Flip Plan to Reverse Layout

gmdesigns45

49 minutes ago, madcowscarnival said:

For years I've always just worked through the "reflect about" method above.  This is the first time I've seen that "Reverse Plan" tool.  Wow, that's easy.

Ditto to that!

If you already have a lot of CAD, text or dimensions on your elevations, I'd recommend the 'reflect about' over reverse plan.  The reflect about makes it much easier to clean up the elevations, and makes updating the layout much easier.  I reverse a number of plans for reuse, making the 'reflect about' my preferred tool.  

My 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2022 at 6:08 AM, MoeGia said:

If you already have a lot of CAD, text or dimensions on your elevations, I'd recommend the 'reflect about' over reverse plan.  The reflect about makes it much easier to clean up the elevations, and makes updating the layout much easier.  I reverse a number of plans for reuse, making the 'reflect about' my preferred tool.  

My 2 cents.

I had my plan and layout complete and my clients then wanted me to reverse it. I used the "Reverse Plan" option and my layout was a mess with multiple views flat out missing and the note callouts missing from my front elevation. Is this consistent with the problems you've seen and why you recommend using the "reflect about" method?

And, depending on what you have in your plan, and where those elevation cameras are located, it may be necessary to quickly move the elevation cameras further away from the building.

Then, reposition them if necessary after the reversal is completed.

7 hours ago, Bob_Johnston said:

note callouts missing from my front elevation.

They should still exist, they just may be quite a distance away from the building. Have you zoomed out far enough to confirm they are gone?

You should be able to locate notes in elevations by using the 'find in plan' tool from the schedule.

7 hours ago, Bob_Johnston said:

I had my plan and layout complete and my clients then wanted me to reverse it. I used the "Reverse Plan" option and my layout was a mess with multiple views flat out missing and the note callouts missing from my front elevation. Is this consistent with the problems you've seen and why you recommend using the "reflect about" method?

Yes.  'Reflect about' keeps the elevations much cleaner.  You can even keep the plan on grid if you are careful.

I draw a line on each side of the building a set distance from the building-say 10' on grid.  Then a line down the center dimensioned to each side line (a point works too).  The edit area all floors and reflect about the center line/point.  This way all dimensions go with the reflect.  

The reverse plan is an old tool that should be depreciated or enhanced.  It might be okay for schematics but once the plan is developed, it's more work to use than it needs to be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

They should still exist, they just may be quite a distance away from the building. Have you zoomed out far enough to confirm they are gone?

You should be able to locate notes in elevations by using the 'find in plan' tool from the schedule.

Well looky looky, I zoomed out about a mile and there they are.  :D

Just a note in elevations mode if you use the reverse plan mode you should be able to use Ctrl+A or CMD+A and select all items in elevation and use the transform replicate tool to do a reflect about in place.  This should reflect everything in place and then you just have to reposition your leaders if you had any.

• Upvote 1

I just had to flip on yesterday, and used the reverse plan tool.  Had a mostly complete set of con docs in layout.  Wished I hadn't after all the cleanup I needed.

Reverse plan tool does not reverse all the terrain work, among the other things it stumbles with.  I had used Chiefs other tools before, in the few times I reversed.