Attic Walls

johnny

Attic walls would be so much easier to shape if they didn't seem to have a mind of their own - or rather have interaction issues that caused them to jump around, separate themselves, or overall spaze out in some other way.

Is there any way to make attic walls stay put in every direction other than the edge you are reshaping?

Show a pic or maybe post the plan? I think we should have a "wild card" wall type that will draw ANYWHERE  and we can set ALL options (Bottom & top height settings are a must) on this wall. Attics are a perfect location where these can be used.

3 hours ago, ShaneK said:

Show a pic or maybe post the plan? I think we should have a "wild card" wall type that will draw ANYWHERE  and we can set ALL options (Bottom & top height settings are a must) on this wall. Attics are a perfect location where these can be used.

Ill try and do that just a little later - calling it a night at my office, going home.

Personally, I always have that "auto rebuild attic walls" turned off.

If I need to close some gap, I'll edit the wall and drag it up to fill in the void rather than have an attic wall auto-rebuild.  It's pure chaos otherwise.

I think the "auto re-build" attic walls is more of a "training wheel" feature for novice users.

12 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

If I need to close some gap, I'll edit the wall and drag it up to fill in the void rather than have an attic wall auto-rebuild.  It's pure chaos otherwise.

I think the "auto re-build" attic walls is more of a "training wheel" feature for novice users.

Yeah, but I am finding even with it off it still doesn't operate without outside influences.

Here is a work in progress plan and I am trying to shape the wall (see pic) and its not reshaping without quirky things happening.  I do get this often.

attic_wall.png

Thompson Residence2.plan

45 minutes ago, johnny said:

Yeah, but I am finding even with it off it still doesn't operate without outside influences.

Here is a work in progress plan and I am trying to shape the wall (see pic) and its not reshaping without quirky things happening.  I do get this often.

attic_wall.png

Thompson Residence2.plan

"Roof cuts wall at bottom" in wall dbx roof panel.

att.png

att 1.jpg

Thanks guys - yeah, I agree the walls cuts bottom was best choice - but so you guys know I didn't start with 2 walls, and I was simply reshaping the wall to fit in the area and couldn't get the wall not to change on me during reshaping.

Johnny,

I am not sure that Roof Cuts Wall at Bottom is the best solution in this case - it just seemed to make things worse for me.

The reason that there are 2 walls is that the subject wall is being cut in two by the invisible wall running perpendicular to it - an auto generated attic wall, I think..

This is easily fixed by breaking the invisible wall where the 2 walls cross and then dragging the gable wall over itself to redraw it.

The gable wall should now be a single wall breaking the invisible wall and you should be able to easily reshape the gable wall bottom.

Leave the auto attic wall as invisible with auto attic walls toggled on if you want to - the attic wall won't rebuild as long as the invisible attic wall is there.

It also looks like you need some extra ceiling planes in the porch to finish it off properly - have a look up from inside the porch.

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 5:36 AM, Michael_Gia said:

I like to leave auto attic walls on and at some point along the way I need to turn them off and continue, not sure when that point exactly is, usually after the roof is generated. but this also applies to the auto roof planes. For me doing it that way just saves time.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Michael_Lewis said:

I am having a hard time with these attic walls as well. I am including my plan and a photo of the desired look.

1110 Jackson St.zip

IMG-4043.JPG

I hate to say it, but I think attic walls might have been the least of your troubles...There's too much wrong to even begin a list.

I cleaned some of it up and have attached the plan. 

I highly recommend watching every tutorial video and reading at least most of the manual. 

1110_Jackson_St_B.plan

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Michael_Lewis said:

I am having a hard time with these attic walls as well. I am including my plan and a photo of the desired look.

1110 Jackson St.zip

IMG-4043.JPG

Your problems with the attic walls were related to the roof plans.  Most of the planes were cutting into the walls preventing them from generating attic walls.

2020-03-19_14-16-03.thumb.jpg.922a5bd593a4c26ae4ccb4d5dee776b7.jpg

Attic Walls.zip

Thank yall so much. Im still learning the program to a large degree. I started another company a couple years ago and it is taking all my time so im barely drawing anymore and by the time i do i have forgotten half of what i have learned on this program. Thanks again guys.