short walls and drywall

Hammer7

I ended up solving this issue by creating a soffit and then manipulating the size and placement.  I would welcome alternative ways to draw this so that materials etc. calculate correctly. (not that a 4.5 strip of drywall matters...but...you know what I mean)

You can cap the end of the wall with a soffit, like Hammer7 suggested. You can also cap the end with a custom slab or polyline solid as well. I sometimes just open "interior 4 walls dialog box-Wall types" and set the framing to drywall instead of "fur framing" which visually also works.

DJP

Same issue to deal with using a wall that has stone on both sides at the exterior of a covered entry. It's simple to add a doorway so that stone appears within that doorway, but not around the ends of the wall. I'll probably just change the wall def to a single layer of stone after I frame it and retain its framing.

Annotation 2020-02-20 102913.jpg

10 hours ago, Hammer7 said:

Drywall not generating on short wall?  I know this has come up before and I was looking for the definitive explanation on how to solve this condition so drywall wraps the end of the wall?

I use a Pony Wall with a zero thickness wall type to use for the top part of the wall and the end of the wall finishes off.  If you want to use the wall cap feature then you have to give the top part a 1/32 thickness... or leave the top part zero thickness and build the cap from a polyline solid.

15 hours ago, Hammer7 said:

Good morning,

Drywall not generating on short wall?  I know this has come up before and I was looking for the definitive explanation on how to solve this condition so drywall wraps the end of the wall?bath half wall.pdf

Save as end of wall.png

This can and will happen if you add a 0" thick paint layer to the Wall definition ( per Chief's default Ceilings) as Chief only wraps the outer most layer of any wall around the end and if that is a 0" thick "Color" it fails and you see the Stud.

image.thumb.png.fb38c89a3674e7caa0e863f38dc8769b.png  image.thumb.png.066b0944ca5ddf7a39f10f4322b72a2d.png

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, scottharris said:

These half walls should have a cap on them without needing to make additional changes.  You might open your plan in X12 and see if the problem is resolved in the newer version; although it should also be fine in X11.  Consider posting your plan. 

half walls .png

Scott...

Using X12.  Two half walls.  Both are Interior-4.  One has an added "paint layer".  The one with the paint layer does not wrap the end of the half wall.  

2020-02-21_09-25-36.thumb.png.e9d68d72d08e894fbd0bf65fee4aafe4.png

Painting walls to a color and having them always wrap without fail.

Place a psolid on the floor, select a library color, use adjust material. When that opens select the color, add to custom colors, close.

To change ALL the walls in a building - select any wall with adjust materials, when it opens it should be "drywall" select the custom color you added.

image.thumb.png.8442cc83458c1c3098bb6304b0d1be7e.png

You can do this without the first step and just select a color from the color picker. I usually need a specified BM color so use the first method.

For a single wall or walls in a single room you can copy wall type and copy drywall material then apply the new material to the wall type..

image.thumb.png.1f5ad9a60e19a5c7ab742032c148b3fe.png

9 hours ago, scottharris said:

These half walls should have a cap on them without needing to make additional changes.  You might open your plan in X12 and see if the problem is resolved in the newer version; although it should also be fine in X11.  Consider posting your plan. 

half walls .png

My example above was done in X12 but it has been this way for as long as I remember.....

Normally I do it similar to Mark and just change the wall definition and have a 1/2" thick color for the "Drywall" instead.

M.