cjanderson66

I Love The New Shadow Feature In X8

I love the new shadow featture in x8 it gives my drawings that much more of a punch that I was missing.  I used to have a block in AutoCAD that I would bring in to add that just to give it more of a Architectural Hand drawing that all CAD programs seem to leave out.  Every thing helps as each program evolves.  Now if I could just ask CA to outline all my Elevations to emphasize it that much more.  One other thing that I wish Chief would get rid of is all those damn Arrows and simplify it down to only a few and add a nice thick line Architectural Tic arrow.

Sadowski elevations.pdf

• Upvote 1

Nice.

What settings are you using to send your views? Vector? Tech Illustration? Color off? Sun follows camera? Thanks

That looks so good !  Especially the shadow's soft edges.

I usually wait a while to upgrade but may not be able to now !

Yes please show settings . . . .

Thanks !

Love this feature as well.  Have been waiting on this for years. Hands down Chief Architect is now by far the best drawing software on the market because of this upgrade.

To answer your question Larry...you can use black and white or colored fill when sending a 2d view to layout. I have been using plants in the background as well. The elevations are amazingly good looking.

One note...be sure to have your 3D background turned off in 2D views, or you will have a completely colored elevation view with clouds and sky...or whatever background you are using.

post-77-0-84308400-1453308390_thumb.png

This will definitely be nice to show my clients. I will still wait til march though.

Thank you all for your positive comments and I agree this is one nice beg upgrade just for this feature alone but there are many more and I hope they keep getting better.

As for my settings, it is pretty easy as I send my views off with only Vector view, no color and just play with the adjust Sunlight angles until you like what you see.  I keep the intensity at 100% but adujst the Tilt and Direction until I feel it looks like what I am trying to capture.

If you send as vector view, plot lines, you will get layer line thickness control settings. Live views you can't.

I love the new color and shadow options, but I ran into some kind of bug when sending to CA's print to PDF.  It shifted the color graphics off from the vector graphics.  I submitted a bug report.  Anybody else have problems?

Permit Set1.pdf

open those views and close again, I think it's an old bug that they fixed.

I use Acrobat to convert a color print to grey-scale for a pretty good effect that actually makes the outside lines show are darker lines - but yes, it would be great if we had profile line control - or an easier way to make these lines by hand if we had to.

What I really wish is that the story-pole dimensions worked better.

Current_without_detail sheets 6.pdf

Johnny,

The grayscale does nicely reduce the contrast of the shadows on white.. Not sure of this "Footnotes for everything" convention.. just as easy to directly note the Elevations themselves to me.. easier reading as well. I've seen it on plans as well with everything seemingly on a schedule/list.

Johnny,

The grayscale does nicely reduce the contrast of the shadows on white.. Not sure of this "Footnotes for everything" convention.. just as easy to directly note the Elevations themselves to me.. easier reading as well. I've seen it on plans as well with everything seemingly on a schedule/list.

Yeah, so far I am liking grey-scale for everything. Footnotes are more about accuracy than anything else. I've found notes that exist all over a page are more easy to make mistakes with since you can miss them. When I check plans before they go out it takes 25% of the time with footnotes, and a lot of subs I talk to like them for a similar reason. I guess its a preference thing.