How Do I Make A Tilted Sandwich Board With Legs?

zowie123

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You might try using roof planes and set the pitch to degrees.  Then set the angle you want.  Rafters should work for the legs.  Never actually tried doing a sandwich board, but I think this might work.

I certainly agree with the other comments regarding Chief's weakness in this area.  That is why I still use other cad and will continue to do so for quite some time it appears.

If you really are serious about doing this in Chief, then I would use Solids and Subtraction.  You can also Extrude a Face using the edit tools.

As in, create an object, cut the desired plane by subtracting another object from the original object, explode the original object, delete unwanted faces, use the extrude tool to extrude the face.

Tip, I use a large Box to locate the workplane in Chief so you know where it will automatically place your profiles in cross section view.

Do that over and over again because Chief does not have a workplane or UCS to work with and is not capable of doing a simple extrude operation like most other programs do.

IMO Chief actually does a very respectable job of creating Solids.  They just never bothered making it the least bit user friendly.

When you drop in a primitive, you do have control over its rotation about x, y, or z when you open it for spec....however, as soon as you modify that 3D shape (and it still remains a 3D shape), that control is lost...you get one dbx for pre-modification, another for post...the latter of which limits your options :(

Not sure if missed something here, but that's how I see it...

contacted tech support.

Sometimes if you Shift Select the object again it will bring up additional edit tools.  Not sure if this will help in your situation, but often times it does.  I just happened to stumble on to this and have not seen any documentation on it.  Kind of weird science how they set up these tools IMO.

If you make one board (vertical) and convert that to a symbol, you can then place that Symbol and rotate it in any direction using the symbol dbx.  Put 2 of those together to form the "A-Frame" and convert that to a Symbol.

Note.  If you carefully create the first board (including a face) you can assign a material to the face so that you have an advertisement.  Building symbols this way out of primitives and other symbols is important because you have much more control of materials and orientation.

If you make one board (vertical) and convert that to a symbol, you can then place that Symbol and rotate it in any direction using the symbol dbx.  Put 2 of those together to form the "A-Frame" and convert that to a Symbol.

Note.  If you carefully create the first board (including a face) you can assign a material to the face so that you have an advertisement.  Building symbols this way out of primitives and other symbols is important because you have much more control of materials and orientation.

In Vectorworks I can set a "Working Plane" to match any angle/plane I want on the fly (or even save those plane views) to then place graphics or text (or anything else, including continuing modeling from that plane) in a snap.    Here is a quick example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXtZ6mUN5DM

Im not trying to sell people on Vectorworks, but just trying to show how behind CA is in these types of tools IMO.

Johnny

A bit off topic, but hopefully the OP would be interested in other options as well.

How good of a job does Vectorworks do on complex objects such as SSTBs with and without threads, and the associated Simpson hardware in 3D?  Hidden lines as dashed?  Detailed section views of same?

Not being contradictory, I would really like to know if or how Vectorworks handels these types of situations.

Johnny,

I guess it's my woodworking and building experience that tends to make using Chief for this so easy.  I tend to think in terms of the small components being put together into larger constructs.  I just build my symbols the same way I would in real life.  I've also grown quite comfortable with adding and subtracting 3D shapes using the boolean operations [add, subtract, union] in order to create more complex forms.

Johnny

A bit off topic, but hopefully the OP would be interested in other options as well.

How good of a job does Vectorworks do on complex objects such as SSTBs with and without threads, and the associated Simpson hardware in 3D?  Hidden lines as dashed?  Detailed section views of same?

Not being contradictory, I would really like to know if or how Vectorworks handels these types of situations.

If you've mainly been used to modeling objects in CA, then what Vectorworks can do in this regard would probably blow your mind.

Vectorworks is designed to be able to model ANYTHING.  Some people use Vectorworks for Mechanical 3D work as well.  Here is a quick video showing all these interactive tools for nearly anything you can think of. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XBcaVBmb0

Not only that, but there is something call "smart objects" where you can custom create objects and parameters that change....so virtually limitless options. 

Very Nice, but not seeing anything I can't do in TurboCAD Pro Platinum so far.  Didn't see any sectioning of Solids, at least not in that clip.  Can you convert Chief surfaces into Solids in VW? U3D?

Nice though.  Thanks for taking the time to show that.

Very Nice, but not seeing anything I can't do in TurboCAD Pro Platinum so far.  Didn't see any sectioning of Solids, at least not in that clip.  Can you convert Chief surfaces into Solids in VW? U3D?

Nice though.  Thanks for taking the time to show that.

Yes, there is no question other apps can do similar things - but how many specific Architectural apps can do this?  I guess its the variety of what can be done, with powerful specific tools for architecture and landscape architecture.  That said, Vectorworks doesn't have the residential specific tools anywhere on the scale what Chief has....which is why I use CA as well.  If I specialized in modern homes I might use Vectorworks exclusively, but for transitional styles of homes i've not found anything like Chief.

What I really wish is if CA would get simple 3D tools at the same level of Sketchup at least.

Not sure if I understand what you mean by "cover Chief surfaces into solids"....  meaning export from Chief into Vectorworks with data?

Johnny,

I guess it's my woodworking and building experience that tends to make using Chief for this so easy.  I tend to think in terms of the small components being put together into larger constructs.  I just build my symbols the same way I would in real life.  I've also grown quite comfortable with adding and subtracting 3D shapes using the boolean operations [add, subtract, union] in order to create more complex forms.

Im not sure I fully understand the primitive tool-set in CA.  The name of these tools doesn't inspire confidence...lol.

There are quick things I can do in Vectorworks to add to this A-board like chamfer the edges slightly and add brackets to the top edges at the existing slop angle....which to me seems next to impossible in Chief.  I am curious about this, and whether or not its just my lack of knowledge of this app.  Even just creating shapes that say include a rounded inside corner to the legs seem a task...but maybe i am wrong.