Rpadge

Saved Plan Views

Recommended Posts

So I have just started using Plan Views, and I am trying to have 2 views of a floor plan, one with manual dimensions and one without. But if I save one view with the dimesions on,  its getting applied to both? Am I doing something wrong, or is this possible?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rpadge said:

So I have just started using Plan Views, and I am trying to have 2 views of a floor plan, one with manual dimensions and one without. But if I save one view with the dimensions on,  its getting applied to both? Am I doing something wrong, or is this possible?

 

 

Are you using the same 'active defaults' or the same Layer Set for each plan view? It sounds like you need a new Layer Set with the dims turned on/off for your new Plan View.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I'm correct, but I believe that has to do with setting up your layer display, one for manual dims the other without. Turn off the Dims in the Layer set and save it a plan view no dims or something like that?

 

Edit, maybe I was close.  Larry beat me to the punch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kind of wish “saved plan views” worked the way OP thought they did. 

 

That is, whatever changes you make to a default or annotation, changes only in said saved plan view without affecting other saved plan views which share the same default, layer set or anno set. 

 

This way you actually have a wysiwyg version of the view that you will send to layout. Also wish you could set the layout page number in the stettings dialogue box of that view in advance. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

I kind of wish “saved plan views” worked the way OP thought they did. 

 

That is, whatever changes you make to a default or annotation, changes only in said saved plan view without affecting other saved plan views which share the same default, layer set or anno set. 

 

This way you actually have a wysiwyg version of the view that you will send to layout. Also wish you could set the layout page number in the settings dialogue box of that view in advance. 

I wonder, can the dimensions location be changed/turned on/off in the "Dimensions" sections of the active defaults of the New Plan View? I don't mess with this much but will try it.

 

Don't think so as this only changes the layer that the dims show up on. Still need a new Layer or Layer Set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key is to create new Annoset and/or Layer Set as desired.  Then use "Save Plan View As" to create a new Plan View.  Make sure you reopen the prior "Plan View" and before saving it.  This will insure that it isn't inadvertently changed.

 

Plan Views do not provide for different positions of dimensions, etc.  They simply provide a way of saving the Layer Set, Annoset, Current Zoom, Floor Level, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...so, create a unique layer set and anno set for each saved plan view?

 

now why didn’t I think of that?

 

anyone else use this approach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. Ever since saved plan views became available. Really helps to focus your work to the actual drawings you'll be showing in layout as opposed to messing with things in the model that ultimately will never be seen by anyone. And each time that you make an improvement, then export and save those layer / anno sets to a folder to add to your templates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

...so, create a unique layer set and anno set for each saved plan view?

 

now why didn’t I think of that?

 

anyone else use this approach?

Don't need a new Anno Set, just a new Layer Set. Don't know of another approach...

 

It would be nice if we could create that new Layer Set from the Plan View dbx but it needs to be done from Active Defaults/Layer management. You can choose the Layer Set from the Plan View dbx but cannot create a new one from there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Don't need a new Anno Set, just a new Layer Set.

In many case that may be true. 

 

However, having a separate Annoset allows you to select the Plan View and immediately start working with the appropriate defaults for that Plan View.  In addition, the Annoset can activate the appropriate Layer Set.  It just saves a little extra time and grief.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

In many case that may be true. 

 

However, having a separate Annoset allows you to select the Plan View and immediately start working with the appropriate defaults for that Plan View.  In addition, the Annoset can activate the appropriate Layer Set.  It just saves a little extra time and grief.

Yup, however anyone wants to use Anno Sets works. No single method of course.... I still have all my Anno Set but will begin, when needed, to ignore them and see how that plays out down the road...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with changing anno sets as well. The idea of leaving the saved plan view to “using active defaults” for anno set is setting yourself up for potential mayhem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michael_Gia said:

I agree with changing anno sets as well. The idea of leaving the saved plan view to “using active defaults” for anno set is setting yourself up for potential mayhem. 

That's been my MO as well but am getting more comfortable ignoring Anno Sets as the active defaults duplicates the exact information that Anno Sets provides but, as always, to each their own...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

...so, create a unique layer set and anno set for each saved plan view?

 

now why didn’t I think of that?

 

anyone else use this approach?

 

Don't stop there.  I think you need a unique ANNO SET,  LAYER SET,  and REF SET for each plan set.  If you do it that way,  you will not need to worry about changing a set that will inadvertently change how different PLAN SET will appear.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dshall said:

 

Don't stop there.  I think you need a unique ANNO SET,  LAYER SET,  and REF SET for each plan set.  If you do it that way,  you will not need to worry about changing a set that will inadvertently change how different PLAN SET will appear.  

Is this your approach these days, Scott?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Michael_Gia said:

...so, create a unique layer set and anno set for each saved plan view?

 

now why didn’t I think of that?

 

anyone else use this approach?

IMO this is the only way to use the program.  The sets that CA ships with are less than useless.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad we can’t create “plan view sets” for elevations. 

You know, so that the plan view sets list can reflect the layout?...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is some more information that may help.

 

You should be careful not to setup any annotation sets that have all of the same settings with the only difference being the name.  The program does not actually link any views to annotation sets.  It only links them to the actual settings.  So if you have multiple annotation sets with all of the same settings, you will only be creating more confusion and more work for yourself.

 

Also, if you are using saved plan views, there is very little reason to link your annotation sets to layer sets.  The saved plan view is the "king" and it will be the one controlling the layer set, not the annotation set.  The main reason that we are still keeping the ability to link layer sets to annotation sets is for people that still haven't learned how to use saved plan views yet.

 

For these and other reasons, I recommend that you only create a minimal number of annotation sets where the active defaults are different and I would not bother to link them to any layer sets.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dermot said:

...Also, if you are using saved plan views, there is very little reason to link your annotation sets to layer sets.  The saved plan view is the "king" and it will be the one controlling the layer set, not the annotation set.  The main reason that we are still keeping the ability to link layer sets to annotation sets is for people that still haven't learned how to use saved plan views yet...

This is the direction I've been heading, letting go of Anno Sets as "King" and adapting Plan Views as "King" and setting everything up in the Plan View. There's no reason a user can't still use Anno Sets as "King" and have them link to Layer Sets, it's just not needed any more and doesn't take full advantage of the new Plan Views and their new inherent power to set up 'everything'..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Michael_Gia said:

Is this your approach these days, Scott?

 

It has always been my approach.  It is too much trouble trying to figure out if a certain ref set will go with more than one plan view set.

 

After Dermot's comment,  maybe I won't use ANNO sets anymore.....  maybe.  This has come up before....... the ANNO SETS serves as a back up to a PLAN VIEW SET that I may mistakenly mess up,  so maybe I will still use ANNO SETS.  

 

I have been using the same TEMPLATE SETS for about 12 years,  eventually I should start fresh.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may not be understanding the plan view sets correctly.  But I can see one advantage to anno sets as king.  If you have a layer called "extra items" (self explanatory), and you want to remove those items from view, you simply turn off that layer in the layer set that feeds every instance of a plan view (floors one, two and three).  With plan view sets, you would have to alter three different things to accomplish the same task.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, javatom said:

I may not be understanding the plan view sets correctly.  But I can see one advantage to anno sets as king.  If you have a layer called "extra items" (self explanatory), and you want to remove those items from view, you simply turn off that layer in the layer set that feeds every instance of a plan view (floors one, two and three).  With plan view sets, you would have to alter three different things to accomplish the same task.

 

I'm pretty sure each Plan View, for each floor, can reference the same Layer Set just like an Anno Set. Turn the layer off, in that Layer Set, and it should affect each floor and turn off the display on each floor. Which is kinda what was said above?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, javatom said:

I may not be understanding the plan view sets correctly.  But I can see one advantage to anno sets as king.  If you have a layer called "extra items" (self explanatory), and you want to remove those items from view, you simply turn off that layer in the layer set that feeds every instance of a plan view (floors one, two and three).  With plan view sets, you would have to alter three different things to accomplish the same task.

 

I don't think so...not if all Plan Views are using the same layer set. If you turn it off on one plan view...then that item will be off in all plan views using the same layer set. 

 

Actually, Michael (aka Alaskan_Son) stated this in a previous post about Plan Views and Anno Sets.  You really don't need Anno Sets...just change your "active defaults" and save the plan view with a unique name.  That's all you need to do.  At first I thought he was wrong...stupid me...turns out he is absolutely correct.  Just modify your Active Defaults....

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SNestor said:

...You really don't need Anno Sets...just change your "active defaults" and save the plan view with a unique name.

Took me a while to understand this, but, you really don't need Anno Sets... Certainly use them if you're more comfortable using them. I use them because my plan views were set up with them but as they change I'm ignoring them and just changing the active defaults which duplicates every setting within an Anno Set.

 

Hard to teach this old dog this new trick but am slowly understanding the concepts...

 

Even got rid of the Active Anno Set drop down in my template plan...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27613
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    3dvfxarch
    Newest Member
    3dvfxarch
    Joined