When To Switch To New Version

KilianDrafting

When a new CA version comes out, how long before you exclusively use that new version for con docs? I am always hesitant to use it right away - just in case I run into a bug or some other problem with new features that alter how I typically do things.  You can't just go back to x10 to finish up an x11 drawing when a software problem arises, correct?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Evolution said:

So, if you down load the beta from your DL, you need to go ahead and migrate your plan templates created in X10 and all user libraries etc.? Any particular cautions anyone has encountered migrating files over?

Thanks!

Bob,

That should all migrate automatically.

37 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

My experience is that X11 is more stable and smooth than X10 ever was. In fact, I've gone ahead and deleted X10 off of my main system with no regrets.

I deleted as well, cept for now I have no reference when I think I've found a bug

nope, you can keep them all

David Potter has then all - all the way back

he also has all the Home Design products all the back

he offers training services and plan help and is situated to just that for "everyone"

my partner used to offer training and plan fixes and we finally settled on keeping current version

and the two prior versions

what you keep is up to you

Lew

20 hours ago, KilianDrafting said:

When a new CA version comes out, how long before you exclusively use that new version for con docs? I am always hesitant to use it right away - just in case I run into a bug or some other problem with new features that alter how I typically do things.  You can't just go back to x10 to finish up an x11 drawing when a software problem arises, correct?

Rich, I generally wait until the final release comes out hoping that most of the bugs are found and fixed. However, starting last Saturday, I've already brought two of my ongoing working plans forward from X10 to X11 and everything seems to be going fine. With that said, I'm now using X11 for all plans.

11 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason to delete previous versions other than good housekeeping?  I've kept all my previous versions and could pull them up and use them, if there was ever a need to.

I keep X4 around because I have a client who still uses that version, but I don't use it for anything else.  I have X9 insalled currently as another client has that version, but once we are finished his design I will likely do all the condocs in X11, and remove X9.  X10 will be gone soon too.  I'm trying to ge the builder who uses X4 to buy the latest version of HD Pro, so I can axe that install as well.  Going forward, anyone using an older version of Chief will need to pay a premium for me to go back.  It just isn't worth my time or the space on my hard drive.

I delete all past versions except the previous version but I keep the data folder for each version with all previous jobs on the 4tb backup drive. I still keep and have all jobs I have ever drawn since computers for personal use were invented.

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I delete all past versions except the previous version but I keep the data folder for each version with all previous jobs on the 4tb backup drive. I still keep and have all jobs I have ever drawn since computers for personal use were invented. 

We not only have all of our hard drive data, but even paper files back to the 70's (Engineering firm).  I also have boxes of 3.5" floppys from construction and inspection projects and boxes of ZIP drives.  I suppose one day I'll need to clear a bunch out, but there hasn't been a pressing need for space and I do have functional readers for all the data (which is getting really difficult).

I DIDN'T KEEP ALL MY HAND DRAWN STUFF B/C MOST OF MY CLIENTS WERE CONTRACTORS and they wanted the vellums.   I've drawn over  4000 jobs and that was many years ago. Can't draw at that place anymore, to much info now and what used to be a 3 page set is now 20 pages min.

It looks like the general consensus here is that X11 is a great upgrade and no reason to wait for the final release to come out?

Do we know when the final version is supposed to be released?

If I do download the beta version can I assume the following:

-The download -install- library migration process will be as it always has with previous final release upgrades?

-There will be an update from the beta version with the final release?

-All projects started in the beta version will transfer into the final version.

Just want to make sure I understand the process- have not installed a beta version before.:blink:

1 hour ago, RL-inc said:

It looks like the general consensus here is that X11 is a great upgrade and no reason to wait for the final release to come out?

Do we know when the final version is supposed to be released?

If I do download the beta version can I assume the following:

-The download -install- library migration process will be as it always has with previous final release upgrades?

-There will be an update from the beta version with the final release?

-All projects started in the beta version will transfer into the final version.

Just want to make sure I understand the process- have not installed a beta version before.:blink:

Yes

1 month after P.Beta approx. usually

yes

yes

yes

It will install side by side with X10 so don't worry.... it's not an overwrite type upgrade.....

:)