CHIEF 11

henrysonsona

18 hours ago, solver said:

Please check Help -- everything is explained there.

Isn't that what the forum is for? To come here and ask for help?

What's the point in being a jerk and telling someone with a question to "go check the help menu".

Theoretically couldn't we just say that to every question that gets asked? 90% of questions that even more experienced users ask could be answered by reading through the help menu.

This forum was created to ask questions and interact with other Chief users....this person asked a question, and if you have no helpful input, move on....no one wants to see your dumb remark of "go check the help menu". Not everyone is as experienced as you, and not everything comes as easy for everyone as it might for you. OP may not even really know what to search for in the help menu, maybe that's why they came here. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I will have to disagree with you about this.  The forum is for sharing new discoveries, and for seeing if the same reaction exists on other users system.  It IS NOT a replacement for something as easy as this to find in the help menu.  You really barked up the wrong tree in criticizing Solver.  He often answers the same dumb questions over and over while the rest of us just ignore those trivial items.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Time and again there are ideas and discoveries shared here that I have yet to see in the help files, and sometimes the help files are not really of very much help. One man's "new discovery" may well be another man's "trivial item". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I believe in general that the forum should be viewed as an extension to and not a substitute for the official CA reference, help and knowledge base. Posters should also be respectful to the fact that forum members volunteer their time and are also willing to share their expertise and skills, they are potentially helping you make money all for free. Given this it's not really much to ask that the poster make some effort to try and find the answer to their question in the CA  documentation first, provide some pertinent information such as the CA version they are using and some system specs and when necessary to post the problematic plan. Also, the addition of a "please" and "thankyou" would likely go a long way when soliciting for help.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, henrysonsona said:

LOOKING AT THE LAYERS MENU I SEE UNDER THE USED COLUMN A PLUS SIGN, A WRENCH, AND A S. WHAT DO THESE STAND FOR?

Hello Henry! Thank you for your question!

Here are a couple of video link's to help you understand the layers. I like the video links better than the help because I'm more visual and not so good with written instruction.

This video covers X10 layers in detail and so you will need to use help or go to the new feature video's for some of the things that are new in X11 like the wrench Icon.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/4/understanding-layers.html

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/search/?default_tab=video&q=x11

Forum Guidelines:

This forum is owned by and moderated by Chief Architect, Inc. The purpose of this forum is to allow users to post questions about and share knowledge about the Chief Architect family of software products. As such, we reserve the right to remove any posts that we feel are not appropriate for this forum.

I would like to remind everyone who posts on this forum to please keep your posts professional and on-topic. Off-topic posts should only be made on the Chatroom forum but should also be somewhat related to Chief Architect or of general interest to it's users.

Political or religious discussions are not appropriate for this forum. Neither are any posts containing "adult" humor or content.

Personal attacks or insults directed towards other posters or employees of Chief Architect are also not appropriate.

Failure to follow these guidelines may result in your posts being removed. Continued posting of inappropriate material may result in removal of an individual's posting privileges.

Please do not use this forum to try and report bugs to us. Although we have moderators that monitor this forum who occasionally will answer questions, they do not look for reports of bugs. You should always contact our Technical Support department directly if you think that you have found a bug in one of our products.

Thank you for your cooperation and support.

Asking the right question to get the right answer.

• Always post the software version.

• Put important information in your signature.

• Ask a good detailed question.

• Ask one question per thread.

• Don't hijack threads by changing the subject.

• Attach a screen shot of any error messages.

• Post information about your operating system, video card, memory, and CPU.

• Try a different plan. If it only happens in one plan post the plan.

• If you don't get an answer add more information.

19 hours ago, pitchfork5iron said:

Isn't that what the forum is for? To come here and ask for help?

What's the point in being a jerk and telling someone with a question to "go check the help menu".

Theoretically couldn't we just say that to every question that gets asked? 90% of questions that even more experienced users ask could be answered by reading through the help menu.

This forum was created to ask questions and interact with other Chief users....this person asked a question, and if you have no helpful input, move on....no one wants to see your dumb remark of "go check the help menu". Not everyone is as experienced as you, and not everything comes as easy for everyone as it might for you. OP may not even really know what to search for in the help menu, maybe that's why they came here.  

I agree with this statement but it's a little harsh because you don't know how much Eric has helped others through very difficult situations. He's here because he wants to give back like the rest of us that are here. Plus we learn a lot out of helping others. Him telling you to go to help is the way he helps you sometimes and others will answer differently. You should respect that and not slam him.

Also you should read the Forum Guidelines at the beginning of the forum

Thank you for understanding

9 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I believe in general that the forum should be viewed as an extension to and not a substitute for the official CA reference, help and knowledge base. Posters should also be respectful to the fact that forum members volunteer their time and are also willing to share their expertise and skills, they are potentially helping you make money all for free. Given this it's not really much to ask that the poster make some effort to try and find the answer to their question in the CA  documentation first, provide some pertinent information such as the CA version they are using and some system specs and when necessary to post the problematic plan. Also, the addition of a "please" and "thankyou" would likely go a long way when soliciting for help.

Well said! Go back and read the OP, all caps and worded to sound very demanding. I grin sometimes at some of the questions that are asked because it's apparent that the person made no effort whatsoever to find the answer on their own. I exhaust everything I can get my hands on, using every technique I can imagine to try and solve my problem before asking here. Even then, sometimes I just live with the problem instead of bothering other users with my issue. Not to say that I don't post questions, because I do, I just view this forum as a last resort and try not to bother people with my problems. And I always try to express thanks for the help I receive.

I'm very grateful for those who are here who help me with the things that I really need figured out. Eric is certainly one of the most willing, generous, and helpful people here.

15 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Well said! Go back and read the OP, all caps ...

I once had a coworker that had absolutely no idea that typing in all caps signified yelling. 

I had to explain to him what it had meant after he had got an email from a client asking why he was being yelled at. 

The client wanted to know if he could swing by in the morning to pick up his product. My coworker's response along the lines of, "IT WILL NOT BE READY TOMORROW. I TOLD BRIAN THAT YOU CAN PICK IT UP ON FRIDAY"

:lol:

Anyway, I guess the point of the story is that not everyone is a wordsmith, nor is every single person aware of typing etiquette. 

Edit: a word

2 hours ago, DavidJames said:

I once had a coworker that had absolutely no idea that typing in all caps signified yelling. 

I had to explain to him what it had meant after he had got an email from a client asking why he was being yelled at. 

The client wanted to know if he could swing by in the morning to pick up his product. My coworker's response along the lines of, "IT WILL NOT BE READY TOMORROW. I TOLD BRIAN THAT YOU CAN PICK IT UP ON FRIDAY"

:lol:

Anyway, I guess the point of the story is that not everyone is a wordsmith, nor does every single person is aware of typing etiquette. 

I never heard that before.

So I guess I'm yelling at my potential new clients as soon as they get my written proposal? I don't know how I have gotten any work over the last thirty years. I use caps a lot. never heard that before.

11 hours ago, builtright3 said:

Yeah it became a thing shortly after the internet was born. I think it applies more to text such as this forum where writing is a substitute for speaking to each other face to face. Contracts and other forms of writing probably don't have the same "rules," for instance I use caps almost exclusively on  construction documents, but all caps = shouting is definitely a thing among discussion forums.

13 hours ago, builtright3 said:

So I guess I'm yelling at my potential new clients as soon as they get my written proposal? I don't know how I have gotten any work over the last thirty years. I use caps a lot. never heard that before.

Just curious, why do use caps?

Let's get real, this forum is here to help insure CA Support is not overwhelmed with inquiries.  What is should not be is a place for folks to strut their stuff, raise the hair on their backs, and try to prove they are the toughest dog on the block. This old SNL gag is so true; https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/nick-burns-your-companys-computer-guy/n11524

5 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Yeah it became a thing shortly after the internet was born. I think it applies more to text such as this forum where writing is a substitute for speaking to each other face to face. Contracts and other forms of writing probably don't have the same "rules," for instance I use caps almost exclusively on  construction documents, but all caps = shouting is definitely a thing among discussion forums.

That makes sense the way you explained it. 

3 hours ago, ClarkeThrasher said:

Let's get real, this forum is here to help insure CA Support is not overwhelmed with inquiries.  What is should not be is a place for folks to strut their stuff, raise the hair on their backs, and try to prove they are the toughest dog on the block. This old SNL gag is so true; https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/nick-burns-your-companys-computer-guy/n11524

That's hilarious!

But I try not to pass judgement on this forum and don't relate that video to it. Their are a lot of good people here that just like to help. I would like to show off if I could but I don't know enough, lol:)

22 hours ago, builtright3 said:

I think we chased off Henry and Pitchfork!

I really do believe that someone should delete this whole thread. Its just taking up space. Just a thought

No, I'm still here.

Chief is my Monday through Friday gig, I tend to leave it alone on the weekends. I'll agree that my post was a little aggressive. 

It's just frustrating to see him comment with something so condescending. As stated before, one person's "trivial" problem may be the next person's monumental problem. If you don't want to answer it, that's fine. No one is obligated to answer anything. Ignore the post and move on.  What good is a forum if you can't come here and ask questions that you don't know the answer to. In my humble opinion, telling someone to "Go check the help menu--everything is in there", is quite rude.

Anyway, I digress. I think this forum is great, and I've learned a ton from it. Thank you to anyone who gives positive, meaningful feedback on questions...as I have learned more from you than you probably care to know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:31 PM, builtright3 said:

I think we chased off Henry and Pitchfork!

I really do believe that someone should delete this whole thread. Its just taking up space. Just a thought

Yes, it is always a good thing to chase off members!  A simple question degraded into insults and humiliation. Keep up the good work.  You do know that 'Joe Cool' aka Snoopy was a complete failure at being 'cool', just like you...

1 hour ago, NCC-1701 said:

Yes, it is always a good thing to chase off members!  A simple question degraded into insults and humiliation. Keep up the good work.  You do know that 'Joe Cool' aka Snoopy was a complete failure at being 'cool', just like you...

The reason I said that is because I felt bad from all the comments. I hate to see people give up on such a great forum. It sounds like you just insulted me, that was un cool!!!