Trying to recreate a furniture style vanity

Mackenzie

Hello, I've been struggling to recreate this vanity and have solved most of my issues but am stuck on the lower portion. My biggest issue is recreating the open back and side brass supports for the bottom of the vanity. I tried removing the toe kick then splitting the bottom open portion horizontally but then I run into issue with opening the sides and back as well as getting the brass finish applied without too much of the vanity also converting to brass.

Here is a photo of where I'm at along with what I'm trying to match. thank you for your time helping me learn this.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 12.25.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 12.25.09 PM.png

Those legs and struts look like about 1" square in profile.  

Try creating a 1 x 1 post saved to your user library as millwork and then selecting it as legs for your base cabinet.  Set the toekick height at something like 16".

Then use slabs and solids to do the strut surround at the base, and up under the cab.  The slab is your bottom shelf.

Doing the button feet below the metal frame legs and struts takes more creativity.  Make another post leg as a solid, do it at 1 x 1 and make it 15 1/2" tall.  Make a 1/2" dia. round button 1/2" tall solid placed centered under the square leg, tight to its bottom, then join the two as one solid.  Convert to a symbol and add a stretch plane maybe 8" up from bottom.

Now use your symbol as your cabinet legs.  The attached pic shows a start.  To add the strut array near the floor, and under the cabinet, use solids or slabs.  Make the shelf using a slab.

If your legs and struts don't seem to look right, adjust size up or down.  For the legs, you'll need to start over, since you cannot edit the symbol's profile.

That thick cast top with the integral sinks will be a challenge.  You might try modifying an undermount sink symbol's bounding box so it places the sink with its top surface (the surround flange) co-planar with the countertop, and then make the material for the two, c'top and sink, the same.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 131159.png

• Upvote 1

I would just create the bottom frame and shelf using other tools, such as poly solids or maybe even soffits/shelves, and then either block them or convert them into a symbol.  Then I would just have the vanity cabinet sit on top of it,

35 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Assuming that is one cabinet with custom door panels for the sides?  Was thinking the faster way would have been two stacked cabinets.

pretty dang close. Can you put two sinks in a single cabinet?

That frame along the floor is pretty but not practical.  Your toes will be banging into it every time you use the sink, and it'll be a nightmare to clean under there.  Not a vanity I would want.   That's not answering the question, but just my two cents.

Yes doing as a single cabinet is a bear but possible. IF I really needed this I would more likely do the bottom frame as one part and the top as another since that would be how I was ordering it. And you can put two sinks in if you float them.

image.thumb.png.02f7383b7fa94ac264b7474f4c803524.png

Plan with parts attached.

This may or may not need sinks made from the same material as the counter. When needed I do that as a separate symbol made from solids.

image.thumb.png.937ad208b0a94c3058675948a4cffdec.pngimage.thumb.png.639573b28bd86ef3694644434544934e.png

Vanity on frame.zip

Another approach is to make the metal frame as a symbol, perhaps from solids as Gene suggests, mess with the origins and lock the size. Then insert it into the bottom center drawer. That allows easier changes to the cabinet which likely also require  adjusting the frame symbol. 

image.thumb.png.87ef47ab83e1e7af447d4e4b2c10e915.png

Depending on ones purposes there are multiple ways to skin this cat; I used 6 cabinets to model it in just about 5 minutes (not bragging). 2 cabinets for the sinks, 3 cabinets for the...cabinets and 1 for the base. I did use a saved vanity which already had the right type of sink.

image.thumb.png.2c19caf749e367cda738214ebb289de6.png

9 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Depending on ones purposes there are multiple ways to skin this cat; I used 6 cabinets to model it in just about 5 minutes (not bragging). 2 cabinets for the sinks, 3 cabinets for the...cabinets and 1 for the base. I did use a saved vanity which already had the right type of sink.

image.thumb.png.2c19caf749e367cda738214ebb289de6.png

I could do it in one cabinet if teatime or Ryan would share the trick to get 2 sinks in one cabinet

26 minutes ago, TeaTime said:

MAGIC!!!

image.png.cfa28cf54bd8efcc590889177a34c799.png

:]

You can't..that's how, was wondering why you chose to clip the screen. An Arch Block is not two sinks in one cab.
BTW
You can do this with a single cabinet and it only requires 1 custom door 
image.thumb.png.f63c25369e8c31844b6c5f17e29af526.png

37 minutes ago, solver said:

3 sinks in 1 cabinet. I know you know how to do this, so you must be asking about something different.

435842995_ct1.thumb.PNG.6ce2ae999a5d37f5237f9b0f20933cee.PNG

I do not. To my knowledge a single cabinet cannot have two top/appliance fixtures...I know how to place two freestanding sink fixtures in the same model space as a cabinet and have them appear to be owned by that cabinet, or I know how to block a set of cabinets that both own a sink and thus appear in the preview window of a dbx when an arch block is opened, but I do not know how to open a cabinet and find that there are two sinks in the cabinet dbx.

15 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

You can't..that's how, was wondering why you chose to clip the screen. An Arch Block is not two sinks in one cab.

Oh come now! I'm many things but a con-man I am not!

12 hours ago, rgardner said:

2 sinks made into a single sink symbol.

Bingo - a technicality, perhaps, but it works.

Seems like a lot of silliness to me.  If you want more than one sink, just place them free floating in the plan and drag them on top of the cabinet.  Done.

*eyes rolling back into the top of my head so far I think they might be stuck now*

29 minutes ago, DBCooper said:

Seems like a lot of silliness to me.  If you want more than one sink, just place them free floating in the plan and drag them on top of the cabinet.  Done.

*eyes rolling back into the top of my head so far I think they might be stuck now*

Haven't used this in a couple of years so may be fixed now as I dont often do it but I believe that way had an issue with custom countertops or maybe it was standard countertops.