Saarinen Table Edge Profile

Adam_Gibson

Does anyone happen to have this? I'm doing a detail for a table, and can't find it on any CAD sites. It's the famous Tulip Table. Very cool profile as the table looks like it's less than a half inch thick but in reality it's more like 1.25 inches. 

post-286-0-62278600-1412795444_thumb.jpg

I didn't frame my question correctly. I'm not asking how to do it. I know how to make a molding/edge detail. I'm asking if anyone out there has the actual detail/dimensions for this iconic table edge. It's so cool and I don't want to bastardize it. I can't order one from Knoll because the one I need is oblong, so I'll have to have it made. It must be highly protected; I can't find the specs anywhere!

Alan, to answer your question: yes. I am trying to copy an iconic, but hopefully not copyrighted, design. I don't believe one can copyright an edge profile.

I am designing an oblong table that I'd like to precisely mimic the Saarinen's edge profile. I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll just use a contour duplication gauge, aka the ole trim-cheater, and rely on my field measurements. I'll post the profile here in the unlikely event that anyone wants it. 

That sounds like a fun project.  I think you could have just guesstimated from the information that is available online.  I think the basic idea is what matters, not whether your profile is within 1/8" of the original.  Post a pic of the completed project.  I have done quite a number of tables myself over the years and would love to see the finished product.

Adam:

Here's a link how to identify a true Saarinen table:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/identify-genuine-saarinen-dining-table-53249.html

I think this is the link I used to find the tulip table patent.  Some images I looked at on the Internet (actually 2D drawings) showed the top thickness at 3/4".  Not sure if the image was an original or not.

Thanks Curt. All this to say that I actually own a genuine Saarinen table purchased from Knoll (see pic). I started this thread with the hopes that the edge profile would be out there somewhere. In fact, it's not even on the patent application. I can trace it myself, and will. It wasn't laziness, but the desire to get the true profile from Knoll as the wires on a contour duplication gauge are of sufficient thickness disallow precision, especially with the subtle top bullnose radius.

post-286-0-57080500-1412968469_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...