Dividing a line equally into 4 parts

cjanderson66

Go to solution Solved by KenL-sdd,

You have to be kidding me....  10 years later I learn this?  Hey,  thank Ken,  nice job,  I will give you a point,  I would give you 20 points  if I could.

Scott this does not even begin to repay all you have taught me.

Edit. To all chief users whom have answered questions this does not even begin to repay all you have taught me.

Ok, since I am the OP I am going to clarify that the answer to this original question is not just dividing a line into 4 equal parts its dividing into any equal parts.  Multiple Copy is the only way this can be done properly.  Joe is correct it does not work breaking a line because you can only do it in equal numbers.  Thanks for all the comments all are good but just know that there are other out there that benefit from this as much as I do is a great.

Ok, since I am the OP I am going to clarify that the answer to this original question is not just dividing a line into 4 equal parts its dividing into any equal parts.  Multiple Copy is the only way this can be done properly...

That is definitely not true.  As mentioned above you can use either of the Align/Distribute tools and they would actually be a lot faster and easier in a lot of situations. 

Here's a quick video.  By no means does it cover all  the various methods and options but hopefully its enough to give you an idea of some of the other possibilities.  This was done with simple line work, but variations of the same methods can be used for lighting layout, post layout, timber layout, the list could go on.  I know a lot of you are probably familiar with these methods but a few of the comments here have led me to believe a number of others might not be.  Hopefully this helps...

• Upvote 4

I bow to thee Alaskan_Son, you made your point very well, almost to well that maybe you should be working at Chief.  Nice tutorial.  YOU DA BOMB.  I will be using some of those techniques.

Here is the final rendition of what I was trying to achieve when I asked the question of how to divide an area equally.

Thanks again,

post-64-0-21862400-1458187233_thumb.jpg

Here's a quick video.  By no means does it cover all  the various methods and options but hopefully its enough to give you an idea of some of the other possibilities.  This was done with simple line work, but variations of the same methods can be used for lighting layout, post layout, timber layout, the list could go on.  I know a lot of you are probably familiar with these methods but a few of the comments here have led me to believe a number of others might not be.  Hopefully this helps...

good vid Michael.  I do not use point markers enough,  I will soon start.  

I think you are using the point markers as "construction lines",  wouldn't  it be great if we could get rid of all  point markers with a hot key?  

good vid Michael. I do not use point markers enough, I will soon start.

I think you are using the point markers as "construction lines", wouldn't it be great if we could get rid of all point markers with a hot key?

Yes it would. I've said it before, but we can also very easily use a custom line style, double click the point marker tool to change the layer, and/or Current CAD Layer to place construction lines or points on a unique layer for very quick and easy deletion. Not exactly a hotkey, but pretty stinkin' fast. And yes...I was using points like "construction lines" but the same general method would work equally well with lines.

CJ:

Not sure what the ceiling looks like behind the camera, but why not do a drop ceiling to the left of the fireplace and even up the rest of the ceiling so all sections match?  I am assuming the rest of the ceiling would be a square or rectangle if you followed my suggestion.  Just a thought.

Michael:

Great video ... you're becoming a true master of Chief and we all get to benefit.  Thanks.

...I think you are using the point markers as "construction lines",  wouldn't  it be great if we could get rid of all  point markers with a hot key?  

Since you're so fond of anno sets, here's something that might work for you...

Create a Construction Lines anno set.  Set it to Use Active Layer Set and give line and point markers unique colors and layer settings (or any other settings for that matter).  Alternatively, if you're just using lines, you could simply use Current CAD layer to switch to a unique "Construction Lines" layer.

When you're done using the "Construction Lines", "Construction Points", etc. select one of them and then hit...

-Control+J (opens up Match Properties DBX)

-Tab (moves to selection pane)

-Space (checks Layer)

-Enter (closes DBX)

-Delete (deletes all your temporary lines)

I know its not a single hotkey, but until we get your request, its a pretty fast alternative. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

WOW when I use VCAD I draw a line across the room and goo to "divide" and put in the number of segmaents. Of course this was in the 1984 version. It takes a while for Chief to mature. (wisea** Ron)

Thought I had seen it all....! Had to space some blocked columns (so there was nothing to snap to) today at an angled porch.. Spent 30 minutes on it and still don't have them exactly where I want.

One simple divide tool to divide ANYTHING (including a distance defined by clicking 2 points - in which case it should place points) into any number of segments. There is a reason 99.9% of CAD apps do it this way.. 

Thought I had seen it all....! Had to space some blocked columns (so there was nothing to snap to) today at an angled porch.. Spent 30 minutes on it and still don't have them exactly where I want.

One simple divide tool to divide ANYTHING (including a distance defined by clicking 2 points - in which case it should place points) into any number of segments. There is a reason 99.9% of CAD apps do it this way..

Can you post that plan with a description of what you're trying to do? I'm relatively certain there's a 10 second method you're probably overlooking.

Michael,

Blocked column so only center can be used to place..

Needed to align top of tapered edge with frame which cannot be snapped..

Drew dashed line to locate where center of column would need to be to achieve such alignment..

Then used evenly distribute copy...

took 30 seconds.. so now I "gain" 29 mins and 30 seconds every time I do this... :P

The thing to keep in mind in chief is due to the frequent lack of snapping availability you must use guides of some sort.

Thanks for offering.. you are a big asset to Chieftalk..

post-978-0-63734800-1465386605_thumb.png

Blocked column so only center can be used to place.

Rashid,

Not sure if this will help in your case, but...

You are not limited to placing and snapping a block by it's centre point (Insertion Point).

This method only relates to Cad Blocks - not Architectural blocks.

But keep in mind that a Cad Block can contain 3D objects like slabs, posts, framing, etc..

You can place the Insertion point anywhere in the block you like - it can even be outside the block - Chief defaults to the centre of block.

Place a Point Marker wherever you want the insertion point to be - you can use snapping or other methods to place the Point Marker in relation to the objects that make up the block. 

Select the block.

On the Edit Toolbar, next to the Explode CAD Block tool, there is a tool called Select Insertion Point - select it.

Snap on the Point Marker you placed earlier.

This will now be your new Insertion Point for the block and any copies you make.

Hmm.. This would be very helpful.

The column I made with molding Polys.. no option to make a CAD block out of them. Perhaps the Column should have been built differently?

file attached.. Thanks.

EDIT: Glenn I see your note about CAD blocks only... Thanks again.

Thanks for the tip Mark..

Play.plan

Ya, I can see the added difficulty created by having to align the tapered column using a part that has no snaps. I had to leave the office and head to the job so I don't have time right now, but I'll try to make a quick video later. In the meantime...

You are correct that a guide of some sort is basically necessary. Technically all you really need is to know the distance between the center of your column and the top outside edge of that taper and you can simply offset by hitting tab while dragging but I would personally probably use a guide as well. You could also use point to point move in a couple elevation views but that would also require stealing some snap points from a CAD Detail From View. Here is the method I would probably recommend that should work for even a complicated layout with a lot of jogs and offsets:

1. Figure out your offset dimension (4" in your case if I remember correctly).

2. Create a room polyline using your balcony/deck/porch/exterior room.

3. Hold down C and resize the polyline using one of the corner edit handles. Resize to make

It smaller by the size of your offset.

4. Select your column and use Multiple Copy to drag out however many columns you want for any particular edge.

5. Group select your columns and Make Parallel/Perpendicular to the desired edge of the polyline you previously created.

6. Click Align/Distribute Along Line. Click the desired polyline edge and align centers and distribute centers to end points.

NOTE: You could also manually place the corner posts, place copies between them and simply use the normal Align/Distribute tool.

The whole thing should be pretty stinkin' quick. It could be even easier if it weren't for the offset issue you have to contend with. There are other methods as well, but I think that one might be the easiest and most flexible.