How to Turn exterior door to interior door

dshall

Does anybody know How to Turn exterior door to interior door.

I have 20 interior doors that CA thinks are exterior,  hence the door type is incorrect for interior doors.

How do you get CA to recognize an exterior door as an interior door?

thanks

148740796_ScreenShot2021-05-29at7_23_08AM.thumb.png.e65633ca01e1da10609da12fe6189a4d.png

It is dependent on the room type that the door way goes to.  If there is a transition between interior and exterior chief will place an exterior door.  If there are two interior rooms chief will place an interior door.  If there are two exterior rooms chief will place an interior door.   So it depends on how the plan is drawn and nothing in the Door DBX unfortunately. ;)

1 hour ago, dshall said:

How do you get CA to recognize an exterior door as an interior door?

This suggest to me that you used a door from the library or it has been copied from an exterior wall to an interior or vice versa.  An Exterior Door will always be an exterior door regardless of where it is placed. An interior door will always be an interior door regardless of where it is placed.

Exterior doors must be placed in exterior walls for correct scheduling. If you want an interior door with the same physical properties as an exterior door, you'll need to use the match properties tool. Note that not all 'transferable properties' will actually transfer from an exterior door to an interior door.

In X12 and prior versions, a door is considered an interior or exterior door based on the room types on either side of it.  If both rooms are considered interior rooms, then the door will be considered an interior door.  If either room is considered an exterior room, then the door will be considered an exterior door.  If you have no rooms, then the door will also be considered an interior door.

So the short answer for X12 is that the door type can be changed by simply changing the room type of one of the rooms.

The other thing that matters is that even though a door can change from interior to exterior (or vice versa) when you change room types, only the things that are marked as "use default" will change automatically.  For example, the door width is not a dynamic default so it will not change but your door style is so it can change.  So if a door changes from interior to exterior it will really be more of a mixture of interior and exterior settings.  In my opinion, this is very confusing and often undesirable behavior.

In X13, the door type is determined at the time that it is placed and it will not be changed later regardless of how you change room types, wall connections, or even if you copy a door from one wall to another.  This also means that if you save the door in the library, that it should remain an interior/exterior door regardless of where you place it into a plan.

So the real answer is that it depends on whether you are using X12 or X13.  Since I know Scott is on the X13 beta team, this actually matters.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

I have 20 interior doors that CA thinks are exterior,  hence the door type is incorrect for interior doors.

Make one interior door that is correct. Add it to your library. Select all the others and use the Replace from Library tool.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dermot said:

So the real answer is that it depends on whether you are using X12 or X13.  Since I know Scott is on the X13 beta team, this actually matters.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's quite helpful.

Robert, some of your information only applies to X13 as well.  For example, the replace from library tool will not work the same in X12 as it does in X13 because in X12 the door type will still change based on room type but in X13 it won't.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Make one interior door that is correct. Add it to your library. Select all the others and use the Replace from Library tool.

Clever idea.

Thanks Dermot for the response.....  I wonder if there is a downside to being able to select a door after placed in plan. and then changing from interior to exterior.

All of my doors have some special stuff linked to them by the Alaskan Son,  so I never put in a new door from CA,  they are all copied from an older plan.  I must of got a bit sloppy and not  realized there is a difference betters the two programs.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

@dshall I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm having the same issue and wondering if things have been updated to X15 that I'm not aware of or if you've found any additional workflow tips?

My specific issue is I have a multi-fold door off a master bedroom onto a balcony but for some reason CA thinks this is an interior door.

I did notice that another similar door off a bonus room shows that the "Balcony" was only renamed Balcony and that the exterior room was actually a "bonus" room.

It is possible I placed this first and then copied it to the other side of the house.

It's also possible that in both cases I drew the room, placed the door, then changed the exterior room type. Judging by previous conversations drawing in this order may lock that door type as an interior door?

8 minutes ago, KDsnyder said:

@dshall I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm having the same issue and wondering if things have been updated to X15 that I'm not aware of or if you've found any additional workflow tips?

My specific issue is I have a multi-fold door off a master bedroom onto a balcony but for some reason CA thinks this is an interior door.

I did notice that another similar door off a bonus room shows that the "Balcony" was only renamed Balcony and that the exterior room was actually a "bonus" room.

It is possible I placed this first and then copied it to the other side of the house.

It's also possible that in both cases I drew the room, placed the door, then changed the exterior room type. Judging by previous conversations drawing in this order may lock that door type as an interior door?

before drawing a balcony, place your door..it will be an exterior door, it will never change its "stripes"
you can then copy and paste it in other parts of the plan

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

before drawing a balcony, place your door..it will be an exterior door, it will never change its "stripes"
you can then copy and paste it in other parts of the plan

Got it! Is there a way to change it's "stipes" if I've made an oops or are "turn coats" not allowed in CA?

30 minutes ago, KDsnyder said:

Got it! Is there a way to change it's "stipes" if I've made an oops or are "turn coats" not allowed in CA?

lol, no, you would simply create a new exterior door, but easy enough to use the object eyedropper or match properties tools to copy over some settings. In the grand scheme of things does it matters if its an exterior door? you can always have it report to any schedule you like and call it anything you like

• Upvote 1

No, you can't change it after first placing it. If it's the wrong type, just delete it and place a new one in the right place and then just move or copy it.

It mostly only matters for the dynamic defaults.  If Chief thinks it's an exterior door, than all of your dynamic defaults are going to be set from your exterior door defaults which might not be what you want if it is really an interior door.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2024 at 2:19 PM, Renerabbitt said:

In the grand scheme of things does it matters if its an exterior door? 

Normally, no. This basically came from a city asking to mark which doors would be required to meet the min SHGC/U-Fac and since some of my interior door have glazing it seemed the easiest way to denote this on the schedule would be to show which are EX/IN using the built in schedule column... this of course led to some EX being marked IN.

On 3/19/2024 at 2:26 PM, DBCooper said:

No, you can't change it after first placing it

Hmm that's unfortunate. Some of these doors have been customized pretty heavily. It's not a ton of work but it does add up. Live and learn I suppose.