Autocad to Chief

Designer1

5 hours ago, dshall said:

I remember back in 1981-1983 recession,  I told a guy I would work for free,  it got me in the door,  did some work for pay and somehow I managed to get through that recession.  And then there was the 89-95 recession,  no work except for helping my client frame a remodel I drew for him.  I did learn how to play bridge since there was no work.   And then the 2008-2013 recession,  that was not too bad.   Which leads us to the possible 2020 recession.  I say it will be over soon.

That guy in the big house will turn this around and get us to our retirement years........  and then we will jump in a plane and visit the Great Glenn Woodward in Australia.  Or maybe take a cruise up to Alaska and visit The Alaskan Son.  But if the guy in the big house does not turn this around,  I will jump in the car and visit Perry in Corona California,  a mere 90 minute drive.

Hope the economy goes up then on your return cruise from alaska you can swing by down here in Panama after you go through the panama canal... ;)

10 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Hope the economy goes up then on your return cruise from alaska you can swing by down here in Panama after you go through the panama canal... ;)

Well,  we did Panama back in 2009...... before they did the small addition,  it certainly deserves a return trip!

Speaking of trips,  we just returned from Kenya in February before the sh*t hit the fan.  We got lucky with that one.

Baraca the Black Rhino and I became friends....

IMG_5818.thumb.jpeg.f4e33f46de9af8195f7b273683f1837e.jpeg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dshall said:

....Baraca the Black Rhino and I became friends....

IMG_5818.thumb.jpeg.f4e33f46de9af8195f7b273683f1837e.jpeg

Dude! Are we supposed to believe that 

those 2 strands (of what is that, twine)

are going to stop a charging rhino? Yikes!

9 hours ago, Rich_Winsor said:

Dude! Are we supposed to believe that 

those 2 strands (of what is that, twine)

are going to stop a charging rhino? Yikes!

Rich,

I don't

think

they

need

to stop

it.

They

just

need to

slow it

down

a little.

I think

the idea

is that

the little

zapping

sound

will give

a person

that

little

extra

reminder

that

maybe...

just

maybe,

it's time

to RUN!!!

Truth be known,  that is a black rhino which is much more dangerous than a white rhino,  but unlucky for him and lucky for me,  Baraca is blind.

He sleeps 24 hours a day except for when someone has paid $30.00 to pet him.  The trainer tempts him with a little food,  he stands up which gives the tourist a chance to have their picture taken with him.

We visited many sanctuaries that take care of the animals who would not stand a chance in the wild.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2020 at 11:15 PM, dshall said:

I did learn how to play bridge since there was no work.

Hey Scott,

That is one of the things I have decided to do during the current self isolation.

I did read some preliminary stuff and got lost pretty quickly!

On 4/16/2020 at 11:15 PM, dshall said:

Or maybe take a cruise up to Alaska

You would actually go on a cruise after what is still happening on cruise ships? - we still have several boats in Australian waters in dire straights.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, glennw said:

Hey Scott,

That is one of the things I have decided to do during the current self isolation.

I did read some preliminary stuff and got lost pretty quickly!.....

Hi Glenn,  it probably is the ultimate thinking man's card game.  Best way to. learn is to learn with others players,  preferably through a bridge club.

Check out the Peninsula Bridge Club.  https://peninsulabridgeclub.org.au

It l looks like they have online games.  You could join the novice game and learn with other beginners.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Scott, there are no cruises to Alaska this year

Thanks Perry.  Our next cruise is planned for Summer of 2022 to Iceland & Norway.  That is the year Lynn retires and that is where she wants to go.

Hopefully all will be well then.

• Upvote 1

Not to derail the world travels and cruises stories... I thoroughly enjoyed them! 

Just wanted to let everyone know my friend got back to me and does have Chief Architect but its an older version.  The plans were created in Autocad completely so Im not sure how this adventure from Autocad plans to Chief is going to be but worth the learning I suppose.  Just wanted to get back with everyone on this.  I just wish the plans were done on an earlier chief version at least that would have been useful.  Oh well off I go on this cad adventure next week.

6 hours ago, Designer1 said:

The plans were created in Autocad completely

Like I mentioned before...

On 4/12/2020 at 9:15 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

There’s one major piece of the puzzle that hasn’t been addressed.  Are you talking about 2D DXF/DWG files or 3D DXF/DWG files?  Big big difference.

Just because it was drawn in AutoCAD doesn't mean there's not a ton of totally usable 3D information.  Unlikley?  Perhaps...but totally possible. 

Great thanks Michael... I will check it out when he sends me the files next week.  This will be my first Autocad to Chief transition so well see how that goes.  Next... Ive got to convince him to dump autocad and update his Chief license so we can keep any future projects more simple...haha j/k.