BnCKelley

Too many dimensions

Recommended Posts

Can someone please tell me why all these dimensions pop up when I click a wall? It didn't do this originally and I've noticed in other areas it's the same. Anyone know why and how to prevent or fix this? Also, is there a way to control what temporary dimensions will measure to? Thanks

 

I'm also not getting temporary dimensions when I click on a wall like I would normally get to relocate or move the wall.

20210227_124717.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like you accidently hit the AUTO INTERIOR DIMENSION tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does it look like before you click on that wall?  There are three possibilities that come to mind:  (1) You've been dimensioning on quite a few layers and they're all being displayed on top of each other (though clicking on the wall wouldn't affect that), (2), as @joey_martin suggested, you've used the Auto Interior Dimension tool and it has overlapped your manual dimensions, or (3) ... I'll await your reply regarding the appearance of dimensions  before  you click on that wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BnCKelley said:

Can someone please tell me why all these dimensions pop up when I click a wall? It didn't do this originally and I've noticed in other areas it's the same. Anyone know why and how to prevent or fix this? Also, is there a way to control what temporary dimensions will measure to? Thanks

 

I'm also not getting temporary dimensions when I click on a wall like I would normally get to relocate or move the wall.

20210227_124717.jpg

 

If you post your plan we can look at and compare the setup of your dimension defaults....

 

So...post a plan. Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How to Show/Hide Temporary Dimensions:

 

Menu Tools->Toolbars and Hotkeys->Customize Toolbars
Now in Search box type Temp
Find Temporary Dimensions, click on it and drag it on your toolbar
Now you can check/uncheck Temporary Dimensions anytime as you wish

PvXaMpj.png

 

OKj6JzG.png

 

H0YwvKt.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nicu101268 said:

How to Show/Hide Temporary Dimensions:

 

Menu Tools->Toolbars and Hotkeys->Customize Toolbars
Now in Search box type Temp
Find Temporary Dimensions, click on it and drag it on your toolbar
Now you can check/uncheck Temporary Dimensions anytime as you wish

PvXaMpj.png

 

OKj6JzG.png

 

H0YwvKt.png

 

 

You shouldn't need to do that if you have Chief's out of the box Toggle Modes toolbar turned on...

1298765437_ToggleModes.thumb.png.fba64c3512baf00edd5ce57566d53f64.png

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He cannot post plans.  No internet, just a guy and his cell phone.  Maybe he takes his laptop to a McDonalds once a week to keep Chief going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am having the same problem with one of my plans as well.

While it is related to temp dim's, the problem is not that they appear, but rather that the number of dimensions that appear is overwhelming and largely useless.

In my case, I click on one interior wall with no features on it, I get nearly 100 different dim's that are completely unrelated.  I get a center dim on a toilet 2 rooms over for example.

Here's what it looks like... Yellow is the selected wall, red stuff is "garbage."

image.thumb.png.97ab3c343e00ddc8b62cccb6f6d185d2.png

In another test plan, I click that and get 5 dim's that locate the adjacent walls - what I expect.

In the test plan, all the temp dim's are "usable", that is to say if I select a wall, the temps that area can each be selected ans edited to determine the wall placement and dimensions.  In the problem plan, most of the temps that appear are not editable.  The toilet center line as my example, is not going to help me dimension the selected wall.

In this example, the yellow is selected, but the red are all relivant and editable.  Note I stuck a door and toilets in to compare if they were dim'ed like they were in the problem file.

image.thumb.png.46210aead079a2bbabd5133c8227d4dc.png

SNestor's file from the original question seems to me to be demonstrating the same issues.  I don't want to turn temps off, they are very usefull in sizing, But if I can't hardly find the correct dim to edit because it's buried under garbage, they do no good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RookiePete said:

I am having the same problem with one of my plans as well.

While it is related to temp dim's, the problem is not that they appear, but rather that the number of dimensions that appear is overwhelming and largely useless.

In my case, I click on one interior wall with no features on it, I get nearly 100 different dim's that are completely unrelated.  I get a center dim on a toilet 2 rooms over for example.

Here's what it looks like... Yellow is the selected wall, red stuff is "garbage."

image.thumb.png.97ab3c343e00ddc8b62cccb6f6d185d2.png

In another test plan, I click that and get 5 dim's that locate the adjacent walls - what I expect.

In the test plan, all the temp dim's are "usable", that is to say if I select a wall, the temps that area can each be selected ans edited to determine the wall placement and dimensions.  In the problem plan, most of the temps that appear are not editable.  The toilet center line as my example, is not going to help me dimension the selected wall.

In this example, the yellow is selected, but the red are all relivant and editable.  Note I stuck a door and toilets in to compare if they were dim'ed like they were in the problem file.

image.thumb.png.46210aead079a2bbabd5133c8227d4dc.png

SNestor's file from the original question seems to me to be demonstrating the same issues.  I don't want to turn temps off, they are very usefull in sizing, But if I can't hardly find the correct dim to edit because it's buried under garbage, they do no good.

 

Whether its desirable or not is another story, but the way Chief currently works as that Chief's generic temp dimensions only show up if there are no other dimensions in the plan that are referencing the same thing.  In your particular example you have placed all those other dimensions onto their various layers.  Each dimension string that is being displayed has one segment or another that can indeed be used to resize or relocate the selected wall...

dims.thumb.png.787d8cc3e78c17d0f4f7ebba7f8f0435.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    29326
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    ernest
    Newest Member
    ernest
    Joined