WHY CAN'T I DO THIS EASILY

raltd9245

Bradley:

that is the story I heard about the advent of roofs 

maybe someone else remembers ?

it still amazes me about all the work arounds needed to do a chimney - even a basic one

Chimneys are "standard" with houses and yet there is no tool to create them after all these releases

simply amazing

Lew

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Bradley:

that is the story I heard about the advent of roofs I'm confused Lew, Chief had roofs in V5. Maybe V1-4 didn't have the roof plane tool. I can't remember what version added roof  framing.

maybe someone else remembers ?

it still amazes me about all the work arounds needed to do a chimney - even a basic one In most new home designs, we either used framed chimneys with metal flue liners or Dog Boxes (no chimney) for gas fireplaces. I have drawn masonry ones and used 4" brick on 4" block with an implied flu liner or simulated modular flue block with a masonry wall. Open to below at each floor level. 

Chimneys are "standard" with houses and yet there is no tool to create them after all these releases

simply amazing-Detailing a true masonry chimney with smoke shelf etc is a bit of a challenge for sure. And stepping the taper is a pain but doable. Not sure what Chief would give us since chimneys are so variable in size and design.

Lew

54 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

Why would a special tool be needed?

I still don’t understand what is different for a chimney than a standard wall.  A chimney is made of 4 walls of varying materials depending on construction type to a certain ceiling or top height and have a type of foundation below them.  I don’t see the difference from a regular room for all simplification purposes.  In the end it is just a 4 walled rectangular room with a really tall ceiling.  Yes there would be things needed to be added to the room for smoke tables, flues, etc.  kind of like changing your drywall to fire rock, or sound rock, or backer board, or....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Detailing a true masonry chimney with smoke shelf etc is a bit of a challenge for sure. And stepping the taper is a pain but doable. Not sure what Chief would give us since chimneys are so variable in size and design.

Ryan, I think Brad says most of it in this statement. True masonry chimneys, especially for as-builts and much older houses, require a lot of work as they aren't walls but objects. I have done them using the tools CA gives us (slabs, solids, polyline solids, moldings, etc.). Fancy brickwork adds to the pain. CA had a masonry chimney symbol in the library very early on (not sure how early, but I started with Chief 97 and 3D Home before that). It was very limited in use and couldn't be modified very easily; more for looks really and a plan symbol. I agree that there are too many variables for CA to give us period fireplaces. How would they know what is wanted/needed for "your" fireplace and chimney?

• Upvote 1

Not sure what Chief would give us since chimneys are so variable in size and design

There are many standard types for chimneys

I would expect a chimney tool could to 80% or better of most chimneys

I doubt if there are many tools in Chief that can do 100%

there are always special situations

but there are standards also

Lew

• Downvote 2

15 hours ago, lbuttery said:

Why would a special tool be needed?

Joe:

and what about remodels of older homes ?

drive down the road and see how many homes have chimneys

maybe not in CA but here on the East Coast they are everywhere

Lew

They are also everywhere here in Calif. I have one in just about every job I draw in remodeling.  These days the codes won't let us extend them up anymore, the engineers won't calc. it out , so we have to tear them out and rebuild using a no chimney gas only fireplace in a stucco enclosure.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

They are also everywhere here in Calif. I have one in just about every job I draw in remodeling.  These days the codes won't let us extend them up anymore, the engineers won't calc. it out , so we have to tear them out and rebuild using a no chimney gas only fireplace in a stucco enclosure.

Sounds like clean California doesn't want you to burn wood. 

For sure they're afraid of seismic liabilty.