Layout Pages Still Not Updating X7

nicknz

Hi guys - My layout pages update some of the stuff some of the time from a plan view - I recall someone posted a way to force a layout update but can't remember what they suggested. Anyone else having this issue and if so what are you doing to make the update happen without resending the plan to layout.   

Thanks for the quick response - its a marker this time - one of those annoying little details that slips through the cracks if you're not paying attention. I played around and found that it comes in on the 'text,markers' layer so tried adding a few more markers and they didn't update either but when I changed them to the 'CAD, default' layer they show up. Odd?....so I closed the layout and reopened it and now its updating. I guess the quick answer is to close the layout and reopen it - bit of a nuisance but not the end of the world (yet).

post-171-0-94560300-1424672538_thumb.jpg

Nick, If you select the Layout box and then open, then close, one of these 2 dbx's - sorry can't remember which - it will update the Layout. Just open and close the dbx. don't need to change any settings etc. Been a bug for many versions and happens much less often but have seen it a couple times in X6 and can't remember it happening in X7. Impossible to reproduce or document but I've seen it a few times.

Sometimes you just have to re-send to Layout.

I am having the same issues.  In X6 I never had any issues.  Whenever I changed something in plan, it dynamically updated the view in layout.  With X7, I am finding that on occasion I am having to delete the layout view and resend it to layout again, especially if I add call-outs with notations.  Is this a known bug in X7?

• Upvote 1

Same problem here.  I guess when X7 Beta was being tested this did not come up as an issue.  It is frustrating as most of the time I have to delete and resend to layout and when you have 39 different layout sets it becomes a time consuming issue.

To the best of my knowledge, the problem you are describing is not a new problem in X7.  I have seen this problem discussed on the forums in the past, but so far we have never been able to figure out what is causing this problem.  In every case that we have seen, simply saving the layout and the plan and then reopening it has always corrected the problem.  This makes the problem very difficult to fix because if someone sends us a layout, it always looks fine.   What we really need are the steps that will create the problem.

If anyone can figure out the exact steps needed to put you into a state where your plan view and layout do not match, then please report this problem directly to our tech support team.  You can contact support through this web page:  http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/#contact

For me , it was changing the link to the existing plan in the same folder. I draw the existing plan first then when I'm done with the existing I do a save as ,to the remodeled plan, and continue from there, designing the new. I also only work from 1 template layout plan. So I then have to re-link it to work off of the new remodeled plan. I am not sure if I did it or Chief did it. Probably me.

The instances where I have seen this are fixed with F5 (Refresh Display) - with the layout active.

Try this:

Open a layout and plan file and have them in separate windows (this doesn't work with tiled windows).

Move an object in the plan.

It will auto update and move in the layout as well.

Undo the move in plan.

The layout will not update - the object will remain in it's moved position.

Make the Layout window active.

Click F5 (Refresh Display).

The moved object updates in layout.

If you tile the plan and layout windows, the action of activating the layout window will update it  without the need for a Refresh Display. 

nicknz,

See if the F5 (Refresh Display) works for you.

I also have it in the back of my mind that this is also related to layer display.

This is really hazy, but I think if you have sent a view to layout and then change the layer display, a similar thing can happen and the Refresh updates the view with the new layer display settings - but maybe I am remembering incorrectly.

I will have a play.

Hi Glenn,

I tried the screen refresh but that didn't seem to work - I though it might be something as simple as scrolling in and out to solve it but no - I do know that the plan had not changed last time it happened apart from adding some day light angle and level markers. I can't recall if I had changed any layer displays. I'll pay more attention to what I'm doing from now on to see if I can catch a sequence of events that may trigger the issue. I'll try changing layers in the layer set sent to layout and see if that causes it. I'll get back to you.         

Lots of discussion here about how to correct the problem.  The simplest and most reliable way to correct the problem is to close and then reopen both your layout and plan.  As far as I know this will always work and anything else is only a maybe.  If this does not solve the problem, then please submit a bug report to tech support right away before you do anything else.

My main concern is figuring out how people are getting into this state.  It does not happen to everyone and for the people it does happen to, it does not seem to happen all the time.  It might be related to something these people do that most other people are not doing.  I suspect that it could have something to do with either doing a "save as" on a plan or relinking the layout to a different version of a plan.  For anyone that has ever encountered this problem, please try to remember what you did before the problem showed up and see if it was related to something like this.

Dermot,

I think that's exactly what happened to me a couple of times b/c I drew the existing plan first,  than re-save under (New remodeled) name, but the layout views do not update b/c I forgot to relink the layout to the new plan. How stupid is that? 

I usually start out drawing the new first, (it's really an as-built plan) then saving it as Existing, and just continuing with the new plan so I don't have to re-link. That is what I normally do but I sometimes lose my mind and screw it up. I chalk it up to lots of nagging and the Grandkids driving me nuts.

Perhaps a solution to this would be a tighter relationship between Plan and Layout.

My policy is to open the Layout and to use it as a navigation tool to the Plan(s).  I understand that opening a Layout "automatically" opens the Plan file(s) ....... but those Plan files don't appear in the Project Browser unless you specifically open them.  Consequently I do open them specifically.

Opening a Plan File without opening the Layout File obviously can result in changes not getting updated to the Layout.  Perhaps a solution would be to have an Open Project function that would open the Layout File and all associated Plan Files, adding them to the Project Browser.  It would also be nice if there was a New Project function that would create a file structure (folder & sub-folders) utilizing Layout and Plan Templates and guiding the user thru the Project Data, etc.

The current file access system is IMO too loose and results in the kind of problems being reported here.

Also, as Perry indicated - the "Save As" of a Plan File doesn't create a new Layout File so there will be a disconnect.  This function really need to ask if the Layout File should be copied to the new name as well - with an explanation of the ramifications.

In the long term, having a "Project Structure" that includes the Layout File, Plan File, Project Data, Images, Correspondence, etc would be a better solution.  Chief has a video showing some of this organization (can't remember where off-hand) that was the basis for how I have my projects organized.  A more automatic method of doing this would be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Nick, If you select the Layout box and then open, then close, one of these 2 dbx's - sorry can't remember which - it will update the Layout. Just open and close the dbx. don't need to change any settings etc. Been a bug for many versions and happens much less often but have seen it a couple times in X6 and can't remember it happening in X7. Impossible to reproduce or document but I've seen it a few times.

Sometimes you just have to re-send to Layout.

attachicon.giflayout update.GIF

Worked.

Just ran into it (X7 Beta).   Remember seeing a thread and came back to read for a solution.   I did not want to show "invisible walls" in layout but had already sent the plan.   No matter what I did, they still showed up.   Even closing files...closing the floor plan and reopening it by double clicking the layout...etc.   I tried re-linking the file....nothing.

Opening the DBX in layout and closing it updated it!!!

Thanks!!!