Computer Specs - Running X10

blakel39

Hello,

I currently utilize X10 and I am relatively please with it.  I am currently employed as Architect/Project Manager whose role is to produce architectural plans for Single Family Government Funded Affordable Housing.

I'm posting because I just got the go-ahead from our HR Department that I can begin the process of upgrading my current workstation (an i5 that is too slow to even mention the specs).  This was as a result of me recently producing a rendering for our Advertising Department; and since then have been requesting them in addition to the floor plans.

I started my search looking for 'Gaming/3d rendering' workstations.  A company I found online (Titan Computers) seemed to check all the boxes, as to what I would need.  I have enclosed a screen shot of the specs.

My question is two-fold: Does anyone have experience with Titan, and are they a reputable company?  And given the specs enclosed, would those specs produce pretty quick renders ( I currently live my i5 rendering over night to get even decent clarity)?

Thanks

Blake 

Cheif Specs.JPG

Nice looking system.

I don't know anything about Titan, another outfit to look into is Pugetsystems ( Curt Johnson has their system.)

If you are using PBR for renderings instead of Ray Trace I'd look into the i-7 8700K, faster single core speed and except for Ray Trace Chief doesn't fully utilize the extra cores.

Might also bump up the SSD to a Samsung 950 (or the 950 Pro) with the savings.

Given that this is a corporate purchase you may wish to consider a Dell Alienware Area 51 Intel based system. The number of configurations is almost endless and Dell also provides system leasing.

You mention that you do Ray Tracing with X10. Have you experimented with the new PBR camera feature? Unlike Ray Tracing which is highly dependent upon CPU core count, the PBR feature is more reliant on GPU performance. It would be worth exploring this PBR feature as it is most likely going to prevail over Ray Tracing as some time goes by. Certainly from my own experience I have now dropped Ray Tracing altogether, everything is PBR.

3 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Nice looking system.

I don't know anything about Titan, another outfit to look into is Pugetsystems ( Curt Johnson has their system.)

If you are using PBR for renderings instead of Ray Trace I'd look into the i-7 8700K, faster single core speed and except for Ray Trace Chief doesn't fully utilize the extra cores.

Might also bump up the SSD to a Samsung 950 (or the 950 Pro) with the savings.

I would exchange the SSD for the Samsung 960 EVO or 960 Pro .(.slightly newer Model ) faster than the WD ... I have the EVO but if a Corporate Buy the Pro maybe better ( longer warranty)

I would also take a second look at the i7-8700K CPU on a Z370 MB , there have been heat issues on the X299 Platform ...not sure if that is resolved or not ?

And a larger CPU AIO ie 240 or 280 mm ( eg Corsair H110 or H115 or Arctic 240mm Freezer, which I also have) if you are going to RayTrace versus use the new PBR Camera . The 120 AIO will have to work too hard to keep up especially if you Overclock at some point and will be noisy as the Fans will be at 85%-100%.  ( eg I previously had the H80iGT and it worked it was just ramped up under RT Loads)

I can't comment on the Company but if you are not a computer Enthusiast ? I suggest using a Local Company , local support can make a big difference. I'd be happy to fly in for a Govt. Service Contract though :)

M.

4 hours ago, VinnieVicon said:

You should also check out a company called Digital Storm out of California

Digital Storm is what I am running and am very pleased with it.. They make great gaming systems which is what you should be looking at for Chief. They use quality parts, can make custom changes (such as overclocking) and they do a good burn in before shipping to make sure all the components work as they should; very knowledgeable techs also.

• 5 months later...

Actually, the M.2 NVMe is around 6 times faster than a traditional SSD.

Seems like a solid build.

I bought the one in my signature line last year.  I can attest to how important speed can be and why investing in good tools is always the right decision.

By 'Rendering' can we assume you mean RayTracing? If so the CPU handles ALL of the RayTracing duties and will indeed produce some heat while doing so so cooling is important. I'm not that current on the best/fastest CPU's but if you want faster RayTracing then the CPU is where the budget should be stretched in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

That system looks overkill.  For the price paid you may experience diminishing returns on performance, but since it isn't your money, why not?

You can see my system in my signature.  It runs decently well, but if I had more $ it would be an i7 with a 1080 card or two.  But I don't raytrace much fwiw.