neo2222

Shipping Container house

I am trying to draw a shipping container house where there are 2 containers on top of 1 container and pilings.  Really having a difficult time.  

Im trying to put layer one as the base container,  layer 2 has 2 containers.  I tried putting layer one with the main house of 2 containers,..  then build foundation of pilings,  ...then tried to add the foundation container,  where one side of each main house container sits on top of the foundation container..  From the end,  it looks like a T.

Has any one actually been able to draw a shipping container house?  I tried using the CA models,  but you dont have workable walls.  

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, neo2222 said:

Has any one actually been able to draw a shipping container house?  I tried using the CA models,  but you dont have workable walls.

In order to get workable walls you'll have to very carefully model the shipping containers using very custom wall types, room definitions, etc. You can also model your shipping containers without the parametric tools by just using solids, or you could do a combination of methods.  You won't simply be able to use a shipping container symbol though and you won't be able to use your normal everyday modeling techniques.  It's entirely doable but pretty difficult if you're not very proficient with the software.  It's just not something Chief was specifically designed to do.

• Like 1

Define your walls based on container wall corrugation thickness, insulation and finish material.

Find images of Shipping Containers and convert to material and apply to your walls.

CONTAINER IMAGE.PNG

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kenoeightspot said:

Define your walls based on container wall corrugation thickness, insulation and finish material.

Find images of Shipping Containers and convert to material and apply to your walls.

CONTAINER IMAGE.PNG

Thanks,  thats what I figured,..It takes a little to figure out the height, and stacking, and any supports needed...   I was jut hoping CA had something premade. 

CA does have shipping containers but you can not add doors or windows unless you paste and image of a window on the symbol.

I also attached a prelim. project I did in Kansas.

CA CONTAINERS.PNG

OVERVIEW LOOKING SW.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pawlakk said:

I heartily recommend container houses, it is really a great thing !

Yes highly recommended unless you need to pass the structure through a city's engineering department because as soon as you cut a hole in any wall that wall becomes structurally compromised and another, separate, super structure needs to replace that compromised structure. In a back yard with no inspections? Golden. In a regulated city environment? A real challenge.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Yes highly recommended unless you need to pass the structure through a city's engineering department because as soon as you cut a hole in any wall that wall becomes structurally compromised and another, separate, super structure needs to replace that compromised structure. In a back yard with no inspections? Golden. In a regulated city environment? A real challenge.

looks nice,  but the company is in Poland