Orthographic Overviews

Joe_Carrick

Go to solution Solved by rlackore,

Does anyone use these tools?  

I only use the Perspective Overviews.  I don't like the Orthographic Overviews because they look distorted.  Consequently, I wouldn't mind if they were eliminated from the Toolbar - maybe even eliminated entirely.

I can see a possible use for the Orthogaphic Top Overview as a Presentation Tool for Real Estate Brochures.  But even there I prefer the Perspectives.

Comments?

• Upvote 1

I seldom think about it, commonly I just want to see, verify changes I made in plan view or an elevation view. It does not matter which camera used for that purpose. Such considerations are purely individual and not otherwise. Getting your work done is more important than how it is accomplished.

DJP

For everyday designing, I only use orthographic and not perspective.  However, orthographic does not have 'Clay' or 'PBRT' rendering options while perspective does have those rendering options available.  So I need the perspectives for straight down floor plan views to use those rendering styles.  If the orthographic cameras added those rendering styles, then I would not need the perspectives....in fact I would prefer the orthographic views so the walls are straight vs tilted.

Let me know if I'm missing a way to use those rendering styles in orthographic cameras and I'll concede. Until then, I need/use the perspective cameras.

• Like 1

I use them also.

You could say that the perspective views are distorted... to look correct from one point of view. But we don't draw what we see, we draw a scaled structure so that it can be built. Perpectives only help us understand the structure from our limited point of view. Perspectives translate the actual to our understanding. 

Reminds me of an interesting book from highschool geometry, discussing that a line looks like a point (or two) if you are at a point in that line. A polyline looks like a line, etc. 

3 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

The steel stairs structure, was that all done in solids?  And are those stringers single-plate 1/4" steel or are they something like 8 x 2 x .188 tubing?

The stringers are 1/2" plate; modeled them with Polyline Solids in X9 I believe.

8 minutes ago, glennw said:

You can achieve vertical wall corners in a perspective full overview by setting the camera's Tilt Angle to zero.

Thanks Glenn...I'm trying to get rid of the tilt from a 'top view'.  I would love for it to look like the ortho top view with straight down walls.  This tilt works fine for a smaller house, but on a big house, these wall angles don't work well. Sample of what I currently get attached. Suggestions?

chief top view.jpg

Hi Ben,

Since the Orthographic Views are just 2D CAD they are not accessible to PB.  Consequently you are never going to be able to get those rendering techniques for the Orthographic Views.  

By definition the Perspective Views are "Perspectives" so the walls will never be vertical in the "Top View".

1 hour ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Since the Orthographic Views are just 2D CAD they are not accessible to PB.  Consequently you are never going to be able to get those rendering techniques for the Orthographic Views.  

By definition the Perspective Views are "Perspectives" so the walls will never be vertical in the "Top View".

Hence the need for the perspective overview camera :) (to go back to the OP)

• 2 weeks later...