SNestor

Plot Plan and dimensioning

Recommended Posts

How do you dimension the distance between the property line and the setback line?  I can't seem to get any of the dimension styles to "click" onto these lines.  Do I have to draw a perpendicular line and add arrows to the line...and show the dimension?  

 

Surely I'm missing something simple...

 

Thanks

 

 

PLOT PLAN DIMENSIONS.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Make sure the lines are parallel using the make parallel tool 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:


Make sure the lines are parallel using the make parallel tool 

 

Thanks Perry...the S/B lines are parallel.  Just double checked.  I used concentric mode when I created the setback line...so, they should remain parallel.  

 

Is there a way to force a dimension type to be "perpendicular"?  Such as using either tab or some other method?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add that I am trying to dimension the site plan in a "Cad Detail" window...maybe that is the problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can use the same tool for perpendicular and it will give you 90d to the other line, as long as it's close to 90d to start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You can use the same tool for perpendicular and it will give you 90d to the other line, as long as it's close to 90d to start

 

Sorry Perry...you lost me.  What tool?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,

 

 

1 hour ago, SNestor said:

I should add that I am trying to dimension the site plan in a "Cad Detail" window...maybe that is the problem?

I always dimension in the Plan.  It's much easier IMO.

Of course, my Annoset & Layer Set is setup so that I can do this and just send the Site Plan to Layout.  I never got the idea of using a CAD Detail Window for the Site Plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parallel tool also does perpendicular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't the dim tools seem to work?  Why can't I just grab the end to end dim tool and get a dimension.  It doesn't even find a place along the line to "select".  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have cad lines selected in the "locate to" section of the DBX. of the type of dimension you are using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve

 

Toggle off Angle Snaps.

Just to simplify things, toggle off all other snaps except On Object and Perpendicular Extensions.

Drag an End to End dimension between the 2 lines.

 

The On Object snap ensures you snap to the lines, and the Perpendicular Extensions does just that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could keep guessing all day long but you'd probably have an accurate answer in mere minutes if you were to just post the plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

We could keep guessing all day long but you'd probably have an accurate answer in mere minutes if you were to just post the plan.

 

I don't think it's a "plan issue"...I think it's a user (me) issue.  I think Glenn may have nailed it.  It's probably an "angle snap" issue.  I could not get the dim line to snap from the setback line or the property line.  They were parallel.  Just wouldn't snap.  The lines are just simple Cad Lines...so...nothing complex.  

 

14 minutes ago, glennw said:

Steve

 

Toggle off Angle Snaps.

Just to simplify things, toggle off all other snaps except On Object and Perpendicular Extensions.

Drag an End to End dimension between the 2 lines.

 

The On Object snap ensures you snap to the lines, and the Perpendicular Extensions does just that.  

 

Think you have figured it out...

 

Thanks all...I appreciate the help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I don't think it's a "plan issue"...I think it's a user (me) issue.

 

Ya, I realize that.  The problem is that we could spend all day long guessing at what your settings are and what you're doing differently that may be causing the problem.  It's all good.  Hopefully Glenn's guess works for you. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve,

 

Just an additional note, if you don't use the above method..

With Angle Snaps toggled on, you can sometimes get a dimension that is not perpendicular to the lines.

You can then use Make Parallel to make the dimension line perpendicular.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glennw said:

Steve

 

Toggle off Angle Snaps.

Just to simplify things, toggle off all other snaps except On Object and Perpendicular Extensions.

Drag an End to End dimension between the 2 lines.

 

The On Object snap ensures you snap to the lines, and the Perpendicular Extensions does just that.  

This is the solution that works for me with the same problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Glenn said.  it's all about the snaps and angles.  however, it would be nice for these to work a little easier, they definitely take getting the right settings.  often times i need to create a dimension between two lines then drag to the home for it to work between a line and the home, since the home's corner is not necessarily parallel to the lines.  good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

What Glenn said.  it's all about the snaps and angles.  however, it would be nice for these to work a little easier, they definitely take getting the right settings.  often times i need to create a dimension between two lines then drag to the home for it to work between a line and the home, since the home's corner is not necessarily parallel to the lines.  good luck.

 

In a way...it's heartening to know I'm not the only one having trouble with dimensioning a plot plan.  

 

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I simply place the dim..let it pick up what ever it's going to pick up and while its still selected hit CNRL D and choose the line I want it perpendicular to. That way I don't have to turn the snaps on and off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can also use point to point dimensions and either;

  • Reduce the marker radius to zero
  • Change the marker line style to the invisible line style
  • Put the markers on their own layer and turn the layer off

Or you can use these...

MANUAL ELEVATION MARKERS

 

Neither of the above have any off angle limitations.  The problem with normal dimensions is that they must be snapped to the end of a line making it essentially impossible to dimension certain situations without using one of the above methods.  

 

You can also simply place a break in your line to force your dimension to snap anywhere you want but then you have a broken line...not exactly a good thing in some situations...especially if you're displaying the line's length/angle in a plot plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can also use point to point dimensions and either;

  • Reduce the marker radius to zero
  • Change the marker line style to the invisible line style
  • Put the markers on their own layer and turn the layer off

Or you can use these...

MANUAL ELEVATION MARKERS

 

Neither of the above have any off angle limitations.  The problem with normal dimensions is that they must be snapped to the end of a line making it essentially impossible to dimension certain situations without using one of the above methods.  

 

You can also simply place a break in your line to force your dimension to snap anywhere you want but then you have a broken line...not exactly a good thing in some situations...especially if you're displaying the line's length/angle in a plot plan. 

It's...in my opinion...nowhere near that complicated. In all the years I have used Chief, back to v9, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I have used the point to point dim tool. Using CNRL D works the best for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

It's...in my opinion...nowhere near that complicated. In all the years I have used Chief, back to v9, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I have used the point to point dim tool. Using CNRL D works the best for me.  

 

I agree.  It's a very rare situation that requires the aforementioned solutions...I was just offering the solutions for whenever the need might arise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, joey_martin said:

I simply place the dim..let it pick up what ever it's going to pick up and while its still selected hit CNRL D and choose the line I want it perpendicular to. That way I don't have to turn the snaps on and off. 

 

Great tip.  However, sometimes it doesn't pick anything up if the proper snaps aren't on...but if a busy site, then it should pick something.

 

Thanks again for the tip.  Lots of good things here that should help users in each circumstance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joey_martin said:

It's...in my opinion...nowhere near that complicated. In all the years I have used Chief, back to v9, I can probably count on 1 hand how many times I have used the point to point dim tool. Using CNRL D works the best for me.  

 

What is CNRL D?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SNestor said:

 

What is CNRL D?  

 Control + D  ==  Make Parallel/Perpendicular

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27494
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    theCADStudio
    Newest Member
    theCADStudio
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By KahlilHenley
      Chief Architect has been a blessing to me in the last year that I have been utilizing the software. However, I work in the United States Virgin Islands St. Thomas,  where there are seldom flat land to build on. Therefore, there is always a slope in the land and I am having a hard time landscaping. Are there any techniques or tips anyone can offer.
    • By jcaffee
      I'm having an issue in X10 using the Edit Area (All Floors) tool to rotate my site plan to a know reference line using the Make Parallel tool.  I select the terrain perimeter (on the line segment I wish to align with the reference line), then select Edit Area (All Floors).  I then select the Make Parallel tool, set to rotate the entire polyline, and select my reference line.  Everything rotates, but a line segment of the terrain that I did not select gets the perpendicular treatment.
       
      I know I've done this before, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what user error is involved.
       
      See attached. (Notes in plan)
      Lot Trouble.zip
    • By Designers_Edge
      I appreciate any help or input on this problem.  I have been having this issue for the last 3-4 months and have just been working around it.  I only do as-built and remodel plans, so I need to show the casing widths -especially for kitchen remodels. In a PLAN---For example:  3 1/4" casings when dimensioned, whether with automatic interior dimensions or manual dimensions show up as 3 1/2".  
       
      I have contacted Chief support and sent them a different plan file.  They told me to change the "Rounding Method" in the Dimension Defaults setup.  I have selected both "Grid Rounding" and "Distance Rounding" and it does not make a difference.  I have also tried:  locating first the sides and then changed it to rough opening to see if I could work around this glitch.  NO luck.
       
      I have Chief X9 Interiors and have used Chief since 8.0 and have never had this problem previously.  I even opened one of the Chief Architect templates and drew a simple box with one interior wall and inserted a door, then dimensioned---same issue.  
       
      Here are my default settings


    • By country
      I have my manual dimension defaults set for interior walls center measurements.  When I run a dimension string it picks up everything correctly but!!!!  If I try to extend the string or want to pick up another wall that is offset I cannot snap to the wall center.  It goes to either side of the main layer.  If I move the diamond selection handle in and out on the wall, it will occasionally pick up the center but I haven't been able to find where that exact point is to make it work on a regular basis.
      I have double checked with the defaults and that I have it correct in the Annotation Set that I am using for my CDs.  I have searched for a solution but haven't found anything to help.  I find, doing construction document dimensions that I need to do this to simplify the plans for the contractor but it is taking way to long with this hit and miss problem.  Do I have to do separate strings of dimensions for this, line them up and delete the double dimensions?