Joe_Carrick

Dropbox

Recommended Posts

I have all my Chief Projects in a Dropbox Folder.  This works well for me as I have 3 different computers that I use and I'm always working on the latest version of a Plan and/or Layout.

 

I'm considering placing the Chief Data Folder (Library, Templates, Scripts, Toolbars, Hotkeys, etc) in Dropbox as well. 

 

Has anyone else done this?  Other than having to change the location in Preferences would there be any problem? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following this closely. I also use Dropbox for Chief. All my active plan/layout files, as well as my template plan and layout template are kept there. Would love to everything synced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I'm considering placing the Chief Data Folder....

Wasn't there a thread just recently that had a comment(s) about the Chief Data Folder needing to be located on the boot drive CA is installed on? I don't remember for sure.

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the Data folder in Dropbox for years without a problem. (At least that I know of.)  It's nice to be able to update the User Library and any Hotkey changes, etc. to all computers at the same time. Dropbox is fast enough that it can sync a large User Library very quickly; I believe some of the other services like Drive, etc. take significantly longer.

 

Mike, the Data Folder is just the user modified data. The core, bonus, and manufacturer libraries are still on the main hard drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Richard.  I'm going to do this immediately.  It will make my life a lot easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys should keep in mind that Dropbox simply sync's the files to your local drive.  In the background it is just creating a copy on their server, which then allows other computers to sync with the updated files.  Its basically an expanded version of Microsoft's old "briefcase".
 

So you aren't working "on" Dropbox and so its just a set of local files like anything else....so it should work perfectly fine.  There are some settings where you can change this, but I bet 99% of people who use dropbox keep the settings default.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that syncing is not the same as backing up your data.  If you accidentally delete a file, it will be gone from ALL your devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Johnny,

 

I put the Dropbox Folder on my D: drives where I have a lot more space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, javatom said:

If you accidentally delete a file

Don't do that ;)

But note that it will still be in Trash and you can restore it. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, javatom said:

Keep in mind that syncing is not the same as backing up your data.  If you accidentally delete a file, it will be gone from ALL your devices.

 

This is a great point and has been discussed before.  So Let's talk about it again.  

 

If you delete it from computer #1,  it is deleted from all computers...  correct?

 

Okay, if I delete it from computer #1 on Monday,  it is gone from all computers....  but...  but  ...  but....  on Tuesday I realize I deleted a file that is now gone from drop  box and all computers...  so how do I get it back?  If I have paid a little extra for something that DROPBOX offers which I believe is called PACK RAT,  can't I contact DROP BOX and restore files that were on the drop box on the previous Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't use Dropbox for Chief but I have it, and don't really use another computer other than my desktop. I do have Carbonite for backups, and can go back 30 days to retrieve any file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had just asked this same question in another thread. However, I was wondering if it would work the same as Carbonite.  It too is an instant backup to their server and not making a copy to your PC drive somewhere. it also keeps several ( I think up to ten) system mirror images.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use, and love, DropBox and also have Carbonite that backs up my DropBox folder. I have 3 computers but only use 2 regularly. Every time I open my Lap Top Drop Box loads all the changed files onto the Lap Top and I have what is essentially another back up file. If I delete a file Carbonite will save it as Perry said for later retrieval.

 

There was ONE time I used Carbonite to retrieve a corrupted file and it saved me HOURS of re-doing a Chief plan/layout file. So I don't care how much it costs, that one time made Carbonite totally worth it. And for $50 - $60 a year? Incredibly cheap insurance.

 

Anyone else use both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dropbox keeps an archive of all files for even the Free version for 30 days. If you upgrade to a Business account, as I understand it, it will keep a history of unlimited number of files for an unlimited amount of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Dropbox keeps an archive of all files for even the Free version for 30 days. If you upgrade to a Business account, as I understand it, it will keep a history of unlimited number of files for an unlimited amount of time.

Did not know that. Perhaps making Carbonite redundant? I'll check in to it. Carbonite is a deal and like I posted saved my bacon one time.

 

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/296#event

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I can tell you is that Dropbox is really, really fast. I recall that Carbonite used to take DAYS to back up a hard drive, and afterwards it is faster. I don't know anything about the technology, but at this point, I can tell you that although the initial sync might have taken a minute or two, my 1.4 GB User Library now completes syncing in a few seconds, if I make a change.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dshall said:

 

This is a great point and has been discussed before.  So Let's talk about it again.  

 

If you delete it from computer #1,  it is deleted from all computers...  correct?

 

Okay, if I delete it from computer #1 on Monday,  it is gone from all computers....  but...  but  ...  but....  on Tuesday I realize I deleted a file that is now gone from drop  box and all computers...  so how do I get it back?  If I have paid a little extra for something that DROPBOX offers which I believe is called PACK RAT,  can't I contact DROP BOX and restore files that were on the drop box on the previous Saturday.

 

What I have done is that I have Dropbox, but I also have OneDrive that is apart of my MS Office subscription.  So before I leave ( I try to everyday, but typically Mon/Wed/Fri)....I just copy everything in my Dropbox and copy it over the One-drive.  I didn't like using One-drive so that is why I went to Dropbox, so I figured, since I had the space on One-drive, use it as a backup.  That way if I accidentally delete a file on Dropbox, I can retrieve something from One-drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

What I can tell you is that Dropbox is really, really fast. I recall that Carbonite used to take DAYS to back up a hard drive, and afterwards it is faster. I don't know anything about the technology, but at this point, I can tell you that although the initial sync might have taken a minute or two, my 1.4 GB User Library now completes syncing in a few seconds, if I make a change.  

I personally use DB and Carbonite. I've used Carbonite for years so I don't even notice any time it might take to back up a new file and can't find a reason not to have some extra insurance. I'm not sure I have my User Library in my Drop Box folder. I'm going to check that out and see how to get that done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

I have all my Chief Projects in a Dropbox Folder.  This works well for me as I have 3 different computers that I use and I'm always working on the latest version of a Plan and/or Layout.

 

I'm considering placing the Chief Data Folder (Library, Templates, Scripts, Toolbars, Hotkeys, etc) in Dropbox as well. 

 

Has anyone else done this?  Other than having to change the location in Preferences would there be any problem? 

We happen to use Sugar sync for our projects, it works well and updates automatically.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I read somewhere that CA should not be used on a server or connected over a network. Maybe I'm mistaken or meant not to load the actual program there . However, would using , placing the data file folder, user library  (not the program) into Dropbox, any other "online" service or a NAS drive be verging on that?  Would be intrested to hear if Dan had any input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

I think I read somewhere that CA should not be used on a server or connected over a network. Maybe I'm mistaken or meant not to load the actual program there . However, would using , placing the data file folder, user library  (not the program) into Dropbox, any other "online" service or a NAS drive be verging on that?  Would be intrested to hear if Dan had any input.

 

I seem to remember that also. Not sure if they fixed it or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RobUSMC said:

I think I read somewhere that CA should not be used on a server or connected over a network. Maybe I'm mistaken or meant not to load the actual program there . However, would using , placing the data file folder, user library  (not the program) into Dropbox, any other "online" service or a NAS drive be verging on that?  Would be intrested to hear if Dan had any input.

Yes, they did say this. But as Johnny mentioned above, Dropbox isn't providing data off of a server or network for DIRECT use in your system, All of the data that Chief uses is coming off of your local hard drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27478
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    Oilersfan20
    Newest Member
    Oilersfan20
    Joined