly line

I did the filled polyline.  I tried the room fill, but that's not a layer I can turn off, so as not to mess with the plan set.

My first attempt.  Not liking the white closet shelving, but maybe that will be ok.  

Whatcha guys think of my first attempt?  Maybe another stream of income, huh?

MLS SECOND FLOOR.JPG

16 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

Since you asked....   Here goes.   I do like the blue of the water fixtures on the original that chief is also capable of.

Since you did the polyline fill it would be great to break it and pull it away from the interior window sills.

Vanities and shelves could be the same fill color.

ALOD - Active Layer Display Options.

36 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

I tried the room fill, but that's not a layer I can turn off

As Levis already pointed out, there are other good reasons not to use room fills, but for this one, you just need to turn off the "Rooms" layer.

17 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Not liking the white closet shelving, but maybe that will be ok. 

BTW you can change the white in the shelving by changing the 2d part of the symbol.  Personally I like the white.  I also modified that symbol to put stretch planes on the shelf part of the symbol so that when it was stretched it doesn't distort the hangers.  You only have to place one one each wall that way and when you stretch it the hangers stay to one end.

20 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

Whatcha guys think of my first attempt?

You asked...and no offense but I think it looks pretty bad. If your client wants it to look the example you provided, then you'll probably want to make a CAD detail from your floor plan, or use a SVP so you can add filled polylines in order to exactly replicate the example, including the text font and size, and all other fills. BTW you can use the color eyedropper to match those fill colors exactly. Then, you'll have a satisfied client, and a SVP and layer set and fill and text items that you can easily reuse. 

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

I think it looks pretty bad

Guess what Rob, he agrees.  He doesn't like the fill after all.  Just the solid hatch for walls, and white (no fill) for each room.  Now that is easy.  

BTW I did make a SVP for this and layer set.  

Hi Michael, I don't do much of these but if it's a serious venture it seems it would not be that difficult to build up a library of the various fixtures including colors, hatching etc. that the client wanted then used in any future plans. There are some limitations, since I assume this will be built off an original floor plan, and saving as a new 'MLS plan' with differently filled walls and fixtures would not lend itself to future changes in both plans. Would like to see what you come up with as a solution.

On 5/8/2021 at 5:28 PM, mtldesigns said:

Here's my, hopefully helpful critique.

Don't use so many different line and text colours.  

Text should be black.  All lines black or varying degrees of grey.

Blue fills for water in tubs, sinks, etc...

When you have to use a different color to highlight cabinets or shelving then make it just a darker shade of your room color.

For example, that purple Chief line color for cabinets is horrendous.  Unfortunately its OOTB in Chief and we all get used to it and think it's great. 

Just like Chief's "Blueprint" text.  Yuck.  Nothing says noob draftsman as a dated artificially architectural script like that text style, cringe inducing if you ask me.

Reminds my of how impressed we were with 3D lettering back in the late 80's on our Commodore 64.  It's dated.

• Like 1