If It ain't broke lets break it

raltd9245

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

When you get use to it, it really is better.

Just about everyone of my Clients would disagree with you, it's the most hated part of X15 by far , and most wish there was a button to make the library work the same way as it has for the last 15 years with a single Click , but with a bit of playing with the Libraries Settings, ( gear wheel bottom left ) in particular the Filter and Pane Settings you can get it pretty close to how it was.   

Perhaps Other's can share how they have it setup or even better Chief could make a KB Article for all those annoyed by this change......

image.thumb.png.c4147daa7f87a7b010763216e55bfb5a.png   image.thumb.png.3e3ec103a107f76e4467392b796121df.png      image.thumb.png.3ad6c3205b88be7fd9a752246991821d.png

M.

@Chief_Content

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Just about everyone of my Clients would disagree with you, it's the most hated part of X15 by far , and most wish there was a button to make the library work the same way as it has for the last 15 years with a single Click , but with a bit of playing with the Libraries Settings, ( gear wheel bottom left ) in particular the Filter and Pane Settings you can get it pretty close to how it was.   

Perhaps Other's can share how they have it setup or even better Chief could make a KB Article for all those annoyed by this change......

image.thumb.png.c4147daa7f87a7b010763216e55bfb5a.png   image.thumb.png.3e3ec103a107f76e4467392b796121df.png      image.thumb.png.3ad6c3205b88be7fd9a752246991821d.png

M.

@Chief_Content

Programers with to littlw work. There are many areas of the program that need fixing ;

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

given a little time they will like it also. It does take up larger real estate though, but all the boxes are adjustable to anyone's liking.

Like I said in another answer there are many functions that could work much better with programing. With Chief creeping towards commercial for instance!!!

I'm with you @raltd9245

The new library layout/ organization has truly set me back when it comes to my ability to develop a project quickly.  I spend way more time now than I ever had to to find the objects I would typically use.  

For example.  Type in 'gas range' and in X14 this was at the top of the list:

image.thumb.png.1df974263210020e990e1e4a766d29de.png

Now when you type gas range it's at least 30 items down the list and the first thing on said list is my imported object "800 series Gas Rangetop 36" followed by the apartment gas range, and a ton of the subzero/ wolf cooktops (doesn't even say range in the object names)

image.thumb.png.55f96efe382c2893be51c883780edcbd.png

Additionally, all of my imported items are categorized and placed in specific folders for me to be able to find.  Now those subfolders are useless as Chief doesn't show individual content anymore.  Pretty lame and I'm hoping for a dramatic redesign in X16 @ChiefArchitect

• Like 2

On 6/17/2023 at 3:03 PM, DRAWZILLA said:

It does take up larger real estate though

The ability to turn off the library toolbar would help. It would free up some of that space. All of the options can be found by right clicking in the library windows, top drop down menus, or in the preferences anyway and once set, I hardly use them again. Right now, I have it next to the filter results so it keeps that area larger by default. It would also be nice if the zoom factor could be locked in the filter results as well. By default I can only see one or two items at a time. I feel like overall it is slower than the old library search. Perhaps an option for the new system as advanced search mode, old system as default quick search.

810133537_LibraryScreenshot.thumb.png.c89dfb9a4542ed4a976ea72cd8ab706d.png

3 hours ago, KilianDrafting said:

The ability to turn off the library toolbar would help.

Options are always good, and as you say once you have it setup how you like it is hardly used.  There are also a lot of different uses cases , many with limited screen real estate, so I can see how this would be great for Laptop users without secondary screens for example.

People like Choices and not being forced to use the GUI in a manner that someone who doesn't use the Software day in / day out to make a living, decides is "best", I think that is what most people are saying here.....

M.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KilianDrafting said:

The ability to turn off the library toolbar would help. It would free up some of that space. All of the options can be found by right clicking in the library windows, top drop down menus, or in the preferences anyway and once set, I hardly use them again. Right now, I have it next to the filter results so it keeps that area larger by default. It would also be nice if the zoom factor could be locked in the filter results as well. By default I can only see one or two items at a time. I feel like overall it is slower than the old library search. Perhaps an option for the new system as advanced search mode, old system as default quick search.

810133537_LibraryScreenshot.thumb.png.c89dfb9a4542ed4a976ea72cd8ab706d.png

If you grab where it has the T and ... you can actually move that to the bottom for example or somewhere else where it gives you the space you need.

You can see that in this shot from one of the previous posts.

16 hours ago, DeLayDesign said:

image.thumb.png.1df974263210020e990e1e4a766d29de.png

23 minutes ago, rgardner said:

If you grab where it has the T and ... you can actually move that to the bottom for example or somewhere else where it gives you the space you need.

You can see that in this shot from one of the previous posts.

That takes up prime vertical space for filter results and folder panels. The toolbar is too high and the filter "search" panel is at least twice as high as the original x14 search.

25 minutes ago, KilianDrafting said:

That takes up prime vertical space for filter results and folder panels. The toolbar is too high and the filter "search" panel is at least twice as high as the original x14 search.

Sorry I don't think we are on the same page.  What I was trying to show was that if you drag to the bottom it will be horizontal instead of vertical so you will have that extra space to see your preview.

42 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Sorry I don't think we are on the same page

I understood what you were you saying. But look how much space I lose in the filter results by putting the toolbar on the bottom. Chief adds a title to the toolbar plus the toolbar icons which shrinks the height of the filter results preview panel. We lost height in the new filter area with the new system, just trying to regain some of that height for the results panel.

1228387121_LibraryScreenshotbottom.thumb.png.07dc78a3783c3d1a0d55793dced9f7c8.png1267908325_LibraryScreenshot.thumb.png.65e6591bb1a38e5ffd5692d855ace79a.png

On 6/19/2023 at 4:26 PM, DeLayDesign said:

Now those subfolders are useless as Chief doesn't show individual content anymore

What do you mean, what is this referring to, individual content? Why would subfolders not matter?

20 hours ago, raltd9245 said:

Hey Programers allow us the ability to go back to the old way, it would be much apprecviated. U asll have to much time on your hands!!!!!!!!!!

This was just a ph 1, a necessary part of a complete cloud based PM software, now they can push updates and patches to the library, also a big part of the subscription implementation...not possible without it.

22 hours ago, KilianDrafting said:

if the zoom factor could be locked in the filter results as well. By default I can only see one or two items at a time.

Why not switch to tiled mode..also ctrl+mouse wheel for different preview size

22 hours ago, KilianDrafting said:

I feel like overall it is slower than the old library search.

Depends on if you have Include Web Results checked and what rendering your preview is in as well as what the default room materials are in your template plan

27 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Why not switch to tiled mode..also ctrl+mouse wheel for different preview size

Haven't watched your video yet, I'll def. take a look. I don't like the tile mode, bc I like to see the name as well as a preview since I have a huge custom window catalog I built. I use the ctrl+mouse for different preview sizes, but would like the option to have it locked it at that size when I re-open a new plan.

• Upvote 1

Good comments here. If you have specific request to improve the library features, it is most constructive to send them to suggestions@chiefarchitect.com and/or start a thread in the Suggestions area of ChiefTalk, where our team regularly gathers and documents feedback like this.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Rene, you might want to add a link to the Other Video you made earlier as well to the post above.

For Others.......  I am not sure when Chief posted their Video since they don't Date them but there is on for the new X15 now...... most covers what Rene does above.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/268/library-browser-overview.html?playlist=84

M.

• Upvote 1

@Renerabbitt I fear the issue may have been that not everyone works the same way as users @ChiefArchitectmay have requested feedback from.  I've discussed my issue with the catalogs countless times - specifically regarding my subfolders and them not showing up appropriately.  I don't always use 'search' to find my items, but the search is funky now and was just one example. Sometimes I just know where to look for the items I need and how X15 organizes them is not conducive to how I'm use to working with Chief Architect.

Example:  X14 I use to be able to go to my custom user catalog and see my subfolders and dig deeper from there.

image.thumb.png.39949cb9379264de8156c6bfe385c9fa.png  image.thumb.png.6124e6e62e12b842a45572e295cb7c2f.png

However, in X15 when you click on a 'main folder' it shows everything in that folder instead of my organized subfolders:

image.thumb.png.323cb6cfed4e705d0e50bff4fed246d0.png  image.thumb.png.9a29b14221eb705a246c65c2a8157c31.pngimage.thumb.png.69e9e7cf7086d8db75a60c1492e68eaf.png

It doesn't matter if it's in tile mode or list mode.  Both suck.  I might be trying to get to my custom vehicle catalog for example.  X15 has eliminated the ease of being able to click on my subfolder while still being in my CustomUser Catalogs subfolder... Let's say I can get past this and ignore this annoyance fine - when I click on the CustomUser Vehicle folder - again it doesn't show me my subfolders for this file and instead shows me EVERYTHING that's in the folder.

X15:
image.thumb.png.1d8246a6394d8dad2eda7a4e25a496d1.png

So If I wanted to get my 'ford' folder, I can't do this directly in the second panel which is now 'filtered results' anymore (I can in X14).  I have to select each folder directly - this is annoying.

X14:
image.thumb.png.19202ae055aecdc49d131c2427215dca.png

I understand the need to be able to directly connect to the cloud now that it's a yearly subscription service; but there has to be a way to give us a platform that works how we're use to it working with a more powerful search feature for people who use search for everything.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:45 AM, DefinedDesign said:

Will this help with the folder issue you are running into?  at 7:39 timestamp: 
https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/268/library-browser-overview.html?playlist=84

No.  This is only about search capabilities but does not help with the overall appearance of the library window.  Thanks though.

On 6/24/2023 at 11:10 AM, DeLayDesign said:

No.  This is only about search capabilities but does not help with the overall appearance of the library window.  Thanks though.

They have ruined the library interface.