Inconsistency Between Views

4hotshoez

3D view wont show countertop on wall as it does in plan. Any thoughts to why? I need to show the client how the 15" top looks, but I cant see it. What is shown in 3D it the default wall cap or rail. It was working with a 2" overhang until I made it wider.

post-2194-0-37566500-1412270363_thumb.png

post-2194-0-21532900-1412270374_thumb.png

You are correct in that it should not be doing what it is doing. In such a case, I would change it to a custom slab (If you started with a countertop that is). It might be a software driver problem with your video card but more likely it is merely a faulty 3D object, delete it and make another one or perhaps another one of a slightly different type that appears the same in camera views.

DJP

I just read what Dennis Gavin posted and I would sure check for that first, your image looks like just a solid railing with a default cap or rail

I am guessing (and why on earth do I do this?) that the thingymabob that you show in plan on top of the wall is not higher than the counter top.

Thats kinda what I was suspecting as well.  Looks to be a little z-fighting on the edge of the sink like there are 2 countertops in the same general space.

I have a similar problem. I built a house and it looks good in plan. But when I do a floor overview I see nothing. Can you help me.

I would post a picture and the plan, but I am too busy. Would you guys mind guessing what the problem is.

I understand that I am not paying you for your time to help me, and I probably will not look at this thread for another week, but please help.

I have a similar problem. I built a house and it looks good in plan. But when I do a floor overview I see nothing. Can you help me.

I would post a picture and the plan, but I am too busy. Would you guys mind guessing what the problem is.

I understand that I am not paying you for your time to help me, and I probably will not look at this thread for another week, but please help.

Did you check your references?

Scott, you have too much time on your hands. I will try out the suggestions when I get back to the office in the morning. I hope it just a layer setting, which is an easy fix, but I am not sure why it would have changed layer sets or visibility unless I changed the layer of the polyline ...  shoot! I think I did.

Well, it was fun to see all the responses any way. Sorry for posting my dumb mistake. Have fun with golf Scott.

Scott, you have too much time on your hands. I will try out the suggestions when I get back to the office in the morning. I hope it just a layer setting, which is an easy fix, but I am not sure why it would have changed layer sets or visibility unless I changed the layer of the polyline ...  shoot! I think I did.

Well, it was fun to see all the responses any way. Sorry for posting my dumb mistake. Have fun with golf Scott.

Todd,  I can never have too much time on my hands,  I am working very very hard to have more time on my hands.  

I will say that this will probably my best year yet with more money going in the bank,  more vacations and more time to play golf....... of course I work 7 days a week.

I figure that each "nugget"  I learn is worth about $100.00 a year,  if I learn 50 nuggets a year  (1 a week),  that is an additional $5000.00 per year.  This is why I monitor every  post on this site,  I am looking for that extra $100.00.  The  quicker I learn that nugget,  the more opportunity there is to learn and earn "bonus nuggets".  The problem is sometimes it takes 25 posts  to  pick up that nugget.  So I always appreciate when a question is answered quickly and expeditiously,  because as someone recently said......  I forget who it was on this site.....  but he was talking time is money.  

So when anyone has a question,  if they post a picture and the plan,  I can almost guarantee that anyone of us losers on this site  will answer the question in a post or two.  The quicker a question is answered,  the quicker us losers learn a nugget and pick up that extra $100.00.

Just goofing with you Todd,  I truly appreciate all of the interaction and back and forth that goes on this site with not only the power users but also the newbies.

Heck,  CC had a post a little bit ago that just might be worth an extra $200.00 per year  for me.  I will try to do a vid on this in the AM,  this could be huge for me,  thanks again CC.

I was taken from my computer for the rest of the day, other wise I would have. I am posting this from home with no plan access. I will try stuff in the morning, but if it does not work I will surrender the plan to the pack.

Thanks

"I am guessing" Dennis Gavin is right. I do remember now that I changed the top to another layer. As it turns out starting to build and learn Chief is relatively easy at the beginning to produce a house, but knowing how to managing all the information in an effective way seems to be the bigger challenge. Nevertheless, I am still miles ahead of learning and working in SoftPlan, which is where I started on this project. I made CAD elevations then switched to Chief when I learned that I had to generate another 20 elevations. Creating the big stuff is easy, but get hung up for hours on clearing up the little stuff. It has been fun. The bonus is that you guys are a hoot.

Another possibility is that the polyline solid is actually on the floor below. The "Elevation" height for a polyline solid is for the absolute elevation, not the elevation above the floor, like a countertop.

Don't know whether you're right or not, but good call sir.  I wouldn't have thought of that.

Another possibility is that the polyline solid is actually on the floor below. The "Elevation" height for a polyline solid is for the absolute elevation, not the elevation above the floor, like a countertop.

But if you look carefully at the screen shots provided you will see the elevation is 42" and a thickness of 1.25", I included this dialog window to show this info, because I knew someone might think what you are saying, because the polygon solid has ben on the floor before and I could not find it.

But if you look carefully at the screen shots provided you will see the elevation is 42" and a thickness of 1.25", I included this dialog window to show this info, because I knew someone might think what you are saying, because the polygon solid has ben on the floor before and I could not find it.

I don't think you understood...if that polyline solid is on the second floor, the height would need to be 42" plus thje hieght of the first floor structure, first floor walls, and 2nd floor structure.  Absolute elevation is always increasing starting at the bottom all the way to the top. 

Good point to know, but I know there are no other floors in this plan and when I first drew the polyline solid it was showing fine. It disappeared after adjusting the width, which I am sure was not connected to the vanishing act.

The verdict on the missing Polyline Solid: it was moved to a layer that was not "on" in the 3D layer set. I am just at the beginning of learning how to manage layers and layer sets. I prefer simple and less layers, but have not yet figured out what works best for Chief until I know more how Chief works my information.