How Distinguish Existing Conditions From New Work In A Renovation?

TomBrooklyn

ummm, however, even if on different layers

walls can't occupy the same space

Lew

Why would you ever want to do that - you can't build 2 walls in the same place!

I show new and remaining walls with different wall types, but I would never show a demolished wall as a wall type.

I would always indicate a demolished wall with 2 broken lines - it's not a wall, so don't draw one!

They can if you make one as "No room def"          

Perry:

interesting, when did that change come about ???

I haven't tried since ver 9.5 or ver 10 as Chief didn't like it at all

even recently I have seen the recommendation to create a cad block overlay

to show the old walls

Glenn:

It is a wall and will be a wall until it is demoed

it would be nice if we could use layers to control old versus new

but my last understanding was that this was not possible

it would be nice to be able to see various alternatives all in the same plan

by using layer control

I understand that Softplan has had this feature for many versions now

but no idea if it "works"

Lew

• Upvote 1

I Use a background mask, there are videos on this in Chief's videos.  then when you remove a wall the mask under it will show up as a removed wall. I do that and have been for many years, I can't think of any better way to do it.   It also creates a very clean model.

I Use a background mask, there are videos on this in Chief's videos.  then when you remove a wall the mask under it will show up as a removed wall. I do that and have been for many years, I can't think of any better way to do it.   It also creates a very clean model.

You know P.,, I haven't done it yet,  using the "transparent fill" might be another way of "masking" the existing area that is not to be altered.  

• 11 months later...

I like the mask idea.  But, how do you get toilets, tubs and other cad blocks that were brought into the the existing plan to have dashed lines?  Walls are no problem.  They don't seam to want to change at all if they remain a cad block.  If I try to explode them, there are a lot of extra lines that show up.  I don't want to have to always go and erase all of these extra lines. 

You should probably start a new thread but if you click on the "cad from View" button then change the lines you need to into dashed lines, maybe block what you have and copy that to the plan view and paste with "hold position" that will do the trick.

Andy.