iskorix

Stairs - Issue

Hi,

I'm trying to create a stairway according to attached image/plan, does anyone know if this is possible? And If it is could anyone like guide me or give me a few tips?

Br,

Isko

post-7236-0-12802000-1439147273_thumb.jpg

post-7236-0-85149900-1439147274_thumb.jpg

post-7236-0-47798500-1439147275_thumb.png

I would create it with solids rather than the stair tool. It really isn't a staircase as much as simply a series of landings. Save yourself the headache and build it with solids.

Hi Joey_martin. I'll try to do that, thank you kindly for taking your time to reply. :)

Solids and the Transform / Replicate Tool will work , it will copy ,raise, rotate etc the 1st one you make....

Hard to see the Stringers but a solid maybe the only way for that too.

M.

In order to accurately represent that stringer element I would probably make use of solid subtraction. Completely doable within CA.

Wow, really happy with all of the suggestions, I'm suprised and amazed regarding how fast and interested people where in helping me to figure it out. Thank you so much for everything everyone!

Also check the code books, if that is a new stair, as shown on your floor plan it could be illegal. The photo of the stairs look ok. Hard to tell.

Poly solids and stairway with settings changed

post-4392-0-22863300-1439236753_thumb.jpg

Poly solids and stairway with settings changed

So in your example what are the poly solids and what part is the stairway tool?  I'm curious...

@Drawzilla, I'll make sure to check the code books, how come this kind of stairs are illegal in Cali?

@ShaneK, Thank you for the samples I'll check'em out.

Code book will tell you min and max of the winder, tread depth and other details. Might be code compliant and it might not, :angry: 

I FORCED myself to do the transform/replicate for the poly solid stairway. Not sure I saved any time, manual placement of solids very doable.

Here is the code form Calif. taken from the IBC

post-113-0-73590400-1439246493_thumb.png

Also the riser shouldn't have an opening greater than 4" so the riser would have to be partially blocked.

The code snippet calls out the irregular shaped winders not needing to be within 3/8" vertically of the other stairs. How does that make sense?

The code snippet calls out the irregular shaped winders not needing to be within 3/8" vertically of the other stairs. How does that make sense?

Interesting question.  Here's my take:

It isn't the actual riser height but the ratio of riser height to tread depth along the "Walk Line" that is most important.  The typical comfortable ratio between risers and treads follows a formula of 2R+T = (24"-26") so when the depth of tread along the walk line is longer the riser height might be more comfortable if it's a bit less.

Perry, the walkline is 12" from edge of stair, correct?

Yes, and that walk-line must have the required depth of tread at the 12" mark. It looks like your curve at the bottom of the stairs is too tight, needs a bigger radius to get that 6" min. at the end of the tread.

I misread the text. It calls out the greater than 3/8 variation for tread. I had thought it was calling out the riser.