dskogg

HOW TO OFFSET RAILS AND POSTS

I want to offset both the posts and rails on a deck privacy screen, ca only seems to allow newel offset,

how do i do both?

OFFSET RAIL.JPG

1 minute ago, dskogg said:

I want to offset both the posts and rails on a deck

Offset how?

bring in say 4" inside deck edge or even 1.5" so the posts can sit inside perimeter rim joist

Increase the thickness of the wall.

• Upvote 1

This is what I do to move the railing further in. Make the deck with the deck tool that has no railing with room definition. Place a deck railing wall inside the deck and make it no room definition and move it to where you want it on the  deck. Pretty easy and simple.

Railing offset.jpg

• Upvote 1

Keep it simple.  Just increase the width of the railing wall.  Done. 

Chief centers the rail on the width of the wall.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SNestor said:

Keep it simple.  Just increase the width of the railing wall.  Done. 

Chief centers the rail on the width of the wall.  

Sounds quite simple, are you doing this in the Wall Type? If so, won't that increase the width of your railing as the railing width follows the wall thickness, correct?

Disregard my question, didn't go far enough in modifying the railing wall, realized the railing width can be changed in the Rails tab of the DBX. Thanks for the tip, I have struggled with this multiple times.

5 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

Sounds quite simple, are you doing this in the Wall Type?

Open the wall, General panel, increase the Thickness.

1 hour ago, steve_stuart said:

Sounds quite simple, are you doing this in the Wall Type? If so, won't that increase the width of your railing as the railing width follows the wall thickness, correct?

No. When you increase the width of the wall type assigned to your railing...only the wall width increases. The railing width components are defined separately under the railing tab.  

Just to clarify...

The width of rails can be specified to be the same as the wall width or they can be set to a specific value.

The railing is always centered using the thickness of the railing "wall".  Making the wall type thicker is the easiest way to move a railing in from a deck edge.  A very thin wall will allow you to move the rail so that it is centered on the deck edge. 

There is no "easy" way to move a deck railing out more from the deck edge for situations where you want to attach the railing to the outside of the deck.  There are a variety of work-arounds to do this, such as Tommy's suggestion above.  Using a search on this forum will show you some other techniques.  This is a frequent request and already on our lengthy todo list.  If it is something you need, please free to submit another feature request because the more it is requested the faster it moves up the list.

You can also offset the newel posts independently of moving the railing using the wall thickness.  This can be useful if you need to align the rails to one side of the posts.